Shogun Inferno + FS5

Oliver Daniel

My company is looking at grabbing an FS5 with the Shogun Inferno for a super duper all-rounder package - yet details seem to be scarce about how these work together. My understanding from reading various comments and reviews on FS-RAW is that the Shogun Inferno will do everything the Odyssey 7Q does. Anyone heard anything different? 

Also, my other reservation is the ergonomics of having the Atomos on the very small FS5. I love a large screen, however I'm thinking of the best way to make this ergonomic for handheld video, I don't use sticks often. Pictures I've seen look a bit silly with some spidery type magic arm with an Atomos Recorder looking like it's flattening the FS5, like a big elephant sat on a mouse. 

There's a bit of footage out there for FS5 RAW/ProRes - not a lot though. Anyone seen anything decent shot with this? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I started a thread about this a while back. There's some stuff there, but I'm sure if any of it is with the Atamos. 

Atamos seems to be able to do everything the 7Q+ can, but with a higher res HDR monitor. I'm not at all a fan of Convergent's confusing firmware modules, so I'd go with Atamos. It's possible that I read somewhere that the 7Q can do 120 bursts, but I'm not sure on that so take it with a huge grain of salt. 

I had considered getting a long cable between the FS5 and Atamos for times when I still wanted the small footprint of the FS5, but that obviously won't work all the time. I wish Atamos made a box, no screen, that could do the raw/prores thing. Then you could just attach it to the fs5.

34 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

I started a thread about this a while back. There's some stuff there, but I'm sure if any of it is with the Atamos. 

Atamos seems to be able to do everything the 7Q+ can, but with a higher res HDR monitor. I'm not at all a fan of Convergent's confusing firmware modules, so I'd go with Atamos. It's possible that I read somewhere that the 7Q can do 120 bursts, but I'm not sure on that so take it with a huge grain of salt. 

I had considered getting a long cable between the FS5 and Atamos for times when I still wanted the small footprint of the FS5, but that obviously won't work all the time. I wish Atamos made a box, no screen, that could do the raw/prores thing. Then you could just attach it to the fs5.

Cheers thanks. 

I agree with your opinion there needs to be a smaller solution - even a 5" would be great. 

I don't like the FS-RAW license thing you have to do - I think we're due past that part in product design where we have to pay more on top to just get the functions we want to unlock, but obviously not. 

Also I prefer the U.I of the Atomos - the Odyssey looks a bit 1990s in comparison. I enjoy having nice U.I. 

From the research I've done, apparently the Shogun Inferno will do the 4k120fps burst, because the recorder now does 4k60fps (this is what the burst is wrapped in). Not absolutely sure though, no idea how to actually ask Atomos themselves. 

The odyssey can definitely do the 4k 120p, I have the fs5 with raw and a 7q+ here and we use it a fair bit. It does 3.8ish seconds before stopping and buffers the files (it takes about 4-5 seconds to get them to the odyssey).

I don't know if the Atomos will be able to do it, or the CDNG raw highspeed just because I know the Odyssey uses 2 ssds to get the raw highspeed written...not sure on the 4k burst (I don't think the odyssey is limiting factor here but the camera...it can't output the 4k 120p signal for very long).

16 hours ago, Nick Hughes said:

CDNG Recording on the inferno seems to have been delayed, meaning that for the time being only RAW>ProRes recording will be available. Not a huge killer for me personally, but something to consider.

True, I wouldn't use RAW that often. Just on those big "money shots" where image quality is paramount. 

I'm liking the power in those ProRes files, downloaded some to play with - fantastic to grade. 

Just need to find out if the Atomos can match the 7Q for FS-RAW capabilities, then I think I'll pick this package up:)

• 3 weeks later...
On 22 September 2016 at 0:10 PM, AaronChicago said:

I hope the Inferno can match O7Q capabilities b/c I didn't like the O7Q as a monitor. The Atomos monitors are so much better IMO.

Further to my post today, I've just fond out that the Shogun Inferno WILL be able to match the 7Q in recording features: 

• Continuous HFR in 4-5 weeks. 
  • 4k120fps burst in next firmware update. 
  • RAW to ProRes up to 4k60p available now. 

The only thing it won't do is DNG at 240fps, however I wouldn't use that anyway as the files sizes would be ridiculous. 

I used the FS5 bare bones on a shoot the other day, and the image is fantastic if your grading and exposure is decent. It seems like the most versatile package on the market - great for point and shoot/ run n gun and beastly for higher end commercial work with the external. 

...no idea how to actually ask Atomos themselves. 

They're fairly responsive if you tweet them @AtomosNews. FWIW, additionally, I tweeted them during IBC and they told me that CDNG recording for the Flame is in internal beta and looking good for release 'in a few weeks', so I would imagine the Inferno timescales are similar.

1 hour ago, Jpr said:

I still haven't seen any mention of 4k 120p on the inferno.

I contacted them and they said it will be in the next firmware update in 4-5 weeks: 

"Hi Oliver, for the FS5 we can do the HD video burst mode now (120p as 16s burst & 240p as 8s burst), there is a bug with the 4K DCI Raw burst (120p as 4s burst) that will be fixed for the next firmware release. For continuous record we will do the HD/2K Raw to ProRes/DNxHR at 100/120/200/240p at the next firmware. Following that we will do Raw CDNG up to 4K 30p and 2K 120p. Keep in mind all our Raw is free, our monitor is 1500nit & HDR, no 4Gb file size limit, XLR audio etc but I'm sure you've done your research. Best resources are the specs list on the website or in the range brochure for everything else.”

If your company is not in any real hurry to purchase one or the other.

I would suggest to rent and do a comparison, while you are at it.. please rent the C500 too :)

Do a solid 4K 120fps test... With FS5 & Odyssey and repeat with FS5 & Shogun Inferno.

Do the same with C500 (if you plan on renting that is,,,)

Then put up a comparison video.

58 minutes ago, mkabi said:

If your company is not in any real hurry to purchase one or the other.

I would suggest to rent and do a comparison, while you are at it.. please rent the C500 too :)

Do a solid 4K 120fps test... With FS5 & Odyssey and repeat with FS5 & Shogun Inferno.

Do the same with C500 (if you plan on renting that is,,,)

Then put up a comparison video.

Tried out the FS5 bare bones and really liked it. 

Set to use with 7Q+ on rental soon. 

Not interested in the C500.

Comparison video... I'm probably one of the least scientific shooters on this forum. As long as it looks good and does what I want, that's all I need. No pixel peeping necessary. 

On 9/21/2016 at 4:07 PM, Oliver Daniel said:

I agree with your opinion there needs to be a smaller solution - even a 5" would be great. 

In the form of Small HD 502 and Sidefinder option would be brilliant. I couple an Assassin with a caged A7smk2 and am starting to really tire of the awkward, top heavy form factor. Especially using the chunky Sony batteries for longer life than the Atomos ones.