Any Vloggers? The Canon M5

SR

Hi, guys. Any vloggers here? I'm considering the new Canon M5 as a dedicated BTS/vlog camera. While not exactly a game-changer for filmmakers, it looks to be a sweet spot for vloggers. Duel pixel AF, 5-axis stabilization,  and waaay lighter than their 80D.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, SR said:

Hi, guys. Any vloggers here? I'm considering the new Canon M5 as a dedicated BTS/vlog camera. While not exactly a game-changer for filmmakers, it looks to be a sweet spot for vloggers. Duel pixel AF, 5-axis stabilization,  and waaay lighter than their 80D.

There's an entire thread on the EOS M5 here: 

2 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

It's a vlog.  Just about anything will do.

Couldn't disagree more strongly. Features like image stabilization, miniaturized ergonomics, low light ability, autofocus, and ability to shoot under mixed and poor light are far more important to a blogger than to someone on a controlled set where they have a gaffer, AC, etc. to take care of it. 

I haven't used the M5, but the feature set sounds good for vloggers.

1 hour ago, iamoui said:

There's an entire thread on the EOS M5 here: 

Oh, my bad! Searching "Canon M5" didn't bring it up on the first page.

24 minutes ago, dvcrn said:

I think if vlogging is your focus, you need a flippy screen to see what's in frame. The M5 does not have that. Just get the 80D instead.

Edit: oh it has a down-flipping screen apparently. I would prefer a sideways though. Can't even put it on a surface/tripod and monitor at the same time?

It does seem super lightweight, so you wouldn't need extra help hand holding it. So no other gears besides a hotshoe mic. The lack of side flip screen is a bit of a bummer, but definitely not a deal-breaker. 

If you're going to be on camera a lot then the screen flipping down is weird to put it on a gorilla stick or tripod. What was Canon thinking with that design? Why can't they just have it go up or sideways like everyone else?

Also, no 4k, and I see some vloggers, especially the ones focusing on tech and video/photography uploading to 4k now on youtube and vimeo and they're stuff looks fantastic on my monitor.

The autofocusing seems nice, but maybe the g85 will have improved theirs from the g7?

edit: also stabilization seems software based not mechanical.

44 minutes ago, Policar said:

Couldn't disagree more strongly. Features like image stabilization, miniaturized ergonomics, low light ability, autofocus, and ability to shoot under mixed and poor light are far more important to a blogger than to someone on a controlled set where they have a gaffer, AC, etc. to take care of it. 

Isn't v-blogging the type of video where you talk to your audience in front of a camera that is fixed (because there is nobody else to operate it)?

... who uses a gorillapod and has the 80D with side flipped out screen and wears sunglasses to hide the fact he's checking the framing on the right of the camera. The M5 already borrows some of its look from the Canon G5X. They should've implemented the same display solution. Or atleast have given it the same as found on the G7XII.

But there are clear reasons vloggers consider Canon. Quick shooting. Quick turnarounds. AF is the smoothest out there, color is the nicest out of the box, tons of compatible lenses and accessories native to the system (and quite adaptable (more so than the Nikon mount)). 1080p keeps editing not that demanding and allows for quick rendering and uploads. It the least effort with acceptable results. But the M5 falls short I think...

4 hours ago, Policar said:

Agree to disagree then.

Seriously, it's just vlogging. Any hybrid made in the past year will work more than adequately.

And it doesn't matter a whole lot what camera one uses in bad light.

Bad light is bad light.

16 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Agree to disagree then.

Seriously, it's just vlogging. Any hybrid made in the past year will work more than adequately.

Bad light is bad light.

Agree to disagree. Performance under mixed light is what attracted many of my coworkers to the Alexa, so it clearly matters to them. My friend who had his work graded by Stefan Sonnenfeld at CO3 bore witness to a long rant about chroma clipping on the low end cameras that were used on the project so it matters to colorists, too.

I agree that for most users, almost anything will work for vlogging. But most users aren't going out of their way to ask about it. Most weddings and corporate (or even festival films) would be fine on a 7D and an iLav, but users here are more likely to skew higher end. I don't see vlogging as any more or less noble than weddings and corporate or short films. But I do think it requires a bit more in the way of automation and a small form factor and less in the way of technical polish.

14 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Agree to disagree then.

Bad light is bad light.

it depends on how serious you take vlogging. For example if you care about high quality content and want decent audio, you need a camera with good preamps and a mic-in. You can of course stick your cage with external recorder on a mini tripod and carry that around but your arms might hurt very fast. 

Same goes for autofocus and shakey footage. You can take any hybrid, but the autofocus is mostly pretty bad and with vlogging since you don't really script anything, you don't want to have ruined footage because the camera decided to focus on the background instead of the target. Depending on how much you want to have in the frame at all time, you might also want a decent lens option. 

That's why if you care about quality you need a camera which does all of this out of the box decently in a lightweld body that you can carry around. And considering this, there are just not many cameras that are able to deal with all of this. The most popular ones are 70D and 80D. 

Though yes, this is mostly a edge-case. Most users are probably going to be happy with a G7X or RX100IV. I personally I found the audio too bad and the lens not wide enough. 

46 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Agree to disagree then.

Bad light is bad light.

I understand where you're coming from, but you are clearly underestimating vlogging. Although I'm not planning on doing it full-time or as seriously as many out there, it's easy to see why it's important what camera you choose, given that some of them have it nearly 10 hours a day on them. The more serious folks like Casey Neistat are editing and releasing one video per day. Personally I wouldn't care for 4k footage, due to its size (and rolling shutter). And I'd want something pleasing without having to colorgrade too much. It's all about the best quality you can get with speed and content in mind.

7 hours ago, SR said:

I understand where you're coming from, but you are clearly underestimating vlogging. Although I'm not planning on doing it full-time or as seriously as many out there, it's easy to see why it's important what camera you choose, given that some of them have it nearly 10 hours a day on them. The more serious folks like Casey Neistat are editing and releasing one video per day. Personally I wouldn't care for 4k footage, due to its size (and rolling shutter). And I'd want something pleasing without having to colorgrade too much. It's all about the best quality you can get with speed and content in mind.

Well, if you're serious about best quality, you can take the advice of Policar and get an Alexa!  It'll shoot like it's built for professional use, log endless hours on it, no problem.

And while I hear it's got half way decent IQ. No flip screen or ibis though, sorry!

Anyway, I'll still maintain that any decent hybrid camera from 2015/2016 will be fine and will produce a good image, even when considering all the other things you just mentioned.

The ironic thing to me is that the young folks that are doing this manonthestreet vlog stuff need similar gear as to what I'm searching out for my film documentary productions. 

...and that's where I'm coming from too. Honestly, id feel fine shooting with just about any new small hybrid camera. 

If you gave me a Fuji Xpro2 or a Panasonic GX85 or a Canon whatever, I feel I could get out of it what I want.