DJI just slaughtered GoPro with Mavic

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

It's not my video but it's actually my hometown. Anyways, I still think the Gopro 4/5/Phantom 4 looks better than Mavic, but the Mavic definitely has other advantages. 

The GoPro 5 is way ahead of mavic in term of IQ. You have full manual control, great Protune, the new Linear mode that looks great and so on. 
Better wider angle of view for landscape, etc. 

Mavic is great cause very small and good specs. Karma is great because of the detachable camera and gimbal. 2 good drones, depend on your use.

Not completely sure if it is legit, even though, I'd dare to say we might find a Mavic touch there -- tap to focus will surely be pretty useful for a skyline:

On the discussion, it is plainly natural there are much more number of work pieces shot on Phantom or GoPro than Mavic to conclude anything on topic. Straight out of the box, Mavic footage is a way more cinematic because of manual focus and a softer outcome. I concur that some artificial edges are not welcome at all. My perspective too.

7 hours ago, wolf33d said:

The GoPro 5 is way ahead of mavic in term of IQ. You have full manual control, great Protune, the new Linear mode that looks great and so on. 
Better wider angle of view for landscape, etc. 

Mavic is great cause very small and good specs. Karma is great because of the detachable camera and gimbal. 2 good drones, depend on your use.

Full manual control? It has a fix aperture so you have only ISO and Shutter the same manual control that you have on the P4 and on the Mavic. To note that the manual settings on gopro works only for video and not in photo mode (I never ever understood why is like this).... On DJI it works also in photo mode. 

Linear mode that looks great? It is limited to 2.7k and is software based de-fishing that is never as good as a rectilinear lens.

Better wide angle for landscaper? Since when a fisheye is a great landscape lens.

Don't get me wrong I use a lot gopro in my filming but is still a crappy 1/2.3 sensor with fixed aperture fisheye lens.... nothing magic here.

So can you show me a real comparison between a Mavic footage in DLog scaled down to 2.7k to match the resolution of Gopro 5 in linear mode and show the vastly superiority of gpro?

In my opinion all these sony/ambarella 1/2.3 cameras are really similar and not such great quality. The big advantage that are very small and lightweight.

If you want real quality an Inspire with X5 Raw or a M600 / ALTA with a real camera with all the associated problem and challages.

So far I didn't see any video that proves that either the P4, Mavic or Gopro is vastly superior to the others.

Other than the focus and smoother UHD route avoiding such artificial edges for a much pleasant cinematic tool, I concur that's still soon to compare videos made by one and other options. There are only a few samples available out there yet on Mavic side against the older solutions for aerial acquisition with these small "toys". Even though and basically, as bird, we surely have a game changer :-)

And finally, here's an interesting review to also focus on the capture device:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/10/18/dji-mavic-pro-review-is-it-the-perfect-drone-for-the-occasional-flyer/

8 hours ago, shooter said:

You mean the use of aerial shots? It is normal no? New tools, new languages, I think.

Yes. Normal. Thus, worthwhile?  In other words, since the thing is easily do-able and many many people are capable of doing it, what value does it have?

Should one use it just because one can, or can the visuals it offers be implemented creatively?

I had a corporate client demand it on a recent production "just because," and I felt it ultimately looked ridiculous. Ostentatious for no particular reason.  It actually was detrimental to the video. The shots had no motivation. They were just there because the client thought it looked cool. 

Indeed. This is the usual when the introduction of a new technology. À la DOF hype when the 35mm adapters or HDSLRs popped up. There are always consequences as far as aesthetics concerns. Media are a reproduction of their age and technology for sure. As same as happens with society. Reason why a good part of oldest viewers don't seem to much appreciate their contemporary younger fellows' work, actually. Some don't even recognize themselves in the society they live. Or language used, as fairly pointed out.

Here's another sample shot on Mavic:

More stuff related to the DJI Mavic Pro is available here in this YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/epicdigitalfilms/videos

8 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

I have to say I'm intrigued by the Mavic, I travel a lot and the fact that its less than 2 lbs and so damn small makes it something I can throw in my camera backpack and carry almost anywhere. Small differences in footage between the Phantom or the Karma are less significant than actually getting the shot for me. 

I am 100% with you. Nevertheless, I like Mavic pictures better.