DJI just slaughtered GoPro with Mavic

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
28 minutes ago, Ivanhurba said:

Damn, just damn. Mi little girl wants a drone, now I have an excuse.

Any idea of the price?

Well the live stream for the official announcement just started like five minutes ago, I'm sure they'll give some more info: 

http://live.dji.com/adventure/

EDIT: Looks like it's about $750 drone-only, without the controller (using smartphone only to control the drone). $999 for the drone + controller, and a combo package with a carrying bag, extra props and extra battery for $1300, so definitely competitive with the karma, and waaaaay more compact. 

14 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Looks excellent. And super compact size.  And Huge price difference between this and the GoPro. The GoPro is $800 for Drone Only (without camera). 

@DaveAltizer chose the right word; slaughter comes to mind. Both are good options, the gopro comes with the hand stabilizer but the ease of use, size and sensors for not throwing the thing against a wall its going to make it a no brainer. Hell, It's the first time I'm thinking I could use a drone in weddings as a solo operator, hit, get the shot and run, go figure!

Not sure about the image quality and stabilization. Seems a step back from the X3 even I think..?

That said... we'll need to await further footage and reviews. But man, that thing is sexy like hell. Compact like nothing else! And unlike GoPro, this does have more safety features. The worst thing to happen is it hitting something and crashing down. This certainly wins as a quadcopter... not sure if it wins when it comes down to image quality. But I have a feeling there's bound to be a lot of comparison videos once these start to ship out! Crazy exciting times! :grin:

Although I'm still not sure this is worth my trouble... operating aerial video platforms like this remains a legal hassle in some if not most areas. Used to be a grey zone and an expensive endavour... but with it getting cheaper and cheaper and getting in the hands of people who are unresponsible with it... I'm not looking forward to be getting one so I can shoot some gorgeous footage of... pastures... just about the only place remaining you're allowed to shoot (if you're lucky... and with permission from the land owner). :frown:

3 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Not sure about the image quality and stabilization. Seems a step back from the X3 even I think..?

From the specs I would say it is very similar, it seems like the same sensor, different lens 28mm 2.2 vs 20 2.8 of the x3 and "only" 96 fps at 1080p instead of 120fps. Sensor size, mpix, datarate, gimbal specs seems the same or comparable as the phantom 4. Of course only a direct real world comparison will tell the reality but on paper it seems very comparable with the X3...

For me GoPro slaughtered DJI. I don't care about its speed or other specs, I care about the fact that for the same price I get a GoPro 5 that I will use on ground a lot, a handheld gimbal that is amazing, and a drone that is a perfect mix between size and stability. This thing is too small and shaky (see the verge video). 

Anyone using a GoPro for action videos should get the Karma instead.

I think the plastic protective dome might degrade image quality quite a bit by generating reflections and flares. I mean, if that's the best footage they have to show for... then I'm not all that into it (the girl running on the beach just looked washed out or something? The shot at 2:43 I would never have included. There's like washed out bits and purple).

What the hell is going on here??

NevuQq1.png

Surely they can not strap a big camera to it, given it's compact size, so I think there's some consessions going on. If like the video shows, you're hiking about and absolutely don't want to be weighed down... want something that is aware of its surroundings and have a high level of automization... this is the one to get. However... I think that if I were to get one, I'd more lean towards the Karma... I also think bigger and heavier platforms allow for a smoother flight. Will have to see how this pans out... ;)

P.s. make sure to watch the official video in best quality here (4K VS 720p in the topic lead post).

That was my initial reaction as well.

The Mavic definitely has the compact size and feature advantage. BUT, the karma seems like a really cool modular system (basically 3 products in one), and I'm a bit dubious about the stability of the Mavic. Also looks like it might be quite fragile and break easily. 
Too soon to say though. We'll have to wait for some direct comparisons. 

5 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

I think the plastic protective dome might degrade image quality quite a bit by generating reflections and flares. I mean, if that's the best footage they have to show for... then I'm not all that into it (the girl running on the beach just looked washed out or something? The shot at 2:43 I would never have included. There's like washed out bits and purple).

What the hell is going on here??

NevuQq1.png

Surely they can not strap a big camera to it, given it's compact size, so I think there's some consessions going on. If like the video shows, you're hiking about and absolutely don't want to be weighed down... want something that is aware of its surroundings and have a high level of automization... this is the one to get. However... I think that if I were to get one, I'd more lean towards the Karma... I also think bigger and heavier platforms allow for a smoother flight. Will have to see how this pans out... ;)

You can remove the plastic dome.

Yeah, but this for me is kind of a throwback to the days where we would stick 808 keychain spycams underneath a cheapass WLToys quadcopter. It had issues just like that.

-- Anyways, years ago I was inspired by videos like:

and

Then DJI made it possible for normal (but talented) human beings to get creative with stuff like that!

Now it is more advanced and cheaper than ever! And with a whole lot more competition. There's also Yuneec, 3DR and Quanum (Cheerson) for example and then there's all these Kickstarter/Indiegogo projects (that may or may not come to fruition)... it's exciting, but also worth checking out what works best with your... budget/expectations/needs. A lot of people will say 'content is king', but especially with aerial video I find there's a whole lot to the image quality. So the one platform is more of a social tool, like an enhanced selfie stick... that puts you in the moment, having something cool to show for... while something else might be more just to stun and wow. I like the diversity and the fact there's more options now.

55 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

For me GoPro slaughtered DJI. I don't care about its speed or other specs, I care about the fact that for the same price I get a GoPro 5 that I will use on ground a lot, a handheld gimbal that is amazing, and a drone that is a perfect mix between size and stability. This thing is too small and shaky (see the verge video). 

Anyone using a GoPro for action videos should get the Karma instead.

It's just too bad that the GoPro doesn't have a follow mode.

44 minutes ago, jacoblewis said:

As a drone... Mavic > GoPro. It's more compact. It's more portable. Better flight times. Better range. More features (sensors, follow-mode, etc.). 

As a camera... Mavic < GoPro. Good luck getting ND onto your Mavic. I've also never been impressed with footage from DJI. Colors look weird and so many artifacts. GoPro undoubtedly produces a better image with ProTune (if you know what you're doing). 

I think the Karma also produces better value. $999 gives you a drone, a handheld gimbal and a gopro. "It's not just a drone." The Mavic is a single-use item. You can get a greater variety of shots with the Karma that will ultimately look and grade better than the Mavic. The Mavic looks like a pretty fun drone to fly though!

I actually watched the entire GoPro launch video (I had avoided it earlier, thinking GoPro were packing the same thing, again, with a new name, ans a higher price).

But the new GoPro 5, the new GoPro session and the Karma seem to have finally made GoPro start innovating again. I like the voice command feature, the built-in waterproof housing, and the stabilisation  (I wonder if it is in the 4k mode as well?). Also, like mentioned above the whole Karma kit is gr8 (though for $1099, or $350 more than the DJI, and about 3 times the size). 

DJI can improve their video quality by merely improving the bitrate and having a flat profile option for post.

The GoPro Karma is anything but portable. That is one lie GoPro should stop peddling.