GH5 Prototype

sanveer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, Neumann Films said:

I don't have any charts or anything so it wouldn't be very scientific.  Footage will be made available for analyzing though.

Footage is good enough already! When?

DR and ISO performance are probably most interesting to me right now as lots of other details have already been announced or (potentially) leaked. The other thing that I am wondering about is the codec.

6 minutes ago, zetty said:

Footage is good enough already! When?

DR and ISO performance are probably most interesting to me right now as lots of other details have already been announced or (potentially) leaked. The other thing that I am wondering about is the codec.

January 4th.  My first thought was an ISO test (because it would be easiest on my part) :)

10 minutes ago, Davey said:

ISO performance will be the most eagerly awaited aspect of this camera (for enthusiasts who love gear but don't do lighting, of which there are millions).

With bad lighting even a million dollar camera will not look good. 

A good looking video needs good lighting, always!

It used to be different but lighting is now easy, cheap, safe and of good quality.

And entry level LED panel starts under $100. 

Just now, Cary Knoop said:

Apart from the fact the high end video cameras do not excel in low light with bad lighting even a million dollar camera will not look good. 

A good video needs good lighting, always!

It used to be different but lighting is now easy, cheap, safe and of good quality.

And entry level LED panel starts under $100. 

Still...good to know how it fares especially since it's M43 and a lot of people go run n' gun for doc and other work.  

2 hours ago, zetty said:

Many of us prefer that form factor and modularity -- in fact being a documentary filmmaker, I don't need any rigs at all, just use it on monopod or gimbal most of the time. Being inconspicuous often is the only chance to get your shots and it's always a convenience; plus size matters a lot for a single/small crew production, especially when shooting abroad.

Sure, there's no built in NDs, decent audio preamps and useable AF that would improve its run and gun capabilities, but that's not really related to form factor (although it is to the size). Handling wise, it's as convenient as it gets. My previous camera was EX1 and I've never looked back since getting GH4 in 2014.

There are plenty of camcorder-type video cameras, why do you want every one of them be like that?

Because you might have decent audio, you might have ND's, you might have decent autofocus. Sounds like about 80% of what you need to get a decent video. YMMV.

2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Because you might have decent audio, you might have ND's, you might have decent autofocus. Sounds like about 80% of what you need to get a decent video. YMMV.

It seems to me you are looking for a camcorder.

If you like comfort and automatic features you should get a camcorder.  I don't think cameras like the GH5, Sony A7s II or the likes are made for you.

Heck if you don't care about 4K you can get great deals on second hand HD pro camcorders.

2 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

If you want to keep 5 axis IS that means you're using a lens that is f 2.8.  If you shoot 60p that's 1/120th and f 2.8, so having good performance at ISO1600 is key for some situations.

I don't know what gave you that idea but you are wrong.  Both the 42.5mm f/1.7 and the 42.mm f/1.2 Panasonic/Leica lenses support 5 axes IS.

17 minutes ago, Cary Knoop said:

If you like comfort and automatic features you should get a camcorder.  I don't think cameras like the GH5, Sony A7s II or the likes are made for you.

Heck if you don't care about 4K you can get great deals on second hand HD pro camcorders.

I don't know what gave you that idea but you are wrong.  Both the 42.5mm f/1.7 and the 42.mm f/1.2 Panasonic/Leica lenses support 5 axes IS.

Ah, not too up to speed on their available lenses.  The 42 sounds nice.

Either way...having acceptable ISO 800 and 1600 on an M43 system is something that most people desire.

18 minutes ago, Cary Knoop said:

Who said there is no 4k small camcorders?? They make 4k Smartphones! I said I use a G7 for stuff. Never said that there are junk. Just that they are gimped in a lot of ways bone stock. You are not going to make a very good video with a Sony A7s II without hanging a lot of stuff off of it unless it is a B or C camera. That is all I am saying.

9 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

Sounds like it! 

Some time ago I was doubting whether to buy the Nocticron f/1.2 or the the Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 to be connected with the Metabones speed booster to give f/1.3. 

I got the Sigma!

The Sigma is a great lens and it is a limited range zoom as well. I love it but there are two issues that the Noctircon solves:

1. It is very big and heavy and manual focus handheld is physically impossible unless you are an acrobat.  When recording handheld you get free weight exercises.  It is funny with those kind of lenses you don't hold the camera you pretty much hold the lens.

2. The autofocus is slow, not to blame Sigma or the Metabones speed booster, it is simply physics, the lens is very heavy.

So now I still want the Nocticron, on top of it! :)

The Sigma together with the Metabones speed booster make a great low light medium tele lens. 

It is not 5 axes IS but it still works great with IBIS alone:

41 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I mentioned these compromises -- and they are actually not necessarily related to the form factor. I record audio externally, have a set of screw-on ND filters and definitely can live without AF, even on a gimbal. I'd rather say 80% for me is getting on the location, being able to film and engage the characters, and the portability and inconspicuousness of mirrorless certainly helps with that a lot.

2 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

If you could see one test with the GH5, what would it be? Standalone test, as in, not comparing it to another camera (unfortunately).

A different type of lighting test.  Dark Colors in properly exposed settings.  It would be interesting to see how dark clothing, shadows, and other types of material are handled in both low and high ISO situations. 

3 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

If you could see one test with the GH5, what would it be? Standalone test, as in, not comparing it to another camera (unfortunately).

I'd love to see 10bit V-Log in 4K 24FPS, 1080P 24FPS, but also, want to specifically see if 10bit is available in 1080P at 60FPS (or higher) and what bit-rate that 10bit is.

10bit at a low bit-rate is virtually useless (depending on the codec).

1 hour ago, Neumann Films said:

Ah, not too up to speed on their available lenses.  The 42 sounds nice.

Either way...having acceptable ISO 800 and 1600 on an M43 system is something that most people desire.

I consider G7's footage acceptable at both iso 800 & 1600. What i am waiting for is a m43 camera with acceptable performance at 3200 iso. And as many here have already mentioned not every pro shooter uses lights.