DJI just slaughtered GoPro with Mavic

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

To those who still praise action cameras look ; ) beyond the obvious limitations also shown by Mavic, here's some chance to compare both:

:P

hahaha I agree! Good catch!

3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

:-)

Really sucks! He says. So gopro does not?? He says he speaks as filmmaker.... Really? As filmmaker or news shooter??

Funny, people have no idea what it means to be filmmaker. Not even what filmic means. Strange days.

That last video also shows the karma drifting all over the place.  Seems really unsafe to me.  Especially without the sensors.  Hopefully they can fix that in firmware, and soon.  

Last thing we need is a bunch of new drone users crashing their karmas into things.  

GoPro shares halted after devastating quarterly results

The company’s stock trading was halted prior to releasing results that missed revenue expectations by 23 percent and nearly $75 million. When trading began again shares were down 22 percent. This means that in a matter of minutes the market cap of the company melted from $1.23 billion to $972 million — the spontaneous combustion of roughly $250 million in market value.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/03/gopro-trading-halted-as-company-misses-revenue-expectations-by-23/

Indeed. Sad to see. The price to pay when they just release some irrelevant refresh to their previous line.

On DJI side, seems only a limited quantity of Mavic units have been delivered to the first pre-orders placed, so far.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/03/dji-now-says-early-mavic-pro-orders-should-be-processed-in-seven-to-eight-weeks/?ncid=rss

On 31/10/2016 at 3:03 PM, Taranis said:

The last video is very soft around the edges, there's a thread about this here: http://mavicpilots.com/threads/have-anyone-else-experienced-uneven-focus.717/

Makes me want to wait it out...

On 31/10/2016 at 3:43 PM, Emanuel said:

Indeed. It is not the first time this has been noticed.

Because of manual focus? Lens design flaw/issue (remember that's not rare or it is even common to occur with anamorphic lenses, mostly affordable ones) or QC case to comprehend only a part of the production as same as seems to have occurred with Nokia Lumix 1020?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_isFL65kaQ&lc=z12hyhcbkompjfjne23hcrsastjjtjvfy.1478213963178233

"Looked good until I pulled it up on the big screen, it seems like you might have a lens issue, the right side is in focus and the left side is very soft. People have been having this issue, I would look into it". ~ Chad Martin

"setup the c1 or c2 to center focus is the best way to get really sharp videos, you going to be use to this for sure, set this dials to center focus" ~ Francisco Silva

Think it's mostly that people are realizing buying a GoPro doesn't make you a surfer, cliff jumper, wingsuiter, extreme snowboarder, etc. And for whatever they do use it for their current action cam will suffice and they're not too interested in upgrading. Did see one guy in Chinatown getting frustrated at his HERO5 on a selfie stick for not obeying his voice command 'GoPro, take photo', so there's still some people buying 'em, I guess.

Do think they are THE action cam to go for and I have two GoPros myself that come in handy every now and then, but I think the demand has come down and the competetion got more attractive, so it's just a tough position to be in. Offering a whole system around the GoPro was supposed to get things back on track, but I'm not sure how many people will actually get into that sorta thing. The great thing about the GoPro is that it's easy to take with you, mount and operate. Don't see that many people going about their day with a quadcopter and handheld gimbal stabilizer. I like the fact that the new GoPro e.g. offers a touchscreen and is waterproof without a case and has a fairer price than the previous models, but I was kinda expecting some more improvements in the imaging department. Can't tell much difference with HERO4 specs/footage. That is a bit of a shame, since competition is getting stepping up the game considerably with each release... for less money too. And if GoPro wants to remain THE go-to brand, they need to have class leading specs and quality. Still like 'em though. There's something Canon about them. Small incremental updates, but the picture looks pretty sweet right of the bat, little bit thicker with pretty colors.

I do feel abit sorry for them. afterall, they got everyone to use the word "GoPro" instead of action cam. but with devices from the far east like YI 4K, and endless cheap copies, they need to try very hard to differentiate from the rest.

In my opinion, like many other western/hi-tech success stories, they cant complete on manufacturing cost, but they can focus on software and user experience which is often very lacking for the far east product. look at osmo mobile vs the far east offerings; or look at some of the chinese phones (ZTE, LeEco, all just about spec spec spec, and the whole thing just doesn't gel together like a finished/polished product) compared to something like an iphone. but instead, as mentioned, they refreshed the hardware, pushed the price up further, and didn't really improve the software side. Look at the control of Karma, especially that tutorials, they need to put alot more work into that....

i reckon they still have a chance to come back, but they need to do it real soon before speculation become reality.