EVF for Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

Fil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Interested in this myself, one inexpensive solution I am looking at might be something like this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1265749-REG/ikan_vl35_3_5_4k_support.html with a cheap loupe..

The $8 loupe I got for my eos-m is alot better than any evf I have used so far..  hopefully we will see even cheaper, hi quality 3.5 & 4 inch monitors, the 5 and ups just seem way too big if you want a really compact rig.

I would love to see a really nice, small monitor for about us $125... or there is always the Frankenstein option 

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that a Zacuto Gratical EVF (any version) is the only choice to be able to focus in bright conditions.

I know there are very bright 1000 nit plus monitors out there and recorder/monitor versions too such as the Flame but given the prices are all fairly similar the Zacutos are the only ones and can be ported to other cameras purchased in the future anyways.

A 1000 nit plus 3.5 inch screen does not exist...yet or a bright small oled.

I can't comment on the lower budget Feelworld 350 nor any of the other 3.5 inch (thereabouts) screen evfs such as those made by Cineroid, Alphatron or the Zacuto flip ups etc. No doubt they have their place, but for a BM Micro Cinema camera to keep things relatively small, the Oled evfs seem to be best suited, albeit at a high price. The ursa evf or the Zacuto Eye are the only players, I think. Redrock Micro ventured into an evf once 5 years or so ago but it didn't happen oddly enough. There is definitely a gap to be filled.

Obviously, an external monitor also has its benefits, as far as I'm concerned I want to keep it small, max 5 inch screen for the Micro. I have been waiting for a Lilliput Q5 but they seem to be taking an age to get released and they aren't for sale yet, not here anyway. The iKan VL35 (315 nits) and the DH5e (450 nits) are also interesting. I will buy one these first and avoid the SmallHD 5 series as their price is high and not too far from an Oled evf.

I suppose the other route given the high cost of Oled evfs is a 1000 nit or higher external monitor, like the SmallHD 'Brite' or even the Atoms Ninja/Shogun Flame/Inferno with their 1500 nits. But we are getting into 7 inch screen sizes now and perhaps a little too far from the compactness being sought for the Micro camera.

No matter which way you look at things a compromise is always required.

How would you expect to keep the BMMCC setup small using the Ursa EVF? You'd need a HDMI to SDI converter for the video signal and you need to power the EVF via XLR. So you're now at BMMCC + shoulder rig + a small HDMI-SDI converter like the Atomos ones + a V mount battery to power everything. That's not what I'd consider compact. Same for the Zacuto Gratical Eye, it doesn't take HDMI and needs external power via 2 pin lemo.

I'd go BMMCC + SmallHD 501 + SmallHD side finder. Both runs on LP-E6 batteries, too.

1 hour ago, Phil A said:

How would you expect to keep the BMMCC setup small using the Ursa EVF? You'd need a HDMI to SDI converter for the video signal and you need to power the EVF via XLR. So you're now at BMMCC + shoulder rig + a small HDMI-SDI converter like the Atomos ones + a V mount battery to power everything. That's not what I'd consider compact. Same for the Zacuto Gratical Eye, it doesn't take HDMI and needs external power via 2 pin lemo.

I'd go BMMCC + SmallHD 501 + SmallHD side finder. Both runs on LP-E6 batteries, too.

Yes it would be bulking it out, I haven't looked into all the variables of providing power via the smallest battery possible nor the smallest convertor. I originally looked at the Gratical X as its powered by an LPE6 battery. The SmallHD 501 with 'Sidefinder' does look interesting I agree. What do you use?

18 minutes ago, Fil said:

Yes it would be bulking it out, I haven't looked into all the variables of providing power via the smallest battery possible nor the smallest convertor. I originally looked at the Gratical X as its powered by an LPE6 battery. The SmallHD 501 with 'Sidefinder' does look interesting I agree. What do you use?

I don't have the BMMCC, I am too afraid of moire and aliasing but still consider to get a used one once more are out in the wild. I'd rather have something in between BMMCC/BMPCC and the BMCC/BMPC4k, but that gets discussed to death in another thread.

I'm using the SmallHD 501 (versatility would suggest getting the 502 with HDMi and SDI) with a Sony A6300 and love it. It has more tools than I'd ever use, the "oversharpening" focus assist works great and I couldn't imagine downgrading to a monitor without LUT support after getting used to it (I shot footage, then graded it in Resolve to my liking and exported the grade as a LUT for monitoring). Will probably get the sidefinder soon but you should read reviews, it is also no perfect solution as it uses a mirror and some people say it feels distorted.

8 hours ago, tweak said:

I found it to be a total waste of money, but hey that's just my opinion.

Thanks for your opinion.  Can you give any details as to why you think it is a waste of money?

7 hours ago, Fil said:

I can't comment on the lower budget Feelworld 350 nor any of the other 3.5 inch (thereabouts) screen evfs such as those made by Cineroid, Alphatron or the Zacuto flip ups etc. No doubt they have their place,

Yes. They have their place -- especially if you want to frame and focus in bright sunlight, which is the primary purpose of a viewfinder.

7 hours ago, Fil said:

... but for a BM Micro Cinema camera to keep things relatively small, the Oled evfs seem to be best suited, albeit at a high price.

[snip]

Obviously, an external monitor also has its benefits, as far as I'm concerned I want to keep it small, max 5 inch screen for the Micro.

Not sure what you are after.  You don't accept a 3.5" viewfinder, yet you accept a 5" monitor.

13 hours ago, tupp said:

Yes. They have their place -- especially if you want to frame and focus in bright sunlight, which is the primary purpose of a viewfinder.

Not sure what you are after.  You don't accept a 3.5" viewfinder, yet you accept a 5" monitor.

Thanks for your post Tupp.

I was hoping to find a bright small display, the brighter monitor output choices seem to start with the 5 inch displays.

4 hours ago, Fil said:

I was hoping to find a bright small display, the brighter monitor output choices seem to start with the 5 inch displays.

I should have guessed that from the title of the thread,  "EVF for Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera."

I have no idea how bright the Feelworld viewfinder is (nor do I know the brightness of other viewfinders), but here's a possibly useful info tidbit:  a viewfinder doesn't have to be as bright as a monitor, because all of the ambient light is eliminated once one puts one eye to the eyepiece.