Sony A58 (and future NEX) with new sensor?

Julian

According to rumors the upcomping Sony A58 will get a new 20MP sensor.

This will probably replace the current 16 MP sensor and I would expect new NEX camera's will also get this sensor (except for the NEX-3N, which will be released soon with the current 16MP sensor).

I'm really curious how this new 20MP sensor will turn out. I hope it will be as good, or better, than the Toshiba 24MP sensor in de Nikon D5200 for video.

A NEX-5R or NEX-6 replacement with this new 20MP sensor would be great if it is on par with the Toshiba-sensor. Especially combined with the speed booster.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Not necessarily. Over the years sensors get better. The current 16 megapixel Sony-sensor has been around for about 3 years. It has improved since, but it's still based on the same design (I suppose). A new sensor generation can improve both resolution and low light performance.

The current 16 and 24 megapixelsensors are much better in low light than the 6 or 8 megapixel sensors the same size from a decade ago.

• Administrators

That's a good question Rungunshoot.

I will probably add that comparison to the Nikon D5200 review.

So far it is really nice in low light. It will be cleaner (no moire) and more detailed. At ISO 3200 with Speed Booster the NEX 5N might get you more in the shadows though.

The only thing I don't like about the 5n in low light is the blocky grain structure and soft image at ISO 3200.  You can really see the compression and noise reduction working overtime.

I really like the grain of the hacked GH2 and RX100.  Both those cameras retain fine detail at any ISO.  If the D5200 has a sharper grain, that for me would offset a bit of overall luminosity.

I really like the grain of the hacked GH2 and RX100.  Both those cameras retain fine detail at any ISO.

And the RX100 is a very high mega pixel camera, especially considering the sensor size, so it's very likely that a new sensor could indeed be much better in low light, even with a higher megapixel count.

Bruno, you're totally right about the Rx100. Excited to see what comes of the new sensors, especially since the NEX-5r and NEX-6 turned out to be steps backward in the video IQ department.  I bought the NEX 6 because they reportedly reduced the overheating issue, but  aliasing and moire are far more noticeable than the 5n on any fine detail or contrasty edges.  I'm returning it.