Dual Pixel AF - Is there anything that comes close?

dvcrn

23 minutes ago, DBounce said:

That camera looks out of focus and probably needs autofocus microadjustment performed. FYI, I cannot recall ever looking at my 1DXMkii 4k footage and feeling it lacked anything in the image department.  And I have compared it directly to my Sony A7Rii, Sony A7ii and Samsung NX1. To my eyes it handily beats all of those cameras. 

I have seen some nice looking footage from the 5DMkIV. But this footage in the video link you list looks off. I'm guessing it's related to the body he has, not all 5DMkIVs.

I agree with you on this. 1DXII footage is glorious! I wouldn't mind going in on Canon if it wasn't for that price tag. $6000 USD. I could get 2 A7RIIs with that money, or one and some amazing lenses. If they had a version without the stills capabilities but all of that video goodies for half the price, I would consider it. But that would have been the 5DIV before it got announced. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I feel your pain @dvcrn! There really is no free lunch and it's very difficult to make informed decisions sometimes as there's so much noise you need to cancel out to get a clear picture.

Investing in glass is wise as lenses can basically last you a lifetime and resale is always easier with minimal loss, but it's still tough... Do you buy lenses that can move with you through each system if you need to change, or go native so you get the system benefits? I'm always chasing my tail on this one and have ended up with half my lenses being native m43 and half Nikon AI-S.

Clever move from Canon with DPAF, again strengthening investment in their glass. It's just a shame you have to spend at least £4k on a Canon camera to get solid and sharp 1080p in 2016!

All good fun!

This is exactly the pain I'm feeling. Glad to hear I am not alone with this :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, lwestfall said:

Exactly, it's such a love-hate relationship Canon (and really every other manufacturer) forces us into. Nothing can autofocus in video like Canon DPAF. But unfortunately there is much less 4k detail in the 5D Mark IV vs. the GH4 and especially a6300: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n7Qvu1KMt8 I haven't seen yet how the 1DX Mark II compares, but I'm guessing it's the same, since there is still no oversampling involved. The a6300 is pretty quick at autofocus in video but doesn't make the transitions as smoothly as Canon DPAF (or even the equally high-res NX1, although the NX1 loses focus way too much: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqon9ZRx9r8 There is some hope in the E-M1 II and a99 II, but they still don't have the complete superfine super AF coverage that Canon DPAF has. But since the Samsung Galaxy S7 and Note 7 have nice DPAF too, I don't see why no one else is doing it in ILCs. Such a shame there's no NX1 Mark II on the horizon...

I've seen that video, and if you click on this link, it shows a certain comment and replies at the top: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqon9ZRx9r8&lc=z13td13pqyzvsncp304cijwhsorqdfkpmeg

Conclusion: this is mainly a low light comparison of video AF. So not very meaningful to say Canon is better if you mean Canon DPAF in good light.

I've never tried Canon's video DPAF. I actually think Sony's video AF is better than Samsung's because Sony seems to prioritize faces. Samsung locks on to whatever is closest to the camera in my experience, which might be a bowl when your kid is sitting at the table. At least it's easy to manually set the focus point with the Samsung touch screen, but Sony's better automation is helpful when you're filming your kids bouncing all over the room unpredictably.