Canon XC15

tomsemiterrific

Just received my new XC15 with XLR attachments. Just threw this up after a hard day's work in the shop---so you can sample the quality of the audio.

I also used the new Production Camera custom profile that is also in the Canon C300 M2.  But this is just a sample of the audio for talking head stuff:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 hours ago, tomsemiterrific said:

Just received my new XC15 with XLR attachments. Just threw this up after a hard day's work in the shop---so you can sample the quality of the audio.

I also used the new Production Camera custom profile that is also in the Canon C300 M2.  But this is just a sample of the audio for talking head stuff:

Looks and sounds great. How's your 1DXii?

52 minutes ago, mercer said:

Looks and sounds great. How's your 1DXii?

It's fantastic when it comes to autofocus---awesome. The image is really wonderful---but, now I'm speaking about video only--I don't think the video image is quite as good as the 1dc. If I was physically able to do the kind of shooting I like to do and handle the manual focusing of the 1dc I would not buy a 1dx2. Frankly, I was wowed at the image of the 1dc like I've never been wowed by any other camera I've owned.

5 minutes ago, tomsemiterrific said:

It's fantastic when it comes to autofocus---awesome. The image is really wonderful---but, now I'm speaking about video only--I don't think the video image is quite as good as the 1dc. If I was physically able to do the kind of shooting I like to do and handle the manual focusing of the 1dc I would not buy a 1dx2. Frankly, I was wowed at the image of the 1dc like I've never been wowed by any other camera I've owned.

Why do you think that is? Meaning why do you think the 1DC is better in terms of IQ than the 1DX2? 

What if you applied Andrew's C-Log? Still think the the IQ is better in the 1DC?

1 hour ago, mkabi said:

Why do you think that is? Meaning why do you think the 1DC is better in terms of IQ than the 1DX2? 

What if you applied Andrew's C-Log? Still think the the IQ is better in the 1DC?

I'm not a techno-guy. My impression is based on the look and how it affects me. Maybe I'll change my mind in time, but as good as the video image of the 1dxmk2 is it didn't knock me out like the color/image of the 1dc. If I had DPAF in the 1dc I think I'd have hard time selling it to buy the 1dxm2.

So it had nothing to do with C-Log?

In any case, it is good to know...

In my opinion, the 1DC is a once in a life-time camera... it is the first of its kind, and because it didn't sell in the boat loads like the other cameras, there is a big chance that there isn't going to be a true successor. The other trend I am seeing is that as time goes forward in the DSLR world at least... I don't think Canon is planning to go backwards in the MP race. I don't ever think they are going to release a a7s competitor so that crop factor is here to stay (and its going to get bigger with more MPs - 18 to 20 to whatever else...) so the crop is either going to get worse or they are going to release the same codec seen in the XC10/XC15 and C300ii, in the regular EOS cameras... but I don't see that happening (meaning the codec change) in the near future either.... I think after a healthy saturation of Cinema cameras and they have exhausted it then it will appear in the lower end cams. 

So you can see why I see the 1DC as a once in a life-time camera, simply because it has the lowest crop and with the original C-log. Not to mention the Super 35mm option. Its originality will be in the sensor size and codec...

2 hours ago, mkabi said:

So it had nothing to do with C-Log?

In any case, it is good to know...

In my opinion, the 1DC is a once in a life-time camera... it is the first of its kind, and because it didn't sell in the boat loads like the other cameras, there is a big chance that there isn't going to be a true successor. The other trend I am seeing is that as time goes forward in the DSLR world at least... I don't think Canon is planning to go backwards in the MP race. I don't ever think they are going to release a a7s competitor so that crop factor is here to stay (and its going to get bigger with more MPs - 18 to 20 to whatever else...) so the crop is either going to get worse or they are going to release the same codec seen in the XC10/XC15 and C300ii, in the regular EOS cameras... but I don't see that happening (meaning the codec change) in the near future either.... I think after a healthy saturation of Cinema cameras and they have exhausted it then it will appear in the lower end cams. 

So you can see why I see the 1DC as a once in a life-time camera, simply because it has the lowest crop and with the original C-log. Not to mention the Super 35mm option. Its originality will be in the sensor size and codec...

IMO it has nothing to do with no C-Log. I have already installed Andrew's C-log and it works fine. It's not identical to Canon's C-log but it has fine dynamic range, grades well, and lots of LUTs work well with it. I just think colors aren't quite as good--and the full frame 1.25 crop of the 1dc is pretty damned special. 

And I agree with you 100% on your comments about the 1dc. The only reason I solid it for the 1dx2 was for the DPAF, which I need for the shooting I do (almost all video). Otherwise, you could not have taken the 1dc from my hands with a crowbar.