Sony seem to have botched their menu re-design

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

this is just ridiculous I'm sorry. First they have a camera come out without IBIS yet it shoots 6K and overheats like crazy, then they have the worlds first full frame 8K sensor in a DSLR and they do just that, put it in a antiquated dslr mirrored body with lens mount that dies over 10 years ago.... and now they fuck up the menus even WORSE than before by adding more pages upon more options upon more nonsense no one wants or uses. cmon sony! what the heck. you have the opportunity to kill it and you made dumb decisions like this. Andrew what is it gonna take for these fools to understand what we REALLY want in a camera???

At least that's one thing that Canon did better in the 5DsR, 1DX2 and 5D4:  You can create your own menus and register anything you like to new own menu pages.

Oddly enough, in the Sonys you can nearly assign any function to any external button, while in the Canon they only allow a random selection of functions on a random number of buttons.

Let's hope that at least by the year 2020 we all laugh about these stupid middle age times when Toyko engineers still were trapped in their limited 20th century logic, and finally all manufactures do offer unlimited possibilities.

1 hour ago, douglaurent said:

At least that's one thing that Canon did better in the 5DsR, 1DX2 and 5D4:  You can create your own menus and register anything you like to new own menu pages.

Seriously, this is all I want. It's in Nikon and Canon bodies so there is no legal reason not to do it.

How the F could they make it worse?
The way it looks is not the issue, its those PAGES, just endless pages.... And with no touchscreen you just have to flick through each menu with a button....

Samsung did it right with their menu's quite early and even better with the NX30, the menu is simple, its touch friendly and everything important is on the top and everything not so important at the bottom.
Panasonic and Canon also seem to get it somewhat right but never as good as Samsung

• Administrators

The Samsung NX1's menus are superb. Very feature packed camera yet I'm never lost on page 9 of 12

So underrated how ergonomic that camera turned out to be....

Canon and Fuji also understand menu design. Panasonic good logically, but a little too much scrolling, button pressing.

On 19.9.2016 at 9:55 PM, SullyCortez said:

this is just ridiculous I'm sorry. First they have a camera come out without IBIS yet it shoots 6K and overheats like crazy, then they have the worlds first full frame 8K sensor in a DSLR and they do just that, put it in a antiquated dslr mirrored body with lens mount that dies over 10 years ago.... and now they fuck up the menus even WORSE than before by adding more pages upon more options upon more nonsense no one wants or uses. cmon sony! what the heck. you have the opportunity to kill it and you made dumb decisions like this. Andrew what is it gonna take for these fools to understand what we REALLY want in a camera???

Well that's Sony for ya. The same company that touts 250fps on a bridge camera with a 1-inch sensor, f2.8 lens and a max usable ISO of 800. They're more concerned with feature lists than actual real world usability. 

Maybe if we make enough noise they will move it to page 2. But really though, who goes into these menus often enough to be concerned about whether a particular item is on page 1 or 9? My Sony A7S has so many customizable buttons I rarely have to go into the menus. And when I do, the only problem is the unorganized grouping of the items, which Sony seems to be improving with the A99II.

12 pages on one ambiguous "camera" tab.

SMH.

How about breaking things up - still image parameters, AF settings, video functions and so on? What about a my menu 1 & 2 so you can group all the most used functions when shooting stills or video since even with all the button customization and the Fn menu, Sony still forces you to menu dive. Nah, that would be too complicated, unless you're Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Olympus, Fuji...

12 minutes ago, The Chris said:

12 pages on one ambiguous "camera" tab.

You missed the page titles under the "camera" tab. You got 12 pages because a) Sony put most of the items on the first menu level instead of a multi-level menu and b) there is no scrolling required.

I have used Nikon for a while before and their menu isn't really better. And Olympus' menu also has 11 pages which are organized as vertical tabs (vs Sony horizontal tabs where you can use the left-right button to quickly move between pages).

As I said before, the current grouping in Sony menu is not very intuitive and if this is fixed then there is nothing much to complain anymore.

21 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The Samsung NX1's menus are superb. Very feature packed camera yet I'm never lost on page 9 of 12

Best camera menu I've seen hands down, couldn't agree more. They nailed it first time out. Why is this so hard to get right for everyone else? For example I like Olympus cameras, but their menus are a horror show.