GH5 Prototype

sanveer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm no Panasonic hater, and I don't mean to piss on your parade, but - anyone who thinks the GH5 is going to somehow render the Fuji obsolete is just fooling themselves. Not a few reviewers, comparing the G85 to the X-T2, ended up choosing the Lumix, not because of Panasonic's stupendous color science, brilliant low light sensitivity or lightning fast AF, but because they need a camera with IBIS and flippy touch screen. And not a few readers preferred to have those features as well; and let's face it, not everyone wants to shell out $3,000 for a new camera, battery grip and lens. The Fuji will still have superior dynamic range, vastly better low light performance, faster and more accurate AFC and exquisite color, as well as cleaner 4K than the GH5. Maybe you've forgotten, but the BMPCC didn't have a flippy screen or IBIS either: serious filmmakers got it for the images it could produce. Sure, the Fuji is primarily a stills camera, but so is the Canon 5D; and I've seen more breathtakingly beautiful videos on the Web made with the Canon than with any other camera. And when Voigtlander produced fully manual primes without OIS, I didn't hear anyone shout 'fail!' and many filmmakers still use them proudly. Their build and imaging quality is unsurpassed, as is the Fuji's. So go ahead - enjoy your 400 megabits or bytes, your 4K 60p, whatever, but please don't go  carrying on like Panasonic is better than Sony, Olympus, Fuji or whoever. 

20 minutes ago, jonpais said:

The Fuji will still have superior dynamic range, vastly better low light performance, faster and more accurate AFC and exquisite color, as well as cleaner 4K than the GH5.

Can you share the files from the GH5 that you used to make this comparison? 

Reviewed.com published an article 12h ago, they took it down, but it's accessable from the cash. So did they just wrote an article from the info that everyone knows or not?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://cameras.reviewed.com/content/panasonic-lumix-gh5-first-impressions-review

Some noticeable stuff:

A lot of the new video abilities stem from a faster (1.7x, according to Panasonic) sensor readout which should reduce rolling shutter substantially. The faster sensor also lets the GH5 get away with shooting 4K without a sensor crop, so Micro Four Thirds lenses retain their effective focal length no matter if you're rolling 1080p or 4K.

Even more advanced video features include an in-camera waveform monitor and vector scope, which was a big surprise. While it's not uncommon for pros to use this feature in an external monitor setup, having it in-camera, assuming it's a decent implementation, means one less bit of equipment to lug to your shoot. Color profiles on offer include both a CinelikeD and CinelikeV. Like the GH4, GH5 also has an anamorphic mode with a wide variety of shooting resolutions, bit rates, and frame rates to choose from.

Apparently $2,000 isn't enough to get users the super-flat color profile for grading that the pros are gonna want. The GH5 might be able to record in global video formats, and it might have a great waveform monitor feature built-in, but Vlog L? Forget it...just like with the cheaper GH4, you're looking at least a $100 to unlock this capability. So, if you're dissatisfied with the Cinelike profiles that are included with the GH5, you better start busking on the street corner.

No mention of the codec :(

12 minutes ago, Brother said:

Valid argument, thanks! Maybe the GH5 is shit, but neither you or I can tell until its out in the wild.

Sorry, but If you read my post, I never said the GH5 is shiite. I have owned four or five Panasonic cameras, and may even end up getting the GH5. My post was aimed at fanboys who keep shouting from the rooftops how great the GH5 will be, or how it will trounce the competition. Panasonics are known for their UI, ergonomics, price, reliability and video-centric features. Panasonic is not esteemed for their zippy AFC, superb dynamic range, low light sensitivity or color science. Like everyone else here, I am hoping the GH5 is all we want it to be. But I can say with (almost) absolute certainty that: the rain in Spain falls mainly in the plains. Wait, what I meant to say, is that the GH5 sensor will not have better than 12 stops dynamic range; that it will not outrun the incredibly quick AF of the Fuji; nor will it in a million years have the magnificent color science of the X Trans sensor. But, hey, I could be wrong. They elected Trump, didn't they?

6 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

Reviewed.com published an article 12h ago, they took it down, but it's accessable from the cash. So did they just wrote an article from the info that everyone knows or not?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://cameras.reviewed.com/content/panasonic-lumix-gh5-first-impressions-review

Some noticeable stuff:

A waveform monitor? Sign me up. :) 

43 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Sorry, but If you read my post, I never said the GH5 is shiite. I have owned four or five Panasonic cameras, and may even end up getting the GH5. My post was aimed at fanboys who keep shouting from the rooftops how great the GH5 will be, or how it will trounce the competition. Panasonics are known for their UI, ergonomics, price, reliability and video-centric features. Panasonic is not esteemed for their zippy AFC, superb dynamic range, low light sensitivity or color science. Like everyone else here, I am hoping the GH5 is all we want it to be. But I can say with (almost) absolute certainty that: the rain in Spain falls mainly in the plains. Wait, what I meant to say, is that the GH5 sensor will not have better than 12 stops dynamic range; that it will not outrun the incredibly quick AF of the Fuji; nor will it in a million years have the magnificent color science of the X Trans sensor. But, hey, I could be wrong. They elected Trump, didn't they?

