Dont forget Olympus (em1ii)

Mattias Burling

IBIS and PADF, Panasonic why did you leave them off the GH5? Olympus colors, the new uber fast (allegedly) processor and all of the user friendly smart little things that Olympus puts into their high end bodies. 

I like it a lot. This combined the GH5 for 60p may pull me into m43 land. Sony will counter, question for me is how aggressive. The a99ii doesn't make me want to part with the a7rii/a6300 combo, but the new m43 flagships definitely have my interest. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
55 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Holy.... I never thought I would be considering a M4/3 camera. But this literally ticks ALL the boxes for me except the sensor size.

Edit: If this comes in under $1500 I'm buying it.

Throw a speedbooster on there, af with a 50/1.2 and a speedbooster s on my em10mk2 was fast in S/AF, so when you need the DOF, its there. Im so glad this has come, I love my oly bodies, just cant wait for them to get marked up to $2k AUD over here.

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, John Brawley said:

There is indeed a lot to like about this camera in the video department :-)

4K (and not just UHD) is a big one for starters....

JB

Hope they sent you one, liked your review of the e-m5 alot.

I had the first em5 and the Pen-f for home movies and absolutely loved the ibis and colors. Only problem with the original em5 was 30p only and moire. The Pen didnt have a mic jack.

The em1ii wont be as gorgeous as the pen-f (which is straight out a piece of jewelry). And bigger/pricier than the em5ii. But I might have to get it.

7 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Holy.... I never thought I would be considering a M4/3 camera. But this literally ticks ALL the boxes for me except the sensor size.

Edit: If this comes in under $1500 I'm buying it.

With the Voightlanders or the newer Panasonic or Olympus pro f1.2/1.4 lenses or a speed booster you are not doing that badly for low light or shallower depth of field.  I'm enjoying shooting with the Panasonic 15/1.7 and Olympus 75/1.8 these days now that the light is getting gloomier.

The IS is incredible on these cameras, and with all the right audio jacks, better battery, (and hopefully a cleaner preamp than em5ii) this could be a really good documentary or event camera.

Then there are all the stills features like 18fps raw and the improved high-res mode...

4 hours ago, John Brawley said:

There is indeed a lot to like about this camera in the video department :-)

4K (and not just UHD) is a big one for starters....

JB

Can't wait for you to get your hands on one to test. I'm sure you have given them some excellent feedback for improvements over the em5ii.

16 hours ago, Zach Ashcraft said:

60 FPS RAW stills with no AF. Holy poop. 

Very interested to see how many seconds/frames the E-M1 ii can shoot in this mode. I still love the 60fps raw burst mode with my Nikon V2, been waiting for another small camera that could do it for more than 40 frames. I noticed the GH5 has a 8MP 60fps burst mode but can't find any details about it.

2 hours ago, DPC said:

I bought an EM5 MK II based on the video specs as soon as it came out and, while it was a lovely camera for stills, never once used it to film anything other than tests because the moiré was so bad. This time I'm going to wait for real-life user reviews to come in first.

Good idea ... as great as the IBIS is and how good this cam looks on paper, Olympus seems to find new and creative ways to fuck video up.

I've only just woken up after passing out from all the m43 body and lens announcements yesterday. Panny and Oly are pushing hard again. I'm not one to give into my gas easily these days, but can't wait to see some more videos from the new Oly once it gets into user hands and see if it can rival Panny's image which has been honed over the years.

1 hour ago, Jn- said:

Two points to note, 1. the high bit rate (237 mb/s) for 4K is only on the DCI 24fps mode.  2. It's not necessarily guaranteed that the 5.5 stop ibis is used in 4K video?

Item 1 doesn't bother me too much.

Not guaranteed but IBIS in video was highly touted in the E-M5 ii. They were probably targeting at least casual video users with IBIS who won't have a gimbal etc.

10 minutes ago, John Brawley said:

Not sure where 60fps RAW is coming from. It's 18fps. And as far as I understand IBIS is independent of 4K. I haven't specifically checked it but I'm fairly certain that's not right. 

