GH5 Prototype

sanveer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
48 minutes ago, lafilm said:

Hey thanks again for the info. Hope they do add these features.

jonpais - Yes, that's right. I should have used the word Monochrome but none of the young guys seems to know what I'm talking about when I say Mono. Maybe I'm getting  too old haha.

Do you have expierence with it? I haven't had this feature since the old days of "Digi Beta". I sure do miss it.

If they don't add the Crop marks it will force an external monitor to this system.

That would be a real shame since they seem to be listening to working videographers now.

The GH3 didn't have it, but both my GH4 and G85 have Monochrome live view. I often used it along with peaking, I've found it very useful. The EVF and LCD on the GH5 sound like they'll be good enough to get focus with focus assist alone. Since the G85 has Monochrome view, I would be very surprised if the GH5 didn't as well. 

11 hours ago, mercer said:

Is it just me or does there seem to be a gap in Panasonic's camera market? It seems like they are missing a camera model in the $1200 - $1500 range. A G85 with some extra features?

I think there is a much much *MUCH* bigger gap between the GH5 and the Varicam LT!!! :-o :-( 

As for the gap underneath the GH5.....  don't worry at all! :-) Because by sometime around mid year (or a tiny bit later) we'll see a Panasonic G90 (or GX90? Or GX9?) which will take up a position above the G80 but below the GH5. 

11 hours ago, josdr said:

A red and an ursa 4.6k are not remotely in the same price range as a GH5 :grin:.. I personally think it is too much money for a M43 camera and probably more than the casual videographer would want to pay. You know, the one that will go to jessops and go away with either an 80d or an A7 ii (not s) "because it is full frame sir".. Or one of the lesser and much cheaper panasonics..   No this camera is overpriced and it will be interesting to see what Sony and BM come up with and at what price point ..Canon is of course increasingly irrelevant at the straight from the box, 2k  price point

(my emphasis)

Rather ironically so as the 80D is very much *NOT* the so called "full frame"! ha

9 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Where I do see a gap in the market... something like the BMPCC. A handheld, portable cinema shooter that does RAW DNG/ProRes. Because if you want to shoot like an ARRI/RED/BMD/Kinefinity/Sony, cinema style... or the Varicam even... the proper cameras are either too bulky or unreachable for us peasants.

The Kinefinity Terra 5K (or 6K) is very much like a BMPCC v2.0 (well... I regard the BMMCC as the BMPCC v2.0! But let's call for the sale of this the BMMCC the v1.2, and the Terra the v2.0!)

Many people would like to see global shutter, slow motion, 4K, and APS-C in a future BMPCC update. 

Guess what... the Kinefinity Terra 5K has all of the that!! ;-) 

And with the battery grip handle it is similar size to a Canon 5D!

Don't think at the moment you could make a BMPCC much smaller if  you've got a APS-C sensor and all that power in it. 

The BMPCC really changed that. Especially when it was on sale for 475 EUR (I remember everybody was like 'oh! Must mean a v2.0 will be released soon, I'll wait for that one!).

I remember that too, but I bought a BMPCC anyway! Though kinda regret not buying two....

So... speaking of a gap... if either Blackmagic Design or Panasonic would step it up with a RAW DNG/ProRes shooter at say 2499... That would be sick! The Craft cinema camera comes to mind. That was a good concept. Then again, that was about the only thing it was. xD If you add everything to a full BM46 or Kinefinity Terra, it's not that cheap either. Craft had worked out all the modules together would be $2,894. That would be quite a nice level up from a GH camera. Hope someone will offer something like it. Not a crazy fan of the BMD Production Camera, but that's about the only thing in the ballpark.

I suspect once the GH5 gets all its firmware updates then you'll see from Panasonic basically a ProRes shooting camera, as that is more or less what the GH5 would be. 

7 hours ago, Kisaha said:

There is also the GX850 noone is talking about! Perfect entry lever little cam, with G85(or GX) and GH5 you have a complete set for everything. My set right now, is NX1/NX500/NX3000, Panasonic is the only company that offers choices for similar uses.

