GH5 Prototype

sanveer

Just now, zetty said:

@Neumann Films Million dollar question: can you zoom in to check focus while recording? ;)

Can you monitor VLOG recording in REC709?

Is there really a waveform monitor implemented?

Not on my build but...seems like that could be a firmware add on. 

Yes, VLog now has REC709 preview.

Yup, it's a little clunky though.  Sits in the middle of your screen and as far as I know you can't move it.  Still there though.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
40 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

- 4K photo mode is basically the same as it was on the GH4, 8 bit and 2880x2880 in 1:1 mode.  Hoping they can maybe work 10bit out in one of the photo modes for ana shooting.

Anamorphic mode (4x3) is going to be 8 bit?

"Like many other recent cameras the GH5 also has a built in stereo mic. What’s different is that it has an extra little internal mic that acts as a reference to cancel and reduce noise."

Is this a counter noise tech for IBIS hissing?

Same battery as GH4. Good. I have 6.

12 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

I didn't really use it since I like MF but it seems to be pretty solid.  Yeah, been working on LUTs for a while.

I know a lot of people use manual focus, but after using Canon Dual Pixel AF and PDAF on the a6500 and NX1, I was really hoping the GH5 would add PDAF and up their game with smooth video autofocus.

11 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

I didn't really use it since I like MF but it seems to be pretty solid.  Yeah, been working on LUTs for a while.

Since we can't have our hands on it for a while it would be amazing if you could do a test of continuous AF let's say walking towards someone's face. 

TO see if it is on part with Sony A6300

6 minutes ago, mercer said:

Is it just me or does there seem to be a gap in Panasonic's camera market? It seems like they are missing a camera model in the $1200 - $1500 range. A G85 with some extra features?

I agree with you on that. A GH4 II with everything from G85 would be have been great for people who want a production camera but don't need all the advanced features. I'm still going to get a GH5 though as I don't think it will happen. Maybe a GX9 will fill that gap at some point?

21 minutes ago, Nodnarb said:

I know a lot of people use manual focus, but after using Canon Dual Pixel AF and PDAF on the a6500 and NX1, I was really hoping the GH5 would add PDAF and up their game with smooth video autofocus.

"Thanks to the new Venus Engine, the time for AF measuring the distance to the subject is 6x faster, while factoring the distance into in-plane or in-depth is 2x faster."

From Panasonic press release.

5 minutes ago, Vesku said:

"Thanks to the new Venus Engine, the time for AF measuring the distance to the subject is 6x faster, while factoring the distance into in-plane or in-depth is 2x faster."

From Panasonic press release.

I really want good video AF too. This speech from Pana is not cutting it. Is there any good exemple of its usability in the videos released? 

Hmm seems I will be passing on the GH5, it seems like a decent step up from the GH4. But the highlight roll off seems bad, and the image is still videoish(I know you can work around it, I have done it with the GH3 and GH4), but my main interest was the anamorphic mode, so as long there is no 10bit anamorphic I will not consider it. Its not a bad camera, but I feel like it isnt the right camera for me right now. I wish magic lantern could get ML raw working on the 5D IV, but that will probably also not happen. So I will be fishing for a used RED, kinefinity or ursa mini 4.6k instead, but I still got time so maybe NAB has got some good surprises in store for me.

A red and an ursa 4.6k are not remotely in the same price range as a GH5 :grin:.. I personally think it is too much money for a M43 camera and probably more than the casual videographer would want to pay. You know, the one that will go to jessops and go away with either an 80d or an A7 ii (not s) "because it is full frame sir".. Or one of the lesser and much cheaper panasonics..   No this camera is overpriced and it will be interesting to see what Sony and BM come up with and at what price point ..Canon is of course increasingly irrelevant at the straight from the box, 2k  price point

1 hour ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

I agree with you on that. A GH4 II with everything from G85 would be have been great for people who want a production camera but don't need all the advanced features. I'm still going to get a GH5 though as I don't think it will happen. Maybe a GX9 will fill that gap at some point?

Honestly I would love to see Panasonic release a 1080p only version of the GH4 with IBIS... I would pay a  $1000 for it.