GH5 Prototype

sanveer

14 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Confirmed:

NO PDAF in GH5

VLOG is a paid upgrade 

shit this is such a disappointment especially the first one....

maybe I wait A7S3 with 4k60p and A6500 AF.

Wow that's Canon logic, upgrade the camera to 10 bit 422 to improve vlog quality and then don't include vlog. Panasonic, sort it out, this is your top of the range camera, both Canon and Sony have log in cheaper models. This is a mistake on your part. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah no free V-log what the heck. Inlude RAW video aswell and then I shall pay 100€ for the update. Make the image and codec better, instead of trying to include IBIS, PDAF or anything like that no filmmakers cares about(yeah I know cinema camera's are in a other league but it would be damned nice). 

I think that they are trying to make GH4R somehow attractive. 100bucks will not kill me, neither you. Remember how much charged SONY in the past for an upgrade like this?

Also, having a professional 10bit 4:2:2 image in a consumer PP like Cinelike D, and not having LOG, does not really give me too much sense. Anyway, previous commenters are right that this business concept is disturbing and I hope that'll cause a riot on CES :D

Keeping the price as low as possible on the GH5 (don't most people hate Vlog?) and making Vlog a paid upgrade is preferable it seems...or is there anyone here who would prefer to pay say $2200 and get Vlog included!...does it not make sense to give people who don't like it, the option to not pay for it? WTF!!...I use and love Vlog personally...what I find dizzying is all the discussions on this and that camera and what will beat what on a camera that has'nt even released yet...anyway, IMO the image one can produce on the GH4 shooting with lights...production value crew etc. is already excellent!...in other words as if you're shooting with an F35 or Alexa or Red cam!...what I want is reliability, so the camera does not fail me on a set!...of course everyone's needs are different, but the rumors on the GH5 already has anticipation high!

19 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Keeping the price as low as possible on the GH5 (don't most people hate Vlog?) and making Vlog a paid upgrade is preferable it seems...or is there anyone here who would prefer to pay say $2200 and get Vlog included!...does it not make sense to give people who don't like it, the option to not pay for it? WTF!!...I use and love Vlog personally...what I find dizzying is all the discussions on this and that camera and what will beat what on a camera that has'nt even released yet...anyway, IMO the image one can produce on the GH4 shooting with lights...production value crew etc. is already excellent!...in other words as if you're shooting with an F35 or Alexa or Red cam!...what I want is reliability, so the camera does not fail me on a set!...of course everyone's needs are different, but the rumors on the GH5 already has anticipation high!

Good points. Reliability is a major concern for me. I have the GX85 and the IBIS is awesome, but how much longevity does a camera with IBIS have after being used in a professional environment where it will surely take a beating? I mean, inevitably the lens will get knocked/whacked by someone walking by it, etc... so will common production occurrences affect the durability of the IBIS? And if the IBIS breaks, how will it affect internal, structural, sensor stability?

45 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

In that case, please make a GH5 without ibis, so people who dont want ibis can have a GH5 cheaper. V-log is just a software update not even hardware. Everybody has already bought it for their GH4 to extend the GH4 life, now we need to buy it again on a brand new camera....? Well maybe were speaking too soon, lets wait on the actual broadcast.

58 minutes ago, mercer said:

Good points. Reliability is a major concern for me. I have the GX85 and the IBIS is awesome, but how much longevity does a camera with IBIS have after being used in a professional environment where it will surely take a beating? I mean, inevitably the lens will get knocked/whacked by someone walking by it, etc... so will common production occurrences affect the durability of the IBIS? And if the IBIS breaks, how will it affect internal, structural, sensor stability?

Well IBIS cameras existed since 2012 and I haven't really seen any reports on IBIS failing. 

I also thought that professional environment is harsher for equipment, but the last few years I have started to doubt it. A small browsing of YT videos should convince you :) 

The articulating screen is more of a reliability concern for me :astonished:

6 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Well IBIS cameras existed since 2012 and I haven't really seen any reports on IBIS failing. 

I also thought that professional environment is harsher for equipment, but the last few years I have started to doubt it. A small browsing of YT videos should convince you :) 

Yeah, I'd much rather see a tilting LCD screen instead of the articulating screen. With IBIS, the camera strap becomes vital for my shooting style and with the articulating screen, the strap creates a blind spot.

I thought I had read somewhere that the IBIS failed on a GX85 and it forced the sensor into an odd, off centered position... but I can't remember where I read it. 

8 minutes ago, liork said:

Why? Have you heard about a problem concerning this with the GH4?

Yes. Here is one example. If you look around you will find plenty of cases with broken articulating screens. 

This is not specific to Panasonic cameras, I just consider the hinge of an articulating screen the weakest point of a camera.

2 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Yes. Here is one example. If you look around you will find plenty of cases with broken articulating screens. 

This is not specific to Panasonic cameras, I just consider the hinge of an articulating screen the weakest point of a camera.

Actually if you turn the LCD the wrong way while turning the screen, it may crack. But one has to turn it pretty hard to actually break it.

34 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Yeah, mine has broken twice on the GH4 -- once my own fault, breaking it off physically, and just now the touch stopped working when flipped out for no good reason. Good to have 4 year warranty :)

9 minutes ago, Davey said:

No live feeds anywhere and no updates via live bloggers. Has the event finished?

Still 33 minutes till start!

9 minutes ago, Davey said:

No live feeds anywhere and no updates via live bloggers. Has the event finished?

I was going to ask the same thing.

This is terrible. 

This is the Live Feed. I was on a Con Call @ 10, but I find no news of what happened. 

https://www.cnet.com/news/panasonic-press-conference-ces-2017-watch-live-january-4/