Dont forget Olympus (em1ii)

Mattias Burling

1 hour ago, Don Kotlos said:

Thanks John, any more thoughts you want to share or is it going to be a blog update?

Like 10bit HDMI output ? (only way for me to justify this crazy crazy price :))

It's a major major improvement in video, not just because of the 4K.  It's the reduce aliasing too.  

The HDMI out is 8 bit 422 however, the image is just a huge leap forward.  

Frankly what I've enjoyed most is using it as a stills camera.  It handles so beautifully and the AF is insanely fast.  

The stills have plenty of punch and are also a noticeable jump in terms of res.  

I say that as a fan of the EM1 Mark 1.  The Mark 2 is a giant leap forward just in stills mode.  Same can be said for the video.  I honestly think Olympus have hit one out of the park here.  Even if I didn't have my relationship with Olympus I would be buying this camera.  

And yes, I'm planning to shoot some video to try and see what we can do with this camera, hopefully in the next few weeks.  Let me know if you have any ideas ;-)

JB  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, John Brawley said:

Let me know if you have any ideas ;-)

JB  

Yes, I was expecting you would get one from the beginning! I hope you get all it's performance. I just have one request and it's to check if there's any improvement in the 1080 50p video side since it's still what I use the most. That and maybe to check if you can shot a video with AF-C at all time; it would be a nice stress test if it's really that good. Hopefully it will be worth the price hike.

14 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

Wex in the UK is now listing it for pre-order (stock due Mid-December) at £1849 body-only, £2399 as a kit with the with 12-40mm PRO lens.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-digital-camera-body/p1607761

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-digital-camera-with-12-40mm-pro-lens/p1611181

£1849 = $2268.94 crazy

Kinda off topic, and sorry for this, but...normally EU prices are even more than UK prices..seriously, that is a lot of money for m4/3 cameras, and a lot of money for good pro lenses to (the kit seems like the best offer though, if you are going for this camera, and do not have any other pro zoom lens). 

I thought that smaller/lighter cameras/sensors/lenses would be less money, but it seems that that is not the case anymore.

I really enjoyed the GH4 when it was the most modern mirrorless for video a few years ago, but the rest doesn't cut it anymore and the 5 is just far away from now. I am really worrying that m4/3 sensors are in their limits with current technology, and I am not sure Sony will manufacture a solution for them soon.

One considerable option could be a variable sensor, like the JVC LS300 has, native m4/3, but with the ability of taking APS-C lenses, and zoom prime function. That would be something.

Even thought I detaste the Sony experience so far, in the end, most of us we will consider a a7000+a7markIII combo, in a couple of years to cover all bases.

For now, I am staying with the NX1/NX500 28mgpxl BSI (15fps, non crop 4K for NX1) and the 20mgpxl APS-C of 3000. Every announcement, I squeeze another extra year of this discontinued system.

4 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

I'm not sure why everyone is so shocked by the price. Sure it's m43, but it's practically the most advanced and usable hybrid camera yet to come out. 

I'm inclined to agree. 

When you look at other cameras out there, especially in a similar sensor size, there's not much that touches it for STILLS work. 

Perhaps we're forgetting that it's a stills camera first and foremost, competing with flagship cameras from other brands that cost a lot more (albeit in larger sensor sizes)

JB

@JB, sounds good. They've also told me that it 'will produce great video and is just ideal for video making. Also C-AF will not be a problem. I hope you stay tuned until the offical launch', so that got me pretty curious (though not taking their word for it)! As you said, the E-M1 is just lovely for stills, you could probably go out with a little shoulderbag and have the 7-14, 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO and 75mm f/1.8 in there and you're set for some serious shooting!

