Any Vloggers? The Canon M5

SR

70D and 80D are used for vlogging because they provide the excellent Canon Dual Pixel AF which is important for one-man shows, especially daily vlogs. Panasonic GX85, Olympus E-M5.2 provide better image quality and stabilization but do net get the AF-job done. The CDAF implementations are simply not reliable enough. You do not see the focus hunting in the small flip-out screen during recording. Of course there is obvious stuff, where the camera focusses on the background an is not willig to change but the problem are the small, nearly unnoticeable glitches, when the face tracking loses the face for a fraction of a second. Once back at the NLE you realize that it looks awful but today's episode needs to be pushed out ...

Vlogging is a growing business, pobably understimated by poeple that are not used to it. A lot of money is involved when the number of followers get over one million and while content is still king the quality level is quite high.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, mojo43 said:

Why not just use a rx100m4? Flip out screen, 4k and tiny? 

Mic input. It's going to be a nice camera and I rather have 1080 50p than 4k 25p in case I need the slow motion, which is quite often. But that screen, that flip down freaking screen. Why can't we have tilty flippy screens everywhere?

1 hour ago, Sedazin said:

70D and 80D are used for vlogging because they provide the excellent Canon Dual Pixel AF which is important for one-man shows, especially daily vlogs. Panasonic GX85, Olympus E-M5.2 provide better image quality and stabilization but do net get the AF-job done. The CDAF implementations are simply not reliable enough. You do not see the focus hunting in the small flip-out screen during recording. Of course there is obvious stuff, where the camera focusses on the background an is not willig to change but the problem are the small, nearly unnoticeable glitches, when the face tracking loses the face for a fraction of a second. Once back at the NLE you realize that it looks awful but today's episode needs to be pushed out ...

Vlogging is a growing business, pobably understimated by poeple that are not used to it. A lot of money is involved when the number of followers get over one million and while content is still king the quality level is quite high.

No country for old men, I guess.  

See, if it was me, I'd set the focus to a certain distance and just stay in that space.  That's my preference.  But I like things to emulate analog and don't really rely on dem dere fancy gadgets, whatsits, and knobbery snickerdoodles. 

But hey, if I did a blog nobody would watch it as it would just be me standing on the front porch yelling at the whippersnappers to get the hell off my fresh cut lawn.

3 hours ago, Ivanhurba said:

Mic input. It's going to be a nice camera and I rather have 1080 50p than 4k 25p in case I need the slow motion, which is quite often. But that screen, that flip down freaking screen. Why can't we have tilty flippy screens everywhere?

Ah yes, good point. Too bad it doesn't have a mic input... the rx100 is a fantastic little cam.

12 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Well, if you're serious about best quality, you can take the advice of Policar and get an Alexa!  It'll shoot like it's built for professional use, log endless hours on it, no problem.

And while I hear it's got half way decent IQ. No flip screen or ibis though, sorry!

Anyway, I'll still maintain that any decent hybrid camera from 2015/2016 will be fine and will produce a good image, even when considering all the other things you just mentioned.

The ironic thing to me is that the young folks that are doing this manonthestreet vlog stuff need similar gear as to what I'm searching out for my film documentary productions. 

...and that's where I'm coming from too. Honestly, id feel fine shooting with just about any new small hybrid camera. 

If you gave me a Fuji Xpro2 or a Panasonic GX85 or a Canon whatever, I feel I could get out of it what I want.

All I suggested was basing your decision around your needs. If your needs require shooting in mixed light (and yours, specifically, seem not to, which is fine), the Alexa on the high end and Canon dSLRs on the low end are best suited to those needs. Obviously no one who's vlogging is using an Alexa.

I don't get what's "ironic" about a vlogger having similar needs to a documentarian (or "film documentary producer," whatever that means). Vlogging is an offshoot of documentary, and a popular one. But I agree almost any camera would be suitable from an image quality-perspective for both. The focus on image over content is a little silly here sometimes, and it seems you'd agree.

12 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Well, if you're serious about best quality, you can take the advice of Policar and get an Alexa!  It'll shoot like it's built for professional use, log endless hours on it, no problem.

And while I hear it's got half way decent IQ. No flip screen or ibis though, sorry!

Anyway, I'll still maintain that any decent hybrid camera from 2015/2016 will be fine and will produce a good image, even when considering all the other things you just mentioned.

The ironic thing to me is that the young folks that are doing this manonthestreet vlog stuff need similar gear as to what I'm searching out for my film documentary productions. 

...and that's where I'm coming from too. Honestly, id feel fine shooting with just about any new small hybrid camera. 

If you gave me a Fuji Xpro2 or a Panasonic GX85 or a Canon whatever, I feel I could get out of it what I want.

20 hours ago, SR said:

It's all about the best quality you can get with speed and content in mind.

I don't even think we're talking about the same thing anymore. Not sure why you're insistent on it being done a certain way. I find the dual pixel function to be extremely useful. The Neistat-esque vlogging styles nowadays are more visceral. The idea of quality is less on well exposed highlights and shadows, but on consistency of image (content, basically). Sure, I'm not going to be vlogging while moving about with a boosted board and carrying a drink, but it's easy to see why it's one less thing to worry about when your image is not dictated by where you setup your tripod or rigs and if your lens is in focus.

If we talk about daily vlogging - with daily being one key to success - these guys need tools that work reliable and efficient even when skating on a hoverboard through NYC. No chance to use manual focus and only limited time for checking exposure levels. it really is a different game.

Of course all the review-, ASMR- and unboxing guys/gals and other people that do not leave their house for vlogging are pretty happy with manual focus and they can use the mentioned cameras that output nice UHD material like the RX100M4, GX8x, GH4.

I wouldn't really say Caseys blogs rely on quality at all, in fact I would say most of the time the quality of the image is pretty average. Lots of shots he could easily just lock off the focus instead of having it on AF and glitching every now and again, but I guess he's free-styling it a lot and wants to be as flexible as possible.
I think his image would look better with a gx85 and a small light 12-35 or something, also would be a lot easier to lug around than the setup he has (and smoother). I can't believe he hand holds that brick on the end of a gorilla pod everyday.

22 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Rx100iv overheats way to easy for it to be something I would recommend to vloggers.

Huh, I have never had it over heat on me. But I guess I am not running it for long periods of time.

Still wouldn't trust it. Buggiest and laggiest camera I ever touched. Had two from two different batches. Junk imo. Also the AF and MF are both like glue.

Better get the mkiii

Wow, we have had completely different outcomes with the camera. I really think it's great. I have had no problems with it and it shoots such clean 4k.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:14 AM, Sedazin said:

Most Vloggers are sitting yammering on about whatever their beef is in one position in front of a camera however, and you don't need DPAF for that (in fact, autofocus of any kind is probably a disadvantage).

1 hour ago, tugela said:

Most Vloggers are sitting yammering on about whatever their beef is in one position in front of a camera however, and you don't need DPAF for that (in fact, autofocus of any kind is probably a disadvantage).

How is autofocus a disadvantage for vlogging?