GH5 Prototype

sanveer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, liork said:

Haha, I am sure Panasonic is not talking about MJpeg joke like in Canon...

Idk, Panasonic used MJPEG for a long time in their earlier models... not to mention what codec can be used at such large files yet still write to SD cards? Honestly, I'm just asking as I don't know the answer. 

11 minutes ago, mercer said:

Idk, Panasonic used MJPEG for a long time in their earlier models... not to mention what codec can be used at such large files yet still write to SD cards? Honestly, I'm just asking as I don't know the answer. 

Panasonic haven't use MPJEG since GH3, I think they probably use AVC-Ultra for high bit rate?

From Varicam :: AVC Intra 4K 422 25p 388 mbps

12 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yes, MJPEG was used long time ago - Actually in the first digital cameras that had a 320x240 video... but this dinosaur lives no more!

6 minutes ago, markr041 said:

What is the codec? Bitrate without codec info is meaningless. Some Canons do over 500 Mbps, but in MJpeg!

Well unless Panasonic was bought by Canon overnight, it is not going to be MJpeg.

H264 is my guess. 

15 minutes ago, zetty said:

Bit disappointing but hopeful. My preferred range would have been 200-250mbps as a good compromise between quality and size for documentary shooting.

I hope you are not saying that having the options of 150 & 400mbps but not 200-250 is disappointing, but the fact it will arrive later this year. 

We also must remember that just because Panasonic hasn't had issues with heat dissipation in the past with their 4K video at 100mbps, 400 mbps is a totally different beast, so MJPEG could be a possibility.

Also, is the price rumor of $1999 body only still on the table or has that been updated?

58 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

I hope you are not saying that having the options of 150 & 400mbps but not 200-250 is disappointing, but the fact it will arrive later this year. 

Yes. I also hope there is a choice inbetween. But will have to test how the 150mbps holds up, maybe it's plenty enough for what I do.

1 minute ago, zetty said:

Yes. I also hope there is a choice inbetween. But will have to test how the 150mbps holds up, maybe it's plenty enough for what I do.

At 24/30 in 10bit, it's enough for most situations.  8bit/60fps...you'd want the higher rates.  Not sure yet if it will be available for 60 though.

20 minutes ago, mercer said:

We also must remember that just because Panasonic hasn't had issues with heat dissipation in the past with their 4K video at 100mbps, 400 mbps is a totally different beast, so MJPEG could be a possibility.

I think the 400Mbs is 4k all-i like it was 200Mbs 1080P in GH4. All-i is practically the same as MJPG.

Panasonic current 4k 60P camcorders has 150Mbs h.264. I think it is OK for 4k 30P 10bit and 4k 60P 8bit.

1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

Sorry, accidentally hit quote when I meant to hit like.

2 minutes ago, Vesku said:

I think the 400Mbs is 4k all-i like it was 200Mbs 1080P in GH4. All-i is practically the same as MJPG.

Panasonic current 4k 60P camcorders has 150Mbs h.264. I think it is OK for 4k 30P 10bit and 4k 60P 8bit.

I have grown fond of their 200mbps All-I 1080p, I hope they continue it, or expand it with the GH5.

2 hours ago, SuperSet said:

That $1999 price makes the GH5 way more attractive than the Olympus or Fuji X-T2. Looking forward to hearing more tomorrow from those who've already played with it.

Why does it always have to be either or? :) Even if I end up getting the GH5, which, as it gets closer to announcement time, it looks like I very well may, you will never pry the X-T2 from my cold dead hands. Anybody who's ever used one loves theirs: and I think even testers online who opted to go with Panasonic or Sony instead, returning their Fuji, did so with a great deal of remorse. Obviously, it's a stills camera first. But if you have the time to set up shots, or don't mind carrying around a monopod, the image can be amazing. Anyhow, time to be out and about. People are expecting to see some high ISO footage from the GH5's little brother.

6 hours ago, mercer said:

Thanks, but it looks like Adorama already took that down. Even with the bad link, you must assume the price will hold true.

The taking down of price is a bad sign.  It show me that the MSRP is not 100% finalized by Panasonic.  Considering just how much buzz is around the GH5, Panasonic might bump up from their original estimate, like they did with the GH4.

Just now, Michael Ma said:

The taking down of price is a bad sign.  It show me that the MSRP is not 100% finalized by Panasonic.  Considering just how much buzz is around the GH5, Panasonic might bump up from their original estimate, like they did with the GH4.

Nah mate. They can't name prices for stuff that isn't officially announced, they get in trouble if they keep that mess up up (like mentioning accepting pre-orders from the 4th of january). These slip ups are most likely true. Already entered into the system, but shouldn't have been publicized.