Dont forget Olympus (em1ii)

Mattias Burling

Is the euro price out yet? I believe this and the GH5 are 1999$, but the euro prices are completely different usually.

If they stick (a few months after being officialy out) for 1999€, with a kit lens, then they could possible sell some cameras, a bit difficult when the Sony's being 1/3-1/4 of the price less (and I am sure they are working on 10bit already, spring time they will have an a6666 with 10bit recording and better touch screen implementation, overheating at 6,66seconds, but who cares, the spec sheet will seem right) and Fuji a good quite bit lower, but 10 bit recording it is something for sure.

I believe, that outside this forum, and for 2017 at least, 10bit video is not going to push sales much, and this forum is just a small glimpse of the real world, and of sales. How many people from here own a top Olympus, and how many a GH4? 10/40? Less? How many of those will buy into those cameras? 5/20, less?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, sgreszcz said:

Reverting back to my normal, bitter old, self - for having the camera in his hands for three weeks, this one-minute clip is a bit underwhelming. 

Question: Janne Amunet says 'this camera likes underexposure'. Does he mean the meter tends to overexpose, or that clips actually look better when they are darker? I'm not sure I understand. I don't have experience with that many cameras, but I know that my GH4 gets noisy when underexposed. But to get properly exposed shots, I almost always have to stop down a touch from what the histogram says. 

The Olympus seems very prone to clipping highlights. Think I've noticed that here and there. I believe the consensus in this particular case is: you protect your highlights and you raise the shadows. Sensor performance apparently has gotten better and the introduced noise looks fine and organic, keeping things acceptable and in check (the GH4 behaves poorly in this regard, improved much on the G7 and later cameras already).

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

that clips actually look better when they are darker? 

Based on my EM5II, the answer is: "the clips look better slightly under."

BTW, that review in regards to ergos and operation pretty much sums up my EM5II experience.  It's one of those cams where the whole is more than the sum of its parts.

I am impressed to see that one shot @:54 and realize what's going on there.  That sort of "transparent" delivery of what would otherwise be a worthless shot is nothing to be ignored as a doc film maker.

Glad to see Olympus in the game at any rate.

I think the E-M1ii is looking pretty great the only downside is the price.  Olympus have also been very good with firmware updates for the E-M1, and we should see further improvements to the E-M1ii as well.

The E-M1ii still has a slight bob when walking, but I have found putting the E-M1 on a photo tripod, and then hanging this upside down with legs collapsed and hanging open, gripping the centre pole -helps largely eliminate this when coupled with a good walking technique.  The E-M1ii should be better still, and a hell of a lot quicker than setting up a gimbal when you want a tracking shot.

3 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

I am impressed to see that one shot @:54 and realize what's going on there.  That sort of "transparent" delivery of what would otherwise be a worthless shot is nothing to be ignored as a doc film maker.

Yes, that bouncing car interior shot is quite impressive.

If anyone gets this camera for video then the first thing they should do is disable the digital stabilization when walking:

12 hours ago, jonpais said:

You are right, but it appears that the NR on the Olympus has smoothed away a bit of detail as well...

That comparison was done with UHD and not C4K. The latter appears to be better:

On 2.11.2016 at 8:32 AM, John Brawley said:

And yes, I'm planning to shoot some video to try and see what we can do with this camera, hopefully in the next few weeks.  Let me know if you have any ideas ;-)

JB  

Dear John,

In your prospective test please distinguish when you use zeiss cinema lenses and when olympus pro lensing, maybe even compare these sets.  I look forward to seeing how much cinematic look you can get from m43.  This because i am prejudiced against investing in native m43 glass 

best,

Yeah, would be cool to get an updated shootout like Shane Hurlbut did once in a three part series: http://www.thehurlblog.com/?s=micro+part . He tested the GH4 with Panaleica, Voigtländers and Olympus M.Zuiko MSC lenses. But throw in the PRO series... maybe SLR Magic, PrimeCircle, Illumina 35, Veydra and XEEN and you got yourself material for a new comparison!

Pretty unlikely, but should you be in the Vienna area here's some info about an upcoming event:

qPvtd9d.png

vom 24. – 26. November 2016 präsentieren wir das Beste aus der Welt der Technik und Design für Fotografie, Bearbeitung und Veredelung. Wir haben mit den führenden Herstellern auf der photokina in Köln eine Angebotspalette für Sie vorbereitet, die Sie nicht verpassen sollten.

18 Promotoren und unsere freundlichen Mitarbeiter beraten Sie gern.

Auswahl der präsentierte Produkte:

• Leica TL
  • Panasonic FZ2000
  • Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II und das neue M.Zuiko 12-100mm
  • Sony Alpha 99 Mark II
  • DJI Magic Pro Quadrocopter
  • Apple MacBook Pro mit Touch Bar und Touch ID

~ https://www.digitalstore.at/news/376