For those who are hybrid shooters, that are actually more filmmakers, there's the GH-series if you want that LOG, 10-bit output, advanced slowmo, anamorphic mode, TC, etc. But now, the primarily stills hybrid shooters can have something really impressive stills wise, with insane speed. Thing before was... if you shot a video with the E-M1, it wasn't on the level its stills were. I was hoping that had finally changed (because the E-M5 Mark II didn't really). And now the E-M1 Mark II has the vari-angle screen. The headphone jack and everything. It has become a proper allround tool for video shooting. Just all depends now on the quality. I was afraid Olympus was going to put such a stills focus on this, that it wouldn't even get 4K. That it was going to be riddled with aliasing/moiré and compression junk... or have a weird crop or something. If they manage to just pull off nice video... like a Canon, Nikon or Fujifilm would for example (they don't have incredible GH-line features either), then I'd be a happy camper.

And people need somewhere to go... so the flagships are always going to jump, that's just going to push the prices. I'm glad that's one of the reasons with Panasonic the G80/85/81 and GX80/85 for example are a thing. With Olympus you've got the E-M5 and E-M10 lines. But with the up in quality and prices in lenses, to get the most out of it, you need the body that extracts everything out of those puppies; no concessions. Unfortunately that means with each flagship prices are going up instead of same or down. That's also something you must've noticed with the other brands that drive innovation (like Sony). But... if it delivers... I'll cough up the dosh and upgrade my E-M1 to a Mark II. But... that's a stills camera gone usable for video shooting. There's still the GH4 that's like the ultimate tool for video with all bells 'n whistles. The GH5 is a little further along the way, but it will also have a significant up in price. But it will have some sick features that you can't deny. I'm already rocking multiple cameras. I either go out and have the deciding factor to be taking stills OR video and pack accordingly. But it's nice that you can take solid video with a stills camera and that you can take stills with a primarily video camera. Or sometimes I want to pack light and discrete... well, the GX80 with 20mm f/1.7 covers that. I don't see having choices as a burden. If anything, it gives me more freedom.

12 minutes ago, DPC said:

Except that choices cost money and that limits freedom.

Well. Yeah. Then there's that. :sweat_smile:

But I like fullframe, I really do, the look, the performance. But it's just not me, primarily for size reasons. But also... go buy yourself the A7RII or 5DmkIV... and then add a couple of quality lenses. Now that really is going to set you back some proper casheroos! Suddenly a top end 2000,- body and a 1000,- lens doesn't sound that out of line for going pro. But yeah... ヽ($_€)ノ

From the latest press release:

4. Stunning UHD Video Capture

Digital Cinema Standard 4K videos 
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II supports Digital Cinema Standard 4K (4096x2060 pixels) video capture9 at a 24P frame rate and a bit rate of up to 237 Mbps for authentic movie production. The 20.4 megapixel Live MOS sensor provides a read speed three times faster than that of the previous model for effective suppression of movement distortion, resulting in sharp, clear image quality. The video-specific picture mode "Flat" is ideal for color grading and finishing the footage exactly as envisioned by the videographer.

5-Axis Image Stabilization combined with electronic stabilization for video 
With four times the resolution of Full HD, 4K videos are easily affected by camera movement and typically require a tripod, mini jib, crane and other specialized accessories for movie recording. The OM-D E-M1 Mark II pairs its advanced 5-Axis Image Stabilization with electronic stabilization specialized for video (M-IS)10 to effectively reduce camera shake, making handheld 4K video capture possible. This outstanding image stabilization system allows videographers to easily shoot movies with virtually no visible camera shake. The camera’s rear vari-angle LCD monitor can be adjustable to the user’s preferred angle for shooting convenience.

HDMI monitor connection and recording synchronization 
The HDMI monitor connection provides the ability to view live video output on a larger display while shooting. Users are able to select from Monitor Mode for an external monitor and Recording Mode to capture uncompressed video directly from the HDMI port. The OM-D E-M1 Mark II is equipped with a synchronization signal so that video recording to an external device can start or stop from the camera. A 4:2:2 external output is provided to meet a wider color correction range. An audio synchronization function makes it easy to synchronize audio recording when using Olympus’ Linear PCM Recorder LS-100 while recording video, and a Slate Tone function facilitates the syncing of recorded audio and video.