DJI just slaughtered GoPro with Mavic

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, JazzBox said:

Ottimo! Anche io sono in attesa della GH5, non vedo l'ora!

Grazie per il consiglio, stavo pensando al Karma per avere anche una GoPro da buttare al mare qui all'Argentario (Toscana), ma in effetti il Mavic sembra più serio come progetto e si trasporta molto più facilmente. A livello di qualità non sarà certo come un'Alexa su un drone da 10.000 euro, quindi tanto vale poterlo trasportare senza sforzo :) 

p.s.: complimenti per "I Cento Passi"! Capolavoro!

Take a look on this cinematic outcome... To whom comes from film realm, such called 'softness' (when not missing focus) is a bless :-)

PS:

Thanks for the compliments on 'I Cento Passi' (dal cuore : ) Speaking of missing links... our memory is, though, full of team work worries, past today. Such as two weeks of shooting to be repeated only because of a DAT tape lost and recording sound irremediably missing, respectively; missing parts to still be credited; €300 to remain as credit card limit in the main method of payment for (shooting) expenses such as mere flight tickets (main cast); the female lead character to be completely erased from the script made with so much love fulfilled by many only a few months before in order to cut off the budget and tighten up efforts or there wouldn't be feature film to show up in the end + the whole participation of a co-production team and checks to sign at one time and follow accordingly, go figure... 

Finally, all this became multiple awarded in Venice since a decade and a half ago, oh well, crazy craft this industry is *Phew*

Tha last video kinda sold me too (kinda). BUT...The first comparison is a joke..He compares a camera with fixed focus to infinity with a camera with adjustable focus on a subject that's 50-70cm away...There is no way that this is not stupid...Actually it is stupid enough for someone to stop the video and wait for the next one to make conclusions...Also, if the footage is legit, mavic's image quality is fine for dayshots but very weak at nightshots. P4 seems to give a more pleasing image at those nightshots with slightly better DR and less noise. Overall, mavic is starting to gain some ground and its totally DJI's fault that it lost its popularity last week. When you produce groundbraking products like this you just don't send the prototypes to fools and if you do, at least try to include a brochure with BIG black letters in a sentence like "tap to focus..."

Tutti frutti! ;)

Yeah. There is something off about it though even when focussed correctly. It's like it renders distant scenes into one big blue greyish atmosphere. Only the foreground subject looks as you'd expect. That is why top down mode looks the best (to me), because basically it's a flat plane without any depth to be messed up. Also something unnatural about the colors maybe. I don't know. But... it's almost a 180 from the first impressions, so I'm starting to warm up to it. Been flying toy quadcopters before (after planes and helis) and tried a couple spy cam DIY solutions, but when things got lawyered, I just gave up on stepping it up. Still don't know if I have the guts to just launch it in the air around here... but I get where the Italians are coming from, that this would be the more innocent option. I suppose this is more of a camera I would take to Spain or Thailand and shoot some footage of silly beach fun. I guess for actual aerial video production work, I'd either need to fully commit and do it as a legit business, or hire someone that has already done just that.

IMHO if we keep the video aside, for a moment, the DJI Mavic is way more advanced than the GoPro Karma, simply by the insane level of its features (travel range, speed, ability to tackle obstacles, follow users, respond to gestures for commands, sending great quality video to the controller/ smartphone, being like 1/3rd or 1/4th the size of the GoPro Karma, etc etc). These features alone push it into a different league. 

Then add the price difference. The GoPro throws in a removable camera, and a removable gimbal, but for a lot more (many hundred dollars more). If DJI had a removable camera module, with a built in stabilizer or a stabilizer stick, the GoPro would have been a joke. I doubt whether Anyone would have bought it.

As a Drone they aren't even in the same category, atleast where features are concerned. 