JB 

18fps is with AF/AE I think

17 minutes ago, John Brawley said:

Not sure where 60fps RAW is coming from. It's 18fps. And as far as I understand IBIS is independent of 4K. I haven't specifically checked it but I'm fairly certain that's not right. 

JB 

http://www.getolympus.com/digitalcameras/omd/e-m1-mark-ii.html?ref=CJ

"[Pro Capture H] approx. 60 fps with selectable 15, 20, 30, 60 fps"

[Sequential shooting H] approx. 15 fps with selectable 10-15 fps
[Sequential shooting L] approx. 10 fps with selectable 1-10 fps
[Anti-shock sequential shooting L] approx. 8.5 fps with selectable 1-8 fps
[Silent sequential shooting H] approx. 60 fps with selectable 15, 20, 30, 60 fps
[Silent sequential shooting L] approx. 18 fps with selectable 1-10, 15, 18 fps
[Pro Capture H] approx. 60 fps with selectable 15, 20, 30, 60 fps
[Pro Capture L] approx. 18 fps with selectable 1-10, 15, 18 fps
*When using the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO
*Maximum sequential shooting speed may be affected by several factors including lens used, brightness, aperture, shutter speed, and ISO setting.
*When in Pro Capture mode, slower shutter speeds and flash can not be used。
*When ISO is 8000 or above, 30 fps becomes the maximum sequential shooting speed, and the actual shooting speed may become slower than the set shooting speed by a few frames per second. When using ISO Bracketing, performance will be affected at ISO 2000 or above.
*Focus and exposure are fixed at the values of the first shot when using sequential shooting H.
*Maximum sequential shooting speed is 8.5 fps for anti-shock sequential shooting L, even when set to 9 or 10 fps.

The more I am reading about Olympus, the More I am convinced this is the sensor that will take on the APS-C DSLR brigade. Especially for photography. 

Source:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/latest/photo-news/exclusive-interview-setsuya-kataoka-olympus-95731

"AW: What was Olympus’s main point in mind when designing the E-M1 II?

SK: The primary point is speed, which is increased dramatically, not just the continuous shooting but also the autofocus and viewfinder refresh rate. The sensor readout is faster, and the data processing speed has dramatically improved.

AW: In its launch presentation Olympus said the E-M1 II would offer a better value proposition than APS-C. Can you expand on that; for example did it mean both DSLR and mirrorless?

SK: In a sense it’s both, but more about the conventional APS-C DSLR than APS-C CSCs. With the E-M1 Mark II we have surpassed the speed and image quality of APS-C DSLRs.

AW: In what way was is IQ surpassed?

SK: In particular, we’re better than our competitors at mid-range ISOs around ISO 6400, with better noise reduction and resolution.

AW: Can we talk about the E-M1 Mark II’s new IS system. How well does it work with and without IS lenses?

SK: The in-body stabilisation itself gives 5.5 steps, and the Sync IS gives 6.5 steps with OIS lenses. 6.5 stops is actually a theoretical limitation at the moment due to rotation of the earth interfering with gyro sensors.

AW: What were the main challenges making the E-M1 II and getting it to work at such high speeds?

SK: The improvement comes from AF speed and accuracy, with the 121-point sensor. But this means image recording and autofocus need to be matched at high speed. This was very difficult, to maximise the performance of the E-M1 II’s new image sensor.

AW: Is the sensor related to the one in the PEN-F just with PDAF added, or are there more differences?

SK: It’s a totally different sensor, two times faster, with totally different construction. On-chip phase detection is also incorporated."

Whoa !!! In some ways, I feel the co-operation between Olympus and Panasonic needs to be more.

Also, I am curious whether the new 20MP sensor is another off-the-rack sensor, or one that Sony has SPECIFICALLY made for Olympus.

Either ways, in many ways, Panasonic needs to concentrate and work on its Photography limitations. Especially in comparison to APS-C DSLRs. 

35 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Panasonic needs to concentrate and work on its Photography limitations.

I don't really do a lot of stills photography.  However, when I do I rarely use my Panasonic cameras for that task.  Why drive a Volvo station wagon when you have a BMW touring coupe parked in the garage?

They can produce fine images. I just don't like "driving" LUMIX when taking photos.