GH5 Prototype

sanveer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
46 minutes ago, Davey said:

Fat cat laws on the definition of a camcorder. When Brexit happens in about 100 years, things will change on that front.

They've introduced the GH4R that comes without the restriction and removed the time limit on the FZ2000. I think it's fair to say the GH5 will probably have this covered too (and that the price will reflect this accordingly).

It looks like it is going to be hard to pass it up for 2 grand like it or not. Other than form factor what's not to like for the money.  Sony is going to have to pick up the pace on the A7 series because of this camera.

You don't get killer Low light, great DR, Form Factor, even great colors for basically entry level prices on a video camera yet in this day and age.  But in reality you can a make a feature film with this thing. Some fast lenses ,Speed Booster, good lighting, and the audio add on option, and away you go.

15 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

It looks like it is going to be hard to pass it up for 2 grand like it or not. Other than form factor what's not to like for the money.  Sony is going to have to pick up the pace on the A7 series because of this camera.

You don't get killer Low light, great DR, Form Factor, even great colors for basically entry level prices on a video camera yet in this day and age.  But in reality you can a make a feature film with this thing. Some fast lenses ,Speed Booster, good lighting, and the audio add on option, and away you go.

Yeah, just most enthusiast and indie filmmakers do a lot of run 'n gun shooting and they don't particularly go and carry around lighting kits, so they are oh so tempted by the convenience of setting a camera to ISO6400/12800 and just go and shoot something in availlable light in pretty dodgy lowlight conditions. It's just easier to find and work with f/2.8 zooms (although with Sony you hardly have native ones of those, so you'll be adapting) than with super fast primes too (which you can't afford to pinch much to get a deeper depth of field/sharper image). Think that might need to be added to the equation. But you're so right, a camera such as the GH5 would be legit enough for just about anything serious. RED, ARRI, BMD wouldn't be much different in terms of shooting conditions and flexibility. So you can shoot like a pro, but be doing it on the fairly cheap. Just different cameras with different uses. I do wish I could set ISO3200/6400 not have a care in the world. But from the GH4 and Blackmagic we're kind of used to be limited to ISO800 and somehow making it work. And I guess now ISO1600/3200 might be fair game. I'd say that's perfectly managable, but it might not be quite there yet for those earlier mentioned group of people.

On 12/28/2016 at 5:43 AM, webrunner5 said:

Yeah I really doubt the GH5 will have 10bit 60fps 4k either,

Ah, I think you misread what I said. I mean I doubt that the a7R mk3 and a7S mk3 (unless they don't come out until late 2017, or 2018) will both have 10bit *or* 4K 60fps, I expect Sony will have a bit more of a lag behind Panasonic just like Panasonic was first with the GH4 then took a little while for Sony to catch up. 

On 12/29/2016 at 6:36 AM, Cary Knoop said:

Interesting, I can't download the 2160p60 version.  By the way that video is shot with two cameras the "room" camera is likely a different model/brand as it has different levels.

Three cameras... one per person for the close ups, plus a 3rd camera for the wide shot. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Ah, I think you misread what I said. I mean I doubt that the a7R mk3 and a7S mk3 (unless they don't come out until late 2017, or 2018) will both have 10bit *or* 4K 60fps, I expect Sony will have a bit more of a lag behind Panasonic just like Panasonic was first with the GH4 then took a little while for Sony to catch up. 

Three cameras... one per person for the close ups, plus a 3rd camera for the wide shot. 

I think between the GH5 and the Olympus EM1 mkII both with some damn good specs, I don't think Sony has much choice but to up their specs also pretty big time. Look how fast they came out with the A6500!

8 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Yeah, just most enthusiast and indie filmmakers do a lot of run 'n gun shooting and they don't particularly go and carry around lighting kits, so they are oh so tempted by the convenience of setting a camera to ISO6400/12800 and just go and shoot something in availlable light in pretty dodgy lowlight conditions. It's just easier to find and work with f/2.8 zooms (although with Sony you hardly have native ones of those, so you'll be adapting) than with super fast primes too (which you can't afford to pinch much to get a deeper depth of field/sharper image). Think that might need to be added to the equation. But you're so right, a camera such as the GH5 would be legit enough for just about anything serious. RED, ARRI, BMD wouldn't be much different in terms of shooting conditions and flexibility. So you can shoot like a pro, but be doing it on the fairly cheap. Just different cameras with different uses. I do wish I could set ISO3200/6400 not have a care in the world. But from the GH4 and Blackmagic we're kind of used to be limited to ISO800 and somehow making it work. And I guess now ISO1600/3200 might be fair game. I'd say that's perfectly managable, but it might not be quite there yet for those earlier mentioned group of people.

Yeah but with a speedbooster and some fast glass you gain a stop or 2 which equates to a step or 2 of ISO. So they are not as bad as it sounds like on paper LoL. But yeah they are no C300 or A7sII where that is not a problem at all. 18-35mm 1.8 Sigma gets to be sort of necessary with MFT cameras. :grimace:

From what little I've seen, Sony's Slog on the A7R II looks crisper, Panasonic's Vlog looks like it retains more information in the highlights. For those who shoot log, it would be great if Lumix users could get great looking 10 bit Vlog straight out of the camera. Guess we'll find out shortly.

6 minutes ago, jonpais said:

From what little I've seen, Sony's Slog on the A7R II looks crisper, Panasonic's Vlog looks like it retains more detail in the highlights. For those who shoot log, it would be great if Lumix users could get great looking 10 bit Vlog straight out of the camera. Guess we'll find out shortly.

I just wish the GH5 has a bit more DR, because the night scenes on the Sony really stand out because of the DR.

Me neither.

And there's an undeniable advantage to a bigger sensor, it just catches more quantity and hence quality light. But I'm just not into fullframe as I don't like DSLRs and mirrorless there's only Sony and I'm not really their biggest believer, getting into a fullframe system is just too expensive and needing those 35mm image circle covering lenses kinda defeats the purpose of having a small camera, if anything, it makes it unbalanced to shoot with. I'd rather have APS-C. I'd still have the option to use a focal reducer and boost it towards fullframe if I absolutely have to. Thing is with Sony APS-C, that's just the thing you might be doing as their are hardly any native APS-C lenses for it. The performance is 'on fleek', though. Can't say nothing bad purely on image quality (although we've learned that their standard colorprofiles causes problems when left untouched). But Sony has other problems they need to address. If they actually did that... I could perhaps even see me getting one someday. But I imagine they'll go straight for the paper specs and not the reallife handling of the camera. Which means that the APS-C crown goes to Fujifilm. If only Panasonic and Olympus were into APS-C. But... they aren't, they seem very commited to that MFT mount. Funny enough though, the Varicam does feature S35 and offers... wait for it... the EF mount. If they could just borrow the color science and dualpixel AF too and throw it into the VC5 (VariCam5, still hoping for this one! Something up from the GH-range, but not quite cinema, more like Kinefinity). Or... Nikon... now, I'm not actually religious, but I've been praying for a mirrorless APS-C 4K Nikon since forever. But I guess if you believe in noone, noone will answer. Better not to look at what you don't have and do look at what you do have, anyways. That said... happy new gear! 2017... it's going to be an interesting one.

The C500 is 12 stops & I love that thing.  (Here is a great video shot at 1080 internally with it:    

anyway, it's a clean 12 stops in terms of noise.  If I could have 12 clean stops on a GH5 as conveniently portable as it is with IBIS now, I would not bitch.  Give me a Pilotfly 2, a few batteries, a couple of fast lenses.  To me, that's a setup that gets out of the way.  

There appear to be people who have never used a M43 and seem to want to have one with features found on top end full frame or the C-Line of Canon Cameras. It reminds me of the Apple Fan boys trolling on all Android sites.

It's plain ludicrous. It completely defeats the purpose of a healthy debate.

I'm actually all for biological cameras. That will crossbreed and evolve into new species. Or atleast mechanical ones that have 3D print functionality and instead of firmware updates, they actually upgrade themselves on a physical/mechanical level. And have one of them StarTrek replicators in the future. I have to agree, serving beverages would be utterly convenient.

3 hours ago, sanveer said:

There appear to be people who have never used a M43 and seem to want to have one with features found on top end full frame or the C-Line of Canon Cameras. It reminds me of the Apple Fan boys trolling on all Android sites.

It's plain ludicrous. It completely defeats the purpose of a healthy debate.

Well I own a A7S II right now, and I hope the GH5 will blow it out of the water(I dont need iso over 3200). 

Well I would imagine in a few more generations someone, probably will be Sony, will make a consumer camera that IS almost what everyone here pleads to have.

The A7sII is really not that far off in reality. Build one with a S35 sensor, 6k, internal ND filter, better codec, little bigger body for a larger battery, and sensor cooling ability. They could have done  some of that with the A6500, but I think they wanted to save that for the A7 series.

We really are getting close to the real deal if only they would stop worrying about loosing sales on their top end stuff. Seems to me they would sell more of them at 3k dollars than the few they sell at 10k dollars. No one is ever going to give up on buying a real full size camcorder for serious work. so they will still have a base for that category of bodies.

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

The A7sII is really not that far off in reality. Build one with a S35 sensor, 6k, internal ND filter, better codec, little bigger body for a larger battery, and sensor cooling ability. They could have done  some of that with the A6500, but I think they wanted to save that for the A7 series.

Less rolling shutter, better colour science, better codec, better ergonomics, flip out (better) LCD, etc..