A waveform monitor? Sign me up. :) 

Quite right, the "shit" comment was my own to highlight the fact that we know nothing of its performance until it's released. I get your point now, you don't like the fanboy parade, and i agree. 

Don't know where someone said that Sony, Fuji or Oly performs less than a Panasonic. I guess we can all agree that they've always been a little behind on juicyness of the image; just can't squeeze as much out of a smaller sensor, simple as that. But that's not the point. It's being completely oblivious to that and going with it anyways, because it's by far a more productive camera and arguably the better value. Panasonics are workable and you can get some really lovely results with them. Being more attracted to the GH5 than the X-T2, E-M1 Mark II or A6500, doesn't make you a fanboy anything, so I don't really get the 'being attacked, defend!'-mode. Doesn't mean you think the image trumps all else. Just means you really like what it does nontheless and have the confidence that you can make it work. And remember not everyone has the resources to pull off a two camera inventory.

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

I'm no Panasonic hater, and I don't mean to piss on your parade, but - anyone who thinks the GH5 is going to somehow render the Fuji obsolete is just fooling themselves. Not a few reviewers, comparing the G85 to the X-T2, ended up choosing the Lumix, not because of Panasonic's stupendous color science, brilliant low light sensitivity or lightning fast AF, but because they need a camera with IBIS and flippy touch screen. And not a few readers preferred to have those features as well; and let's face it, not everyone wants to shell out $3,000 for a new camera, battery grip and lens. The Fuji will still have superior dynamic range, vastly better low light performance, faster and more accurate AFC and exquisite color, as well as cleaner 4K than the GH5. Maybe you've forgotten, but the BMPCC didn't have a flippy screen or IBIS either: serious filmmakers got it for the images it could produce. Sure, the Fuji is primarily a stills camera, but so is the Canon 5D; and I've seen more breathtakingly beautiful videos on the Web made with the Canon than with any other camera. And when Voigtlander produced fully manual primes without OIS, I didn't hear anyone shout 'fail!' and many filmmakers still use them proudly. Their build and imaging quality is unsurpassed, as is the Fuji's. So go ahead - enjoy your 400 megabits or bytes, your 4K 60p, whatever, but please don't go  carrying on like Panasonic is better than Sony, Olympus, Fuji or whoever. 

Actually, the same idea applies to nx1, which has been out since nov 2014.

20-megapixel sensor

"exclusive" DFD focus, no phase detection.

5-axis in-body stabilization, 5 stops

AF selection joystick

full-sized HDMI port

USB 3.0 with a USB-C connector

twin SD card slots

4:2:2 10bit 4K30p can be recorderd internally on SD. 4k60p will be reoocrded internally with 4:2:0 8bit

There will be two big firmware updates. One in April ( 1080/60p at 200Mbps with 4:2:2 10-bit and All-I). One by end 2017 for 4K/30p at up to 400Mbps All-I.

2 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

Some noticeable stuff:

Reviewed.com were probably not paid enough by Panasonic, or weren't given any free GH5s. Hence they are pretty vocal, without really saying anything of consequence. 

I read their iPhone 7 review and they gave it like 10 out of 10. They obviously know nothing of photos and videos, and so many other features and functions. Most of their judgment appears to be clouded by colour of the money that bleeds into their pockets. 

Some Reviewers do everything but genuinely review a product. 

@Marco Tecno I believe Max Yuryev still owns two NX 1 cameras. :) Samsung was too far ahead of their time. 

@Cinegain I love Panasonic for the very reasons you point out, and which I already mentioned above: they are great value for the money, and they are supremely video-centric for a mirrorless camera. They seem to be listening to users as much or more than any other manufacturer. But I do believe somebody in this thread said that Panasonic was going to give Fuji a run for the money (or something to that effect), but if you've ever even handled one, you'd realize that is not the case. To be sure, they are completely different cameras with a different user base, and I would not recommend one to just anybody. As I said before, Fuji requires more setup and is not the ideal run and gun camera, but it delivers the most stunning color from any mirrorless sensor on the market. And now that we're looking at a u43 camera that will most likely cost $2,000 or so, I think people should explore their options carefully.

Personally I find that fuji has the best color science out there not only mirroless, but basically everything. Maybe loses against Arri. 
As for now I shoot with an A7S ii, but want to upgrade this. Hopefully the GH5 will blow it out of the water. Not sure if it can do that. The anamorphic options are a big win for the GH series. And Sony will probably wait 5 years for implementing any anamorphic on their cameras. But if the image out of the GH5 somewhat dissapoints, I think I will save up for a RED raven or kinefinity terra or ursa mini 4.6k.