But the GX850 is limited to only 5 minutes in UHD!!!! wtf :-/ :-( 

Hope Panasonic is not playing Canon games with us....  and it is really to do with overheating in such a small body. 

6 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

I heard something about crop marks at one time (early meetings) but that is all.  Who knows where it's at now.

I really really really hope crop marks for shooting are implemented!! With a bunch of options (such as setting their transparency level, or cropping lines for taking in the top, middle, or bottom)

As 1:85, 2:35, or 2:40  marks is one of the most common needs we have while shooting "cinematic" content which too many DSLRs/mirrorless can't do. 

From Cinema5D : "We were presented with a ISO 6400 video sample and noise in the picture was very evident. On top of that, when shooting with high ISO settings, the camera will automatically reduce noise internally. This feature cannot currently be turned off and can only be controlled via the menu with high/mid/ and low settings. "

Hope the NR will not smears out fine details like on the NX500/NX1 ... I will not buy this camera if it's true, it's my biggest complaint about my NX1.

38 minutes ago, Beritar said:

From Cinema5D : "We were presented with a ISO 6400 video sample and noise in the picture was very evident. On top of that, when shooting with high ISO settings, the camera will automatically reduce noise internally. This feature cannot currently be turned off and can only be controlled via the menu with high/mid/ and low settings. "

Hope the NR will not smears out fine details like on the NX500/NX1 ... I will not buy this camera if it's true, it's my biggest complaint about my NX1.

Take Cinema5D's reviews of Panasonic with a pinch of salt.

They have been salting in praises of the Sony Cameras and have a disdain for Panasonic's Cameras. They didn't even review the G7, the GX85 and so many other ILCs, whereas they used the Sony 5100 and so many others.

Also they calling the DJI Inspire 2 Arri Alexa rivalling is also ludicrous.

Probably it was an easy way to get a few free DJI  Inspire 2 Drones. 

Having seen most, if not all :grin: of the available material for the GH5 I think Panasonic is to be applauded for what they created. They threw in the kitchen sink as far as specs are concerned and paired it with an espresso machine to boot.

I don't think many people expected so high specs in an industry whose larger players are reluctant to innovate in the consumer sector and are saved by their established colour science.

I cannot possibly agree with Andrew that  it is controversial that later firmware will enable more options/capabilities. Software always takes more time to catch up to hardware capabilities and this is not a practice individual to the GH5 camera . I would rather have some aggressive software development going on during the lifetime of the product. They also have to make sure that future sd card technology can keep up in writing the amount of data required. In essence, they have to wait for it as well..

I do not like the price tag of the camera  which I find too opportunistic for a M43 sensor, and not including vlog in the price tag. Hopefully competition from the other players in the following months  will drive the price down.

3 hours ago, Beritar said:

With Panasonic cameras, you can turn NR down quite a bit in the menu if you like. If you watch Fredrik Lyhne's excellent high ISO test of the GX80/85, you'll see that the camera performs very well at higher ISOs (I thought it did well up to ISO 3200). And I did another test this morning and found that the G85 performs admirably at ISO 1600, and even 6400 is acceptable according to some users here. Dialing down NR to -5 increased detail a bit at higher ISOs. There is no reason not to expect the GH5 to do as well, or even outperform those cameras. But the NX1 is an APS-C sensor, so it is not even fair to compare to the smaller u43 sensor. Those wanting super duper low light performance or crazy dynamic range should consider moving up to an APS-C sensor camera. And as most here already know, don't take Cinema5D as gospel.

Actually, I find Beritar's post kind of surprising, since I've seldom read anything negative about the NX1. If it was available here in Vietnam, I'd already have purchased one.

Someone with a GH5?

Is it showing all exposure values when using video modes A,S,P and auto iso. GH4 and all other Panasonic camera are not showing all automatic exposure values.

GH5 has finally auto iso in M with EV comp in video, maybe they corrected showing exposure values too.