Dont forget Olympus (em1ii)

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

i believe this was just release today.  I am not sure how this would compare to the GH4.

http://www.olympus.com.au/Products/Interchangeable-Lens-Cameras/Olympus-OM-D/E-M1-Mark-II/Specifications

Battery life for movie recording

Approx. 90 minutes (under standard JEITA testing)

Approx. 150 minutes (when zoom and other operational functions are not used)

*When repeatedly recording at the maximum time of 29 minutes

I'm encouraged, but still waiting for the reviews.  The thing about Olympus, for me, is that it actually encouraged me to explore more stills photography.  Usually I kept those cameras separate, even though I certainly use all sorts of "hybrids" that technically do both.

I'd normally shoot stills on Fuji and video on whatever else...until I used the EM5II.  Liked it so much it became my stills cameras AND motion picture camera.  At least until I started shooting 4k on the GX85.

Anyway, would love to parse down and just have one camera, two primes, and my 12-40 f2.8 for my upcoming 2017 work.  If, and only if, it makes sense for video.  We shall see.

https://robinwong.blogspot.com/2016/09/olympus-mzuiko-25mm-f12-pro-lens-review.html

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Leica_DG_Nocticron_42-5mm_f1-2_H-NS043E/

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/tag/olympus/

Here's a half baked review from Steve's Digicams with a few video samples. 

http://www.steves-digicams.com/blog/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-review/

Steve Huff posted a video way down his long winded part 1 review.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2016/11/01/the-olympus-e-m1-mkii-review-part-1-iceland/

No RS tests, as if it would have been so hard to do a couple whip pans while walking around Iceland for a few days. Lots of features not tested either, like tracking AF, video AF and other functions. The rush to get these reviews out first result in incomplete testing that reads more like previews kills a lot of the reviewers credibility.

Read the Gordon Liang's (Cameralabs) XT2 review by comparison, lots of in depth testing of all the AF functions, all the video functions and little things like actual battery levels when shooting multiple clips after hitting the record time limit. That in addition to comprehensive ISO tests and such. Spending three days with a camera is not enough time for a real review.

As an aside - I have to admit, at first I balked at the price. But the more I think about it, the better this camera is starting to look as rolling shutter looks really well controlled and the emphasis on speed addresses one of my main gripes about most mirrorless cameras. The touchscreen has me rethinking my decision to move from Sony to the Fuji XT2. The 12-100 and crazy weather sealing would make a great all around travel/video setup and almost completely eliminates the need for support/stabilization. Then you add the 7-14 and a few small/fast primes like the 12/2, 17/25/45/75 f1.8's and you have a pretty good travel/doc kit.

I need two bodies with complete cross compatibility in terms of batteries and such, and $4000 for a pair of EM1.2's as opposed to $3500 for two XT2's (including one with the 18-55 lens) is still a tough pill to swallow. IBIS, touchscreen, weather sealing with lower IQ stills (EM1.2) vs. better stills and 4k that looks better to me at a much smaller bitrate (XT2).

Hmmm...

On 02/11/2016 at 5:32 AM, John Brawley said:

It's a major major improvement in video, not just because of the 4K.  It's the reduce aliasing too.  

The HDMI out is 8 bit 422 however, the image is just a huge leap forward.  

Frankly what I've enjoyed most is using it as a stills camera.  It handles so beautifully and the AF is insanely fast.  

The stills have plenty of punch and are also a noticeable jump in terms of res.  

I say that as a fan of the EM1 Mark 1.  The Mark 2 is a giant leap forward just in stills mode.  Same can be said for the video.  I honestly think Olympus have hit one out of the park here.  Even if I didn't have my relationship with Olympus I would be buying this camera.  

And yes, I'm planning to shoot some video to try and see what we can do with this camera, hopefully in the next few weeks.  Let me know if you have any ideas ;-)

JB  

John, I've just read the manual, and one info is not exactly clear (and could explain the very high bitrates of the both 4k modes): in one point it says "AVCHD/H.264 / Motion JPEG" as video formats, and that the bitrates of the 4k modes could not be altered.

Could you confirm that the 4k and 4K DCi modes are Motion JPEG, and not H.264?

Waiting for your further tests. :)

#Correction:

Forget it, a closer look at the manual (page 56) clarifies it. 4k and 1080p modes are MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, the Motion JPEG mode is 720p.

21 hours ago, liork said:

Another sample, no problem with rolling shutter:

The rolling shutter free image is amazing. This puts this camera in another level. It's one of the specs that differentiates the pro cameras. And now we might have a consumer camera with good overall performance. The color are nice too IMHO.