Dont forget Olympus (em1ii)

Mattias Burling

Is the 4K full pixel readout ? I thought fuji had a game changer on their hands but IBIS at 4K is crazy. Bigger deal to me than the 422 10 bit internal from the GH5 since I shoot most of my stuff handheld. This is incredible DSLR filmmaking is exploding...next thing we know apple announces a cam ??

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
35 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Bigger deal to me than the 422 10 bit internal from the GH5 since I shoot most of my stuff handheld. ?

Yeah...? Is stabilization in-camera so important? C'mon, a mere single gimbal does the job... Mere gimmick, actually : ) Helpful but can't beat 4:2:2 10-bit + 4K@60fps ;-)

Decent/effective autofocus (a joystick to move the focus point, as for instance) would/can be a much more game changer, instead.

Anyways, the high frame rate 20MP 60fps RAW burst mode is pretty promising, though.

21 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Yeah...? Is stabilization in-camera so important? C'mon, a mere single gimbal does the job... Mere gimmick, actually : ) Helpful but can't beat 4:2:2 10-bit + 4K@60fps ;-)

Decent/effective autofocus (a joystick to move the focus point, as for instance) would/can be a much more game changer, instead.

The high frame rate 20MP 60fps RAW burst mode is pretty promising, though.

I think there is a place for gimbal and IS. A gimbal is fantastic for following subjects and in the right hands can produce longer, steadier cinematic moves than IS can. However, with IS you can execute smaller cinematic moves with longer lenses much more easily and with no rigging at all it's very discrete for public/wedding/performance filming etc. I adore the IS on my GX85, I can work more unobtrusively and I can get shots I couldn't before due to time constraints.

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I think there is a place for gimbal and IS. A gimbal is fantastic for following subjects and in the right hands can produce longer, steadier cinematic moves than IS can. However, with IS you can execute smaller cinematic moves with longer lenses much more easily and with no rigging at all it's very discrete for public/wedding/performance filming etc. I adore the IS on my GX85, I can work more unobtrusively and I can get shots I couldn't before due to time constraints.

Right. And it also depends on the rig. There are rigs and rigs, place for unobtrusive rigs and the way you use them counts, too.  

Wow! Lots of kit emerging from Photokina! Of all the new stuff, this new Olympus looks the most suitable for me. Currently got a Pana G7 and thinking of an upgrade. The GH5 is probably overkill for me (and too expensive) and the new G80 looks very cool, but maybe not enough to warrant an upgrade from the G7. The crazy stabilisation and better high ISO look awesome. 

Right now my biggest investment is actually in my Metabones EF - MFT XL adapter. Do you guys have any idea if it would be compatible with the EM1-II? I saw my model of metabones isn't supposed to work with the current EM1.

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-m43-BT3

Any ideas? Excited to see more from this camera!

4 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Anyways, the high frame rate 20MP 60fps RAW burst mode is pretty promising, though.

The Em1mkII has 121 cross type PADF points and a touch screen, should be able to pull focus in a manner similar to Canon's dual pixel - something Panasonic's DFD cannot achieve. Olympus claims a much faster readout for less rolling shutter. 

For handheld work I'd much prefer IBIS and PADF over a gimbal. The tracking on the a6300 absolutely blows anything DFD out of the water, its just a PITA to move the focus point if your subject isn't a person. YMMV.

10-bit external out of the GH4 wasn't a dramatic improvement for basic corrections, we'll see what the new cam brings. I'm not buying 1+ stop improvement claims, since no m43 camera has come close to that and we've already seen what the sensors are capable of in current cameras.

Its nice to have options though.

1 minute ago, Inazuma said:

What limitations do you mean exactly?

I agree, before the start of Photokina the GX80/GX85 was one of the top micro-43 cameras :)  I used to prefer Olympus for shooting stills, but since Panasonic added IBIS and made improvements in their colour (since G7 compared with GX7/LX100-era) I'm quite happy with the photos I'm getting.  

DFD+C-AF is OK on the Panasonic cameras, but then again, I've never shot with a modern PD-AF camera, so I'm interested in seeing how the EM-1 mark ii performs.

55 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Have you ever tested to replace it with a gimbal?

There are many options out there. With much distinct outcome than specs on a paper can ever explain.

Yes. For what I'm doing gimbals are somewhat impractical. 

Also, mostly I'm not trying to emulate gimbal or steadycam moves. I'm basically looking to "quiet" handheld shots. 

It is very hard to please people these days. When one company finally brings 4K 60p and at the same time 4K 10bit 422 internaly to the masses (that we all whined about for a few years), now all of a sudden it is not that important. Sorry Panasonic we were just kidding, we don't actually need better image quality, we need autofocus that is connected to our brain so we can shoot, read magazines and drink coffee at the same time.

12 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

I see people here are much more focused in convenience than IQ. GH4 was the first one to introduce 10-bit for such prosumer price range. So does GH5 in 2017, but internally. Oly, Sony, etc to follow for next releases. That counts to me.

Honestly, I am more interested in getting the best shots in my situation than I am with getting the highest IQ.

There's always a piece of gear that will do something slightly better --so I don't fret about that a whole lot. I'll use what gets me to my "happy medium." For me right now, that's 5-axis in body stabilization. 

I'm currently a documentarian. So my needs might not be your needs.

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

Honestly, I am more interested in getting the best shots in my situation than I am with getting the highest IQ.

There's always a piece of gear that do something slightly better --so I don't fret about that a whole lot. I'll use what gets me to my "happy medium." For me right now, that's 5-axis in body stabilization. 

I'm currently a documentarian. So my needs might not be your needs.

Yes, of course. No one is alone here. To each its own, at same time. And maybe your needs can also be mine, despite my different approach on it. I can even concur, but no less than in both ways when GH5 comes now with the most wanted wishful list ever fulfilled in the possible package to match 10-bit 4:2:2 & 4K 60p for real indies. Take a look into the post above by sudopera, that resumes the whole point from my angle :-)