DJI just slaughtered GoPro with Mavic

Dave Maze

2 hours ago, wolf33d said:

All aerial in this video shot on GoPro 4. Get some sense in your head before saying shit ;)

Sorry dude, I can't help you out... Maybe you took those inserts upside down, trading places between cameras or the tricks@post among the same "mushy and blurry" flaws you find on Mavic... ; ) or those shiny edges to scream sharpness to everyone just not present in the other toy. A certain thing anyone can be sure, though: your enthusiasm seems more the like of an amateur who buys one or another one rather than someone really used to also shoot with these small sensor capture devices, if/when necessary. At least, this is the idea you leave behind the trace of your "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"s and alike. I'm sorry to disappoint you :-)  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

LOL Definitely, quote of this thread!

My vote is on Mavic. Purchase, as well :-)

GoPro is the most horrid camera even before the Lumière brothers did their presentation!

No Protune saves the grace or its absence in pallid colors all the same from one side of spectrum to the other extreme. No idea why people dare to shoot on it other than personal stuff and a few shots as inserts when the magical hour cheats all of us...

The most horrid camera in comparison with what? Dji Mavic?....or Canon 1dc? Lets say you had mavic on your mind...where did you see its grace? Those early videos have been processed and graded in post from pros to look as good as it gets...and they still seem jittery & soft....Not trying to bash you here, just trying to undestand your statement. I am not a fan of GoPro either but you are saying that you will purchase mavic because "No Protune saves the grace or its absence" on GoPro. Cmon... in terms of "real" quality they are both S**T next to a mirrorless camera but this is not what we are discussing here, we are trying to find their pros & cons for casual semi-pro use...right?

51 minutes ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

The most horrid camera in comparison with what? Dji Mavic?....or Canon 1dc? Lets say you had mavic on your mind...where did you see its grace? Those early videos have been processed and graded in post from pros to look as good as it gets...and they still seem jittery & soft....Not trying to bash you here, just trying to undestand your statement. I am not a fan of GoPro either but you are saying that you will purchase mavic because "No Protune saves the grace or its absence" on GoPro. Cmon... in terms of "real" quality they are both S**T next to a mirrorless camera but this is not what we are discussing here, we are trying to find their pros & cons for casual semi-pro use...right?

You bet! : ) In comparison with the excellence a standard like 35mm format (as well, sensor size related) with all the sorts of low-grade variants from 16mm to video has led the motion picture for more than a century to face our eyes. 

Take a second read in my stuff earlier along the thread (posts, likes...). They are all the same shit, more or less. As said before, they can be synonymous of fun, personal use, even some inserts (de)pending on certain circumstances and tricks. No more than that.

A purchase can't necessarily mean a professional tool, as for instance. As same as a toy can be used in a gig if works. Mission accomplished. What's wrong about it? Just don't expect you'll become a race pilot only because you're able to drive fast in the highway with your brand new car. The F1 from 80s, 90s or whatever year you want will always belong to a different league. No matter what techie pins they will try to sell the fanciest new toy you/we all want to buy and play with. So far, at least :-)

20 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Take a second read in my stuff. They are all the same shit, more or less. As said before, they can be synonymous of fun, personal use, even some inserts (de)pending on certain circumstances and tricks. No more than that.

A purchase can't necessarily mean a professional tool, as for instance. As same as a toy can be used in a gig if works. Mission accomplished. What's wrong on it? Just don't expect you'll become a race pilot only because you're able to drive fast in the highway with your brand new car. The F1 from 80s, 90s or whatever year you want will always belong to a different league. No matter what techie pins they will try to sell the fanciest new toy you/we all want to buy and play with.

Nothing wrong with your 35 mm golden standard :). I agree with every sentence you wrote on your last post, there is indeed a thin line between tools and toys which can be surpassed with tricks. But this line gets thinner & thinner every year...I am seeing professionals that own very expensive aerial platforms, building their portfolio from staff that they have shot on their free time using these little guys...Yeah they are made for fun but this is what also feeds professionalism...pure fun...I used a Dji S900 with a GH4 last month. No fun...Acceptable dynamic range, great resolution, nice colors...but no fun...It's not funny (nor proffesional) when you use a 7000 usd machine that might perform an impressing flip of death on a poor man's head because dji messed up it's late update. Look at what Phillip Bloom made with a GoPro3+ and a poor Phantom (try to download the original file):

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

Sorry dude, I can't help you out... Maybe you took those inserts upside down, trading places between cameras or the tricks@post among the same "mushy and blurry" flaws you find on Mavic... ; ) or those shiny edges to scream sharpness to everyone just not present in the other toy. A certain thing anyone can be sure, though: your enthusiasm seems more the like of an amateur who buys one or another one rather than someone really used to also shoot with these small sensor capture devices, if/when necessary. At least, this is the idea you leave behind the trace of your "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"s and alike. I'm sorry to disappoint you :-)  

Yes I am an amateur. I made a few videos in my entire life. 6 of them on YouTube. 
This is my latest one below. Can you show me your 6th video you made as an amateur with no rig or budget so I can see your talent? Sorry if mine does not please you, I am constantly evolving (compared to my previous video, and the previous one) and that's what counts for me.

I know small sensor limitations. I constantly defend larger sensors on this forum. GoPro footage is better than the Mavic is what I am saying here. Take a look at the video above as well as the thailand one by bloom. You can produce good stuff with small sensors, amateur or not, but small sensors are not equals. Neither are lenses and codecs.

No worries, nothing against amateurs. I consider one of them to begin with. Only because I've decided to make this business for a living for more than two decades now, I just don't have videos to show in a personal account online on youtube, vimeo or suchlike. I am used to see my work melt in team work to be screened in Venice, Berlin -- two feature films in the same edition (2014), one of them awarded there made me proud, Sundance (also awarded in the same year edition), Locarno, San Sebastian, San Francisco, Hong Kong or London Film Festivals, among many others worldwide. Follow the IMDb link in my signature, maybe you'll find part of this stuff on youtube like yours. Frankly, no idea. Last time I checked (not fake modesty), I had to ask to put it out of there because was too early to sit in that distribution window; despite the fact we were sharing the same credits alongside a distinguished individual as Spike Lee, producer of the documentary, as well. Certain people are very proud of their work. Some others appreciate to run away from so many worries to occur in a daily basis when they tend to finally be over and you were in the middle of such. I actually am in this industry mostly because of my pleasure to watch a movie, so I try to have fun with the films of others as much as possible. To come here and trade ideas on toys with other amateurs in a deepest geek attitude is something priceless, mark my words. 

Nice piece of yours on youtube, by the way :-)

13 hours ago, wolf33d said:

I got it from digital rev. 

Emanuel. Well in this case the mavic image is atrocious even when non zoomed trust me.

As for GoPro, try Protune with low sharpening and if you still think it looks shit.... Well. 

For me GoPro IQ > Phantom > Mavic. Mavic is a NO GO for video quality. I would get the Karma instead for a better ratio IQ/size

You're an idiot......

Magic footage looks great, especially for it's target market which is online......

People worry about the wrong things, yet 5 years ago something like this was not even possible.....Every time I come to this site it's someone always speaking nonsense..... I wonder why I even visit here as 90% of the people here just live off forums and actually produce no work at all.......

* Regarding video quality, GoPro looks better but the Mavic definitely wins in ease of use. I would purchase the Mavic based off of ease alone, image quality is not everything.........

Thanks for your post. Interesting soft 4K, sharp enough for cinematic inserts to be used if justified. I am sure it'll happen to be in the middle of a few professional productions worldwide. My beef with GoPro is also the sharp edges.

1 hour ago, Orangenz said:

Looks like many are setting focus onto themselves when it's close to the ground and not changing to infinity. 

2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Too soft, here and there. Enough balance in some others. That's the business of the shooter. To balance the elements.

Mushy outcome both from low bitrate codec and youtube encoding don't help, not even to evaluate either, the miracles a good colorist can achieve from.

It's right on the borderline of being terrific. Another update in 6 months and it will be there. A drone that doesn't take the whole back seat. More than enough to tell some cool stories.

3 hours ago, Orangenz said:

It's right on the borderline of being terrific. Another update in 6 months and it will be there. A drone that doesn't take the whole back seat. More than enough to tell some cool stories.

This time from my native country...

BTW, that Roman temple seen on DJI video presentation is also a Portuguese location [ LINK ]

From today's Casey Neistat's vlog, he compared the Mavic to the DJI Phantom 4.  So I took a frame from the Mavic and applied Sharpness, Unsharp Mask, Defringe, and WB to match the Phantom 4.  I think you can get it to look 95% identical.  Is he using a retail Mavic?  Maybe he just needs a firmware update.

[Untitl]092923h35m57.jpg

[Untitl]092923h36m51.jpg

[Untitl]092923h36m09.jpg