6 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Take a look on this cinematic outcome... To whom comes from film realm, such called 'softness' (when not missing focus) is a bless :-)

PS:

Thanks for the compliments on 'I Cento Passi' (dal cuore : ) Speaking of missing links... our memory is, though, full of team work worries, past today. Such as two weeks of shooting to be repeated only because of a DAT tape lost and recording sound irremediably missing, respectively; missing parts to still be credited; €300 to remain as credit card limit in the main method of payment for (shooting) expenses such as mere flight tickets (main cast); the female lead character to be completely erased from the script made with so much love fulfilled by many only a few months before in order to cut off the budget and tighten up efforts or there wouldn't be feature film to show up in the end + the whole participation of a co-production team and checks to sign at one time and follow accordingly, go figure... 

Finally, all this became multiple awarded in Venice since a decade and a half ago, oh well, crazy craft this industry is *Phew*

Wow!!! super crazy story!!!

The images from this video are really good to my eyes: no moire, no bad artifacts... smooth movements... I like this little drone! 
Thank you for the advices!

Yeah, they've said that at the announcment event. It's kinda thought for transport... maybe just maybe for no0bs who want to be extra safe for the first couple of flights.

Still not sure about the video quality in general, it has a very signature look to it (in a bad way).

As already said, I don't see it in that way. I've never interested myself for any of these toys based in so small size sensors. Always refused to sign GoPro or Phantom-like signature. Actually, I've always planned to use something from 4/3" format to begin with, when not S35 as much as possible.

This is the first cinematic outcome I've seen from such tiny category of drones.

Really promising to my eyes. Able to shoot wherever a bigger bird won't fly.

Without such ridiculous oversharpened lines to scream the use of cheap gear every time you go with aerial shots in your material. 

Still waiting on a side by side comparison before I draw final conclusions.
But I have a suspicion that the DJI drone has much better stabilisation than the Karma. DJI have been doing this much longer after all.
Also I read some reports that the pre-production Karma drones had reliability issues and some would loose footage on the SD card...sounds like they aren't quite there yet for an official product launch....but we will see.

On 07 ottobre 2016 at 9:47 AM, Emanuel said:

Again from my native country, where DJI has invited a few reps of the 'Internet press' to the European presentation in the sunny Portuguese soil. Here's another sample of the Mavic Pro look. But, that plastic cover shouldn't be there to cover the camera lens when the bird is flying for sure...

To me it is pretty good! The shot on the roof shows that moire is not too severe... so it is already a good point in my opinion.
Two days ago I shot a music video and there was also an operator with his Phantom 3 Pro, it seems more "digital" to me from the shots I have from it.

3 hours ago, JazzBox said:

To me it is pretty good! The shot on the roof shows that moire is not too severe... so it is already a good point in my opinion.
Two days ago I shot a music video and there was also an operator with his Phantom 3 Pro, it seems more "digital" to me from the shots I have from it.

Mio caro, exactly my POV! We both share the same cinematic perspective on motion pictures, let it alone the aerial footage. Unfortunately, people are too uneducated with their small displays. We live in a sad age where artifacts are the king. Sawtooth borders (when not aliasing) are taken for sharp content... What else can we say? *Phew*

To me, this is the first small drone to focus my attention on it. For the same reasons you mention.

Still from the European press presentation in Lisbon (I know very well those locations and how curious is to me to see them to be shot like that with so tiny capture device -- DJI should/could/can slash the GoPro business with that toy/cam beyond the drone industry) take a look from 3:48 minute on:

It's not so much sharpness/contrast as it is actual details and most importantly color... as said before, that top down mode looks real good, everything in one plane. Once you start to add depth, things just seem to get messy and that doesn't just have to do with the new lens and AF. And colors are just weird to me. I'd say footage shot with the Phantom 4/Inspire 1+X5/X5R(OSMO) and probably GoPro Karma, might look a little more hyperrealstic/picture perfect and nicer. To me. So of course it's subjective whether you like that kinda thing or not... you might call it 'digital' or whatever. Also, you saw there that it's not quite as smooth as they as well mentioned separately. I mean. Hands down awesome small camera, no doubt. But not sure about praising sub-par image quality in order to justify buying one. :grin: But then again 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' is what they say...