Dont forget Olympus (em1ii)

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, liork said:

4K compilation, I guess it was not shot with flat profile:

And maybe the distortion or loss in sharpening I see in a couple of videos is the E-stabilization activated. But WTH, the rolling shutter is gone, how Olympus managed to do it?

Man, that footage looks processed to death. Shouldn't be surprised, as Olympus JPEGs are heavily tweaked, but look how much sharpening there is on the birds' feathers. Look how the noise reduction turns all the grass into mush. Look how most colors have little or no variation across the object, just a wash of one single color.

There's definitely a place for a small camera with IBIS, solid AF, low rolling shutter, and nice colors out of the box; in fact, it seems like the perfect run and gun/travel/gimbal companion. But I don't think it could be my only camera, and probably not my A-cam on a narrative.

1 hour ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Man, that footage looks processed to death. Shouldn't be surprised, as Olympus JPEGs are heavily tweaked, but look how much sharpening there is on the birds' feathers. Look how the noise reduction turns all the grass into mush. Look how most colors have little or no variation across the object, just a wash of one single color.

There's definitely a place for a small camera with IBIS, solid AF, low rolling shutter, and nice colors out of the box; in fact, it seems like the perfect run and gun/travel/gimbal companion. But I don't think it could be my only camera, and probably not my A-cam on a narrative.

Are you watching this on a 4K monitor?

Yeah, but isn't that another case of the:

On 5-11-2016 at 1:49 PM, Cinegain said:

Yeah, Olympus = photographer's brand first. So most of these folks enrolled in the Olympus Visionary Program, they might know how to take picture or two, but... video... maybe not so much. That's also why nothing looks like make-up was applied in post to make it look extra pretty. Often photographers have a more realistic approach as to what the footage should look like. It's more about capturing the moment (as close as it gets in-camera) and not messing with it too much (in post). Photographers also think very practical, so rather than using an ND filter, they probably up the shutterspeed. Everything considered, in video that might quickly translate to a boring tv-esque look. Indeed it would've helped to have more people who actually know video well do something with it, because even with the older E-M1 and E-M5 Mark II there were some talented people that knew the strong points for video and the weaknesses and shoot and grade accordingly, creating some sweet stuff. I never understand these companies and how they choose to promote their video functionality, they sometimes do a pretty lousy job at showcasing its potential, a shame, really.

[..]

After seeing these official videos from Olympus Australia, i've asked Michael Hurren some questions. Here's the answer i've got from him:

"The video was shot in Cinema 4k, so 4096X2060 px, 24fps at 180' Shutter (48th/sec)
There's plenty of latitude in the files, the extra dynamic range, video colour profile and especially the high bit rate means theres lots of information to work with. I like this camera a lot, files and colour look so great straight out of the camera, and I find i don't need to do much work at all as long as I have exposed for the highlights I want to keep and dial in the correct white balance.
Post wise I edited and graded in FCPX on my Mac Pro, and used some plugins to give me curves. everything works without a hitch.
I don't like running variable ND's because of the colour shifts and cross hatching, so I started with 4x4 Formatt Hitech plain ND's, but they were giving me a green cast, so I moved to my set of Hoya multicoated ND's and the results were much better."

I've asked