DJI just slaughtered GoPro with Mavic

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Ki Rin said:

Hopefully they can fix this before the full release. The OOC image right now looks really bad. Seeing them side by side, really makes it stand out. 

I'm 99% convinced at this point that the samples we are seeing from the Mavic is just the unprocessed image from the same sensor as the DJI Phantom 4.  And if you want Phantom 4 quality images, you can get to it with processing.  Either the Mavic doesn't have the processing hardware or DJI just needs to update the firmware so that it changes the processing settings.  Either way, considering I'm not going to make entire 2 hour movies with the Mavic on a daily basis, and drone shots only being a small portion of the entire video I would put together, having to occasionally process a minute or two of the drone footage, although a hassle, isn't that bad.  The Mavic is back in contention in my book.

Sadly the diffrence between P4 and Mavic in image quality seems big, if not huge (at least judging form these early videos). The word "huge" may sound kinda extreme here, but when you have a tiny sensor like this and you need every bit of it to produce a decent image, and then.....Dji cripples this Sony IMXsomething through software to protect Phantom 4's sales...then, yeah the difference is huge. I wanted to like it though...practical as hell..

7 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Seems legit: 

Well, that's more like it. Still remains the issue of occassional washed out and purple bits, but I haven't seen it occur in all clips. And if shots can look like that, why didn't all of their own footage look like that??! (Or is the video a hoax? Shot with something else?) That's the thing that puzzles me the most... these companies often mess up the choice of people who they let shoot their promotional stuff. But yeah, the convenience VS quality Casey was talking about might just slowly starting to get in favor of the Mavic again. Might be a nice little start into aerial videography and then having it mastered by the time the successor comes out next year. Still think the Karma is a fine system though. This is where it really gets tough between the two.

22 minutes ago, DBounce said:

The sensor is the same in both the mavic and p4, so other than focal length and processing everything else should be the same. 

They seem to have a small difference though. P4's sensor effective pixels=12.4 M. Mavic's sensor effective pixels=12.35....It seems that Mavic has the new IMX377 sensor...So we have 4 scenarios: A) Same sensor but different image processing .B) Different sensors & immature image processing on the mavic's side....C) Different quality optics, which i personally doubt. D) That focus thing which i also doubt (you must try really hard to be out of focus with these things or....sorry...you must be a total idiot...).

It does need some work on the color though.  The green and the reds are oversaturated.  Highly likely they will be clipped all the time.  The blue is very apparent in the shadows.  Hopefully they can calibrate color better in a firmware update.  Blue shadows can be handled easy.  The clipped reds and greens are impossible to recover the detail.  Not having to do any color correction would be a huge plus.

On 29/09/2016 at 8:39 AM, Dimitris Stasinos said:

They seem to have a small difference though. ..D) That focus thing which i also doubt (you must try really hard to be out of focus with these things or....sorry...you must be a total idiot...).

They had pre-launch devices. Undoubtedly DJI forgot to set default focus at infinity on this new feature. It's got nothing to do with idiots. Just a simple setting. No drama. 

As I see it the Mavic is a perfect add-on for people who never flew a drone before and that doesn't need pristine 4K quality (who really needs this??). I would get the cheaper Mavic with no remote for someone to start. The Karma or the Phantom, both offer better IQ, are more for people who want's to give weight to drone takes and don't worry about bringing more things. I would get the whole package with batteries, remotes, bag, etc. In Italy with the legal situation, I think a Mavic is better suited for a videographer. 

2 minutes ago, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

As I see it the Mavic is a perfect add-on for people who never flew a drone before and that doesn't need pristine 4K quality (who really needs this??). I would get the cheaper Mavic with no remote for someone to start. The Karma or the Phantom, both offer better IQ, are more for people who want's to give weight to drone takes and don't worry about bringing more things. I would get the whole package with batteries, remotes, bag, etc. In Italy with the legal situation, I think a Mavic is better suited for a videographer. 

In Italy? Si, certo : ) But, to whom wants better IQ, why Phantom or Karma...? C'mon :-)

If you want to be legal 100% you have to take a course, pass an exam, get a license, pay an insurance, etc. DJI Phantoms are sold everywhere and nearly nobody do all those things to be legit. So the problem is if they catch you, I would prefer to be catched with a Mavic, than one of the others. Living in Italy forces you think how to force the law, amico!!!!! ;-DD

Above 2 kilos they demand for pilot license as same as the big ones with people inside... :D Oh yes, I am not seeing the Carabinieri or Polizia Municipale asking the same for it if you're playing with this Mavic, PRO or not.

Anyways, this is funny:

http://www.quadricottero.com/2016/06/enac-pubblica-i-criteri-di.html

"#Enac pubblica i criteri di #inoffensività ma ci lascia perplessi...attualmente nessun modello presente sul mercato rientra tra i parametri, ne sembra fattibile un modello economicamente conveniente che li rispetti."

Another joke:

"Le parti rotanti ( ovvero le eliche ) devono essere intubate o costituite da materiale morbido"

49 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Mavic e' tutto un altro discorso, secondo me : ) GH4/G7 (GH5 arrivera') anche qui :-)

Ottimo! Anche io sono in attesa della GH5, non vedo l'ora!

Grazie per il consiglio, stavo pensando al Karma per avere anche una GoPro da buttare al mare qui all'Argentario (Toscana), ma in effetti il Mavic sembra più serio come progetto e si trasporta molto più facilmente. A livello di qualità non sarà certo come un'Alexa su un drone da 10.000 euro, quindi tanto vale poterlo trasportare senza sforzo :) 

p.s.: complimenti per "I Cento Passi"! Capolavoro!