GH5 Prototype

sanveer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I just read an article on B&H about GH5 and now I am totally confused about the sensor.

It says that 6K photo will be around 6000x3000px...

6K PHOTO for Rapid 18MP Stills Capture

The number 1 standout feature of the Panasonic GH5 has to be its new 6K PHOTO mode. Functioning much like the existing high-speed burst 4K PHOTO modes with which we are already familiar, this more than doubles the resolution captured, to 18MP, or about 6000 x 3000. This means that you won’t have to sacrifice resolution to get super-fast stills capture.

... then later it says it will have newly developed 18MP sensor

Newly Developed 18MP Micro Four Thirds Sensor

As with almost every new camera these days, the GH5 sports a fancy new image sensor. This time it is an 18MP Micro Four Thirds sensor which, combined with upgraded digital signal processing and heat dissipation, should result in improved image quality and low-light performance.

I'm not sure that anyone would make a totally non standard 2:1 ratio sensor and that would also mean only 12MP stills in 4:3 ratio. I am not an expert but only multiaspect makes sense to me in this case.

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Am I the only one who preferred the GH1 and GH2 to when the GH3 gave us that 'serious' body?

Slimmer, smaller, more fun, more nimble controls, no daft rear wheel that you can't do full turns off because the rubber of the rear grip doesn't drop away next to it

I also prefer the original A7S to the A7R II / A7S II. Again, slimmer, more nimble controls, less complexity, less soulless and more shiny!

To each his own. The smaller bodies may be more fun-feeling, but the larger battery, more extensive button layout (WB, EC, ISO, and a custom button right under your index finger...mmm), and the improved build quality (dropped mine on cement/rock 3 or 4 times and there's not a scratch on it) make the new bodies a real no brainer for me. That recessed rear wheel means I never have to worry about my big meaty palms accidentally adjusting a setting, and the bigger size/grip helps it balance way better with large adapted lenses. The smaller bodies are really only designed for holding native glass.

If you want something lighter or smaller, there's the G7, the G80, and the GX85. But for those who want a premium build, I'm glad the GH3/GH4 body is an option. 

It's not large enough for XLR, full-sized HDMI, (single-link) SDI, a DC-in (maybe TC-in) and enough space for a proper cooling, so IBIS in the flagship camera modell is possible. Yet it's way bulkier then the GH1/GH2 and the Blackmagic Pocket (that produces a far better image). I can't reach the WB, EC, ISO buttons easily with my small hands but I must admit that the 2 scroll wheels are an improvement in work-speed.

2 minutes ago, marcuswolschon said:

It's not large enough for XLR, full-sized HDMI, (single-link) SDI, a DC-in (maybe TC-in) and enough space for a proper cooling, so IBIS in the flagship camera modell is possible. Yet it's way bulkier then the GH1/GH2 and the Blackmagic Pocket (that produces a far better image). I can't reach the WB, EC, ISO buttons easily with my small hands but I must admit that the 2 scroll wheels are an improvement in work-speed.

It definitely has enough space for proper cooling. In fact, one of the reasons it's the size it is is to accommodate the huge heatsink. And if you need full-size HDMI, XLR, and SDI, they make an accessory base for that.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

If you want something lighter or smaller, there's the G7, the G80, and the GX85. But for those who want a premium build, I'm glad the GH3/GH4 body is an option. 

Agreed, and for us that want extra premium there is the Canikons :)

Does anyone know of any good cages to give a gh4/5 a beefier grip without going overboard?

There's a company that makes something called a DJ cage...I have one for a GH2 but bought a much tighter cage by a company called Viewfactor and that's where the ergonomics on the GH4 shines...1 quickmenu button above the trackpad gives you access to all exposure settings via the front and rear wheels, allowing for blind touch control once you familiarize yourself with them...one wheel for different settings and another to adjust values within the accessed setting..could not be simpler...ideally suited for a cage, and reading about even SDI connectors failing on small hd monitors on the monitor side, clamping your HDMI connector is always a must IMHO therefore a cage or at least a tripod mount HDMI clamp is a must if you're going to use a monitor/viewfinder with any of these cams...I think the DJ cage was around $249...if I can find a link I'll PM it to you Mattias

On September 19, 2016 at 7:25 AM, ricardo_sousa11 said:

I was thinking of getting an Sony a7sII this week, but I guess ill hold...4k @ 60fps with 422 10 bit ? Damn! I was very skeptical with the rumors, but now that its announced, this is amazing!

I didnt see the conference, but is the sensor still M43 ? Any mentioning on the price or release date?

Blackmagic Ursa Mini says "Hi".........

Truth is the most important thing in an image is definitely color information and compression. This is what sets apart "nice" images from "Amazing".......

Ursa Mini 4.6k best image quality from any camera under 20k.......

1 hour ago, j.f.r. said:

Blackmagic Ursa Mini says "Hi".........

Truth is the most important thing in an image is definitely color information and compression. This is what sets apart "nice" images from "Amazing".......

Ursa Mini 4.6k best image quality from any camera under 20k.......

*up until ISO 400..

Dont get me wrong, I'd love to get an ursa, the image looks stunning...but terrible low light performance is not something I can live with, since my work isnt in a perfectly lit studio.

15 hours ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

*up until ISO 400..

Dont get me wrong, I'd love to get an ursa, the image looks stunning...but terrible low light performance is not something I can live with, since my work isnt in a perfectly lit studio.

How do you figure? The 4.6K has a native ISO of 800, and enough DR to push that 2+ stops.

3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

And, as already written, already matched by G7 too.

True, but remember that codec also ties in to low light performance. A thicker 10-bit codec will mean smoother, less compressed shadows, which means better-looking night scenes.