GH5 Prototype

sanveer

7 minutes ago, Davey said:

Sony will be on to this already and will be looking to trump it with the a7r3 before the GH5 is released. They won't hang about.

4 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

I bet they will not. They were a year behind on the gh4 with 4k. +Sony has a lot of higher end lines to protect.

Sony won't feat a internal 10-bit 422 recording anytime soon.

Sony is very protective about their higher end products, they haven't even offered 10-bit 422 externally, much less internally, something that is only available from the FS7 and above, not even the FS5 has internal 10-bit 422 recording.

There is a reason Sony still hasn't fixed overheating, why the A6300 doesn't even have IBIS or why despite people actually wanting one, there is no A7000.

Don't count on Sony to get the same feats as the GH5, even internal 4K took quite some time before Sony was able to catch up anyway.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, Davey said:
5 hours ago, The Chris said:

No IBIS. No PADF. 

Does a nice job of filling the spec sheet though, looking forward to footage ... sometime next year.

Despite the impressive spec, leaving out IBIS and PADF may make this a non-starter for me.

Lets see what Olympus drops with the EM1mmkII

People have worked themselves into a frenzy for a good year now. Anything less than perfection will disappoint many a videographer.

I know this is the Internet, but for those that watched the presentation, this is still a product in development and one that isn't final nor they had released the full final specs, so unless Panasonic says so, omission is far from the same as a sure thing that it won't have some feat.

People need to be patience and wait for the full announcement, just be happy that the internal 10-bit 422 recording is true despite the odds, this camera is still a few months away from shipment.

That said, it would be wise for Panasonic to at least address the IBIS, so people can either freak out or calm down.

Don't Panic

14 minutes ago, Davey said:

Sony will be on to this already and will be looking to trump it with the a7r3 before the GH5 is released. They won't hang about.

Imo the only company that could have done something similar (actually even better imo) in late 2016/early 2017 could have been Samsung with nx1-mk2. Since we won't ever see this camera, I guess sony will come with something competitive, but not sooner than 2018.

4 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

This is the first camera since the release of nx1 which sounds innovative and interesting to me.

The NX1 was released less than two years ago.  Realistically a mind blowing camera isn't going to come out every six months.

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Is depressing reading on other places on the internet how quick the anti-MFT trolls are out, and of course their first red herring is "but it sucks at low light".

This low light argument reminds me of the megapixel race, sure there was big benefits from going from 2 megapixels to 5 megapixels, 12 megapixels, but then at around 16 megapixels to 24 megapixels range... the arguments got a *lot* weaker. And for 99.9% of users we don't need 50 megapixels!Ditto low light, not being constrained by 50 ISO film is *AWESOME*, then getting to 200 ISO... great! And now we can do workable 800 and 1600 and even 3200 ISO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyeKIOV-EZw

Let's assume GH5 carries on and is one stop better even than that? How is that not a very workable ability to handle?

The "see in the dark" camera requests are ridiculous, but on the budget end of the spectrum silky smooth 3200 ISO is a bit hard to find.  Even that video didn't for example have a model standing under a street light at 1 am.  The stuff in the store windows was lit by indoor spotlights and everything on the street was really dark.

I use a BMPCC and have had hotpixel issues when lifting shadows at ISO 1600.  Bulletproof 3200 ISO coupled with a speedbooster would be a god send.

16 minutes ago, Marco Tecno said:

Imo the only company that could have done something similar (actually even better imo) in late 2016/early 2017 could have been Samsung with nx1-mk2. Since we won't ever see this camera, I guess sony will come with something competitive, but not sooner than 2018.

Yeah, I think you are probably right. 

If Panasonic can deliver as they did with the GH4 then that will push others, who in turn will push the GH6 until we end up with a Godlike all-seeing prosumer unit for £200 come 2025.

Yeah A7S iso's are crazy and are almost never needed. However a clean iso 1600 or 3200 would be very welcome. Like when you are running run and gun with an anamorphic lens, and you can only open up to 2.8 or 5.6 and you do not have access to any lights (yeah I know it is like 0,00001% of you guys that are doing this, but this is something that I would welcome). I dont need IBIS or autofocus. I shoot with manual lenses and I use grip to stabilize (gymbals, dolly's, glidecams).

So my wishlist besides the 10bit:

- Clean iso up to 3200
- Hopefully 1 or 2 stops better DR
- hopefully the image is better then the GH4 with a external recorder.
- Anamorphic desqueeze internal(probably not likely)
- Cropmarks
- improved v-log 
- better codec

2 hours ago, theSUBVERSIVE said:

I know this is the Internet, but for those that watched the presentation, this is still a product in development and one that isn't final nor they had released the full final specs, so unless Panasonic says so, omission is far from the same as a sure thing that it won't have some feat.

People need to be patience and wait for the full announcement, just be happy that the internