Canon 6D vs 5D MkIII vs 7D MkII for filming with EOSHD C-Log

JazzBox

Dear all,

I've bought Andrew's profiles and tired on my father's 6D (I'll try also on his 5D MkIII as soon as possible).

I'm considering to buy a Canon body to use with EOSHD Log-C profile, which one do you suggest?

Which are pro and cons of 6D, 5D MkIII and 7D MkII?

I'd prefer to not use Magic Lantern and just go with a nice Log-C profile, maybe recording externally in ProRes if needed for bigger projects, but the codec with Andrew's profile looks great until 3200 ISO on 6D.

Thank you!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, tweak said:

mk3 for sure.

The 6D is outstanding in low light 3200 ISO. I could not imagine that it was so clean!
Is the 5D MkIII the same? I ask, because I find a demo 6D for 900 € and a barely used 5D MkIII for 2000 €.... both in great conditions, but the difference worths 1100 €?
And what about the 7D MkII? 

I search the cleanest ISO (and 6D seems far better then my GH4), the cleanes (no noise) LOG for a better liberty when grading. 

Super 35 like (7D MkII) sensor would be enough for me, but the full frame look is not bad at all :)  

Thank you :)  

If you're buying it mainly for video, I'd think a rebel or eos-m could be all you'd need. Maybe by the 80d you start to see actual improvements in video for detail and artefacts, maybe dynamic range. But that might be all imagined, and all you gain is digital sharpening. Haven't seen enough comparisons to know. The 5diii is probably best for moire, low light, and if you want full frame (though even then, you can speedboost an eos-m). A d5500 or d750 might be smarter all around though. Eoshd's clog has helped sustain my first camera purchase, on the cheap cheap side, but I don't know about investing into canon for it, unless you're also getting dual pixel auto focus or sexy 1dxii image quality at 4k60p

8 hours ago, Liam said:

If you're buying it mainly for video, I'd think a rebel or eos-m could be all you'd need. Maybe by the 80d you start to see actual improvements in video for detail and artefacts, maybe dynamic range. But that might be all imagined, and all you gain is digital sharpening. Haven't seen enough comparisons to know. The 5diii is probably best for moire, low light, and if you want full frame (though even then, you can speedboost an eos-m). A d5500 or d750 might be smarter all around though. Eoshd's clog has helped sustain my first camera purchase, on the cheap cheap side, but I don't know about investing into canon for it, unless you're also getting dual pixel auto focus or sexy 1dxii image quality at 4k60p

I just shot videos and I normally use Panasonic cameras (GH4 and G7).
I also own a BlackMagic Micro Cinema, probably the best one I have, but it is slower for 99% of my works.

So a Canon with EOSHD C-Log could be the one that gives me the flat look of BlackMagic with the easiness of a DSLR (no monitor to rig, no cables etc...).

Of course I'm happy with GH4 and G7 and I'll buy the GH5 as soon as possible, but a Canon with EOSHD C-Log could be a good substitute for the Micro Cinema Camera...

6 hours ago, Dave Del Real said:

I have a couple of 7D2 bodies and they're great with Andrew's Clog. Plus the 7D2 has clean HDMI out where as the 80D does not. I also use my cameras with Atomos Ninja 2 recorders to get ProRes files - very helpful for smooth editing and easier on the grading process. Just my thoughts.

What about high ISO?  (1600-3200)
I would use it with Contax Zeiss lenses, so I don't need AF functions.
Thank you!

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

If you're going to buy a Canon DSLR and **not** use Magic Lantern then you're really throwing your money away. 
One of the few rare good reasons to consider a Canon DSLR for filmmaking is because of Magic Lantern. 

I don't know that I agree with this. Canon colors offer the most cinematic images straight out of camera. Are there better options... Sure there always are better options, no matter the camera. 

6 hours ago, JazzBox said:

I just shot videos and I normally use Panasonic cameras (GH4 and G7).
I also own a BlackMagic Micro Cinema, probably the best one I have, but it is slower for 99% of my works.

So a Canon with EOSHD C-Log could be the one that gives me the flat look of BlackMagic with the easiness of a DSLR (no monitor to rig, no cables etc...).

Of course I'm happy with GH4 and G7 and I'll buy the GH5 as soon as possible, but a Canon with EOSHD C-Log could be a good substitute for the Micro Cinema Camera...

What about high ISO?  (1600-3200)
I would use it with Contax Zeiss lenses, so I don't need AF functions.
Thank you!

Sorry to disappoint you, but none of the Canons are good replacement for Micro Cinema Camera. All Canons in HD mode are disappointing crap vs your mentioned GH4 or Micro Cinema Camera. C-log does not fix the muddy pixels. Only 5DmarkIV and 1DX mark II and 1DC produce video quality which can replace the Micro Cinema Camera. If you want Canon HD-video, you can as well buy used 5DmarkII and you lose about nothing vs your list (except for more moire than 5DmarkIII), Canon HD video has not improved at all since 5D mark II came. Even 1DX mark II produces crappy HD-video and is only usable in 4K mode. 

In fact you can buy used 5D2 for less than new Rebel and it is a good camera in still mode, much superior to Rebel in image quality. I had my 5D2 until 1DX2 came despite also owning BMCC and GH4. GH4 loses badly in still mode to the old 5D.I had Magic Lantern installed and the MLraw out of it was reasonable quality despite of the moire.

• Administrators
On 20 September 2016 at 1:44 PM, JazzBox said:

Which are pro and cons of 6D, 5D MkIII and 7D MkII?

Out of those the 5D Mark III is of course the best but it is not exactly the cheapest.

Oddly I find the 50MP 5DS shoots the best quality 1080p of all the Canon DSLRs right now. It's very detailed.

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Out of those the 5D Mark III is of course the best but it is not exactly the cheapest.

Oddly I find the 50MP 5DS shoots the best quality 1080p of all the Canon DSLRs right now. It's very detailed.

Thank you very much!

I'll ask my father to try the 5DMkIII as soon as possible... 
Do you think it worths to sell both the BlackMagic Micro Cinema and the GH4 in order to raise some money for the 5DMkIII and shoot EOSHD Log-C? 

Or it is better to wait, not sell the Micro, sell the GH4 (I also have the G7) and take the 5DMkIII when I'll have money?

6D at 3200 ISO was a shock for me: super clean, no noise at all. Horrible colors in "neutral", gorgeous cinematic colors with your EOSHD C-Log, graded in 1" with FilmConvert 1DC profile. I did not see moire from 6D, but I was shooting at home just to try your profile.

Anyway how is 7D MkII at 1600-3200 ISO? And moire? Is the 60p decent like the on on GH4 or is it full of artifacts? 

Thank you very much for your kind support and for this great profile!

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Intersting about the 5Ds. How's moire and aliasing on that body?

13 minutes ago, JazzBox said:

...6D at 3200 ISO was a shock for me: super clean, no noise at all. Horrible colors in "neutral", gorgeous cinematic colors with your EOSHD C-Log, graded in 1" with FilmConvert 1DC profile. I did not see moire from 6D, but I was shooting at home just to try your profile.

Anyway how is 7D MkII at 1600-3200 ISO? And moire? Is the 60p decent like the on on GH4 or is it full of artifacts? 

Thank you very much for your kind support and for this great profile!

7D2 is pretty good up to 3200 ISO. No moire or aliasing - very similar to the 5D3 in look. I had a couple of GH4's and sold them, couldn't stand the colors.

14 minutes ago, Dave Del Real said:

7D2 is pretty good up to 3200 ISO. No moire or aliasing - very similar to the 5D3 in look. I had a couple of GH4's and sold them, couldn't stand the colors.

I like the GH4, but I love the Canon skin tones. Of course the GH4 has a lot more things for video making, but if the 60p from 7dMkII is not bad I could consider to buy it!

14 hours ago, karoliina said:

Sorry to disappoint you, but none of the Canons are good replacement for Micro Cinema Camera. All Canons in HD mode are disappointing crap vs your mentioned GH4 or Micro Cinema Camera. C-log does not fix the muddy pixels. Only 5DmarkIV and 1DX mark II and 1DC produce video quality which can replace the Micro Cinema Camera. If you want Canon HD-video, you can as well buy used 5DmarkII and you lose about nothing vs your list (except for more moire than 5DmarkIII), Canon HD video has not improved at all since 5D mark II came. Even 1DX mark II produces crappy HD-video and is only usable in 4K mode. 

In fact you can buy used 5D2 for less than new Rebel and it is a good camera in still mode, much superior to Rebel in image quality. I had my 5D2 until 1DX2 came despite also owning BMCC and GH4. GH4 loses badly in still mode to the old 5D.I had Magic Lantern installed and the MLraw out of it was reasonable quality despite of the moire.

Agree completly !