GH5 Prototype

sanveer

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

People were referring to an 18MP or 20MP sensor, or even the 20MP sensor already out in the Olympus E-M1 II as being capable of 6K because they read this on the Panasonic website about 18 megapixel = 6K

I suggest you check the aspect ratio of 6000 x 3000, which is indeed 18MP but heavily letter boxed compared to what is needed for 3:2 or :4:3 photography.

In actual fact you will need to go to at least 24MP in total for 6K video AND 3:2 photos.

Very few photographers will be ok with a 2:1 aspect ratio! So I find it highly unlikey the sensor will be a total of 6000 x 3000 in such a wide aspect ratio as it is also sold Panasonic's flagship 4:3 stills camera! If take the Panasonic 6K photo press release info literally you will be mislead as to the true nature of the sensor and megapixel count.

Thats what I thought as well, this text is not logical at all, if 6K Photo mode is "Approx.6000 x 3000 effective pixel count" then it cannot be 4:3 or 3:2 as they write...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Furthermore if the sensor supports 6000 pixels width images and doesn't cheat, say upscaling 5K to 6K on the image processor from a lower resolution sensor, then this sensor must be different to the one in the Olympus E-M1 Mark II and with a higher megapixel count, which nobody really wanted or asked for as it comes at the expense of dynamic range and low light abilities.

Also why would Olympus go to all that trouble to do oversampling from 5K and incredibly low rolling shutter on what is predominantly a stills camera, if that sensor wasn't also designed for Panasonic?

Indeed didn't Panasonic actually make / or design the sensor in the original E-M1?

The E-M5 was a Sony chip but I remember a tear-down that revealed the E-M1's chip to be a Panasonic CMOS.

6 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

6K!

Not a bad New Years Resolution!  Seems like a sweet spot for Anamorphic shooters to finish in 4K.  Possibly even desqueeze up to 8K and then scale down by 2X to get that higher fidelity?  Would that work?

I mean, 6K is kind of a no man's land as far as finishing goes, so you might as well use that to get a better 4K finish?

5 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

I know, I know.  I pushed the grade way too far.

This is a bit off topic but...what is your New Years Resolution going to be this year, Andrew?

Don't know about Andrew, but I'm very partial to drinking 4992 glasses of water over 3744 days. Hmm, that will take me several new years resolutions...

7 hours ago, Cinegain said:

I'm pro resolutions. But uncooked would be the shit! 

For sure!  Unfortunately uncooked meat requires a bigger serving plate (due to all of the juices) than what my oven can hold at the moment.  So if I were to serve uncooked meat, it would likely only be possible outside of my current oven.  If at all.  Never know though!

My New Years Resolution was to clear the queue of projects and sloth around for a week straight.  Looks like that dream could become reality...

1219160815_HDR.jpg