GH5 Prototype

sanveer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 9/21/2016 at 7:14 AM, Andrew Reid said:

I'm going to have to defend the DSLR and mirrorless cameras big time...

ENG shoulder shooting is overrated. I personally don't want to lug around a big heavy camera with rails and a shoulder mount that can only be shot with in one position at one height. At least with a DSLR you have a choice whether you rig it up for ENG style shooting or something more minimal.

When you have 5 axis stabilisation and a body that weighs less than 1kg, it really isn't that hard :)

Indeed when you have an EVF (either built in or via loupe) you basically have the same shooting style as a Super 16mm camera and nobody is suggesting those aren't suitable for film work.

Times change.

The 18MP refers to 6000 x 3000 in 6K Photo Mode (the maths is 6000 * 3000 = 18 million pixels)

If the final sensor is in that aspect ratio I will eat my hat

There's no way it is going to be 18MP.

It will be in region of 24-28MP if it supports 6K res

How big is your Hat Andrew!  The only way I see them getting 6k and that sort of MP is if it has a Super 35 sensor in it. Or, if they have come out with some really Magic electronics jumbo mumbo that is new to everyone, even them. I think it Has to have some oversized sensor in it to pull this off. They have done that with the GH1 GH2. So they are not new to doing it.

17 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

I suspect there will be some limitation due to heat.

I don't think anyone's gotten the GX85 to overheat in 4K yet. In that big GH5 body? I think it'll be fine. But if all it takes to prevent overheating is not using IBIS for a while, that's a compromise I'm more than happy with.

7 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

I am not sure why everybody wants IBIS, do you all shoot handheld? If I may add another crazy feature request, please add RAW video (but I am pretty sure they will not :( ).

It's useful for hobbyists who want to shoot handheld with no additional rigging. I've used it once or twice for doc work and a couple specialty shots on narratives where we couldn't use sticks or a rig.

It lets you be lazy and still get good results, so of course we're all dying for it.

9 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

I am not sure why everybody wants IBIS, do you all shoot handheld? If I may add another crazy feature request, please add RAW video (but I am pretty sure they will not :( ).

Handheld videography is underrated. If Panasonic can reach the 6.5 stops of stabilisation of Olympus, I think it would be as smooth as a steadycam.

Development like this is Far Greater for lower budget indies, and Guerilla Shooting. For large productions stabilisation, ISO and zooms have no place. Too much time and money is spent on things which can be handled otherwise. And FX Artists and Companies are underpaid. 

16 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Yes a lot of us shoot handheld. 

If I'm not using a gimbal or slider for special movement, its handheld all the way. 

Budgets for work are crashing down because technology is so accessible, and handheld not only saves a lot of time lugging around support gear, it also heightens creativity as you can get the shoot you want easier, anywhere, at all sorts of angles. 

Either the Olympus or the GH5 will be the one for me, where fast, low footprint, high quality handheld work is needed. We'll see how they stack up.......

Of course some of us shoot handheld.   

By the way, with a rolling shutter scenario, even a shoulder rig can create problematic jello, so stabilization isn't just for freely holding the camera in your hand.  

If you are on a long enough lens, it can be useful even on a monopod.

And then, there are gigs where you want a very discreet belly cam with neck strap because you want to capture people without making them feel self conscious.  Weddings can fit that category (even though I never shoot them), but so can evening events (Gala event, dance party, private party, corporate cocktail party event), as well as anything else where it's important to fly under the radar.  

45 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

And, FWIW, I shoot "stabilized" most of the time with my hybrid cameras.  But, I will shoot with the stabilizer off for certain looks.  Sometimes, the immediacy and organic-ness of an unstabilized shot is ideal.

Dogma 95 consolidated the hype. Brecht's Verfremdungseffekt / V-effekt can mirror that. But, the fact is the suspension of disbelief requires to make the editing transparent. That is, if you're willing to sell "your reality" as real.

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

Dogma 95 consolidated the hype. Brecht's Verfremdungseffekt / V-effekt can mirror that. But, the fact is the suspension of disbelief requires to make the editing transparent. That is, if you're willing to sell "your reality" as real.

Are you suggesting that a visually subjective cinematic choice is actually not subjective?  If so, I'd argue that reality is subjective.

8 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

You know some people will actually buy a GH5 for the stills photography part LoL. I would think they would like it. And I am sure most of us will take a shot or two photo wise. :grin:

59 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Are you suggesting that a visually subjective cinematic choice is actually not subjective?  If so, I'd argue that reality is subjective.

First off, please pay attention when someone has added some commas to his/her text : ) Secondly, my post had two parts.

To answer any virtual invective : D there's also subjective objectivity, objective subjectivity, as well, many other possible configurations... : P

;-)

PS: Out of curiosity, I've made some google search only to check some other texts as crossroads on topic (I am a curious and avid reader by nature : )) and I've just found the name of an old teacher of mine from University (also screenwriter and actor) preaching on it:

Funny coincidence, word :-)

On Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 4:31 AM, TheRenaissanceMan said:

It definitely has enough space for proper cooling. In fact, one of the reasons it's the size it is is to accommodate the huge heatsink. And if you need full-size HDMI, XLR, and SDI, they make an accessory base for that.

Full size HDMI is not that big, it can certainly be done.

And mini XLR is *tiny*, that could be added too, but I highly doubt it.

Even if IBIS caused heating problems or a time limit on shooting with it on, shoot on a monopod or tripod with it OFF if you need takes over an hour!...this is not rocket science...this however may be a camera that will cost less (I'm guessing here) than $2500 but even if not, capable of shooting a feature film...looking at the Photokina mockup, the grip looks much deeper than the GH4 though the height looks about the same...maybe for extra battery power to accomidate IBIS and internal 10bit...Panasonic is consistenly ahead of the curve with every GH release...you either love or hate their cameras...the only camera other than a Panasonic I've considered buying is a Kinemax/ now Terra 6K...and this time Panny looks to be hitting this out of the ballpark...the truth is Fanboys will be Fanboys and hate this camera too, but no other company that I would consider, builds cameras that just work....consistently and reliably...and I know I'm a Panny Fanboy! LOL...So those who love Panasonic cameras, will probably be happier than ever with this one, and for all others, the great news is YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY THEM!!!...so I'm not even sure why this camera is already causing so much doubt and controversy across all forums....we are still probably 6 months away from learning what all the features will be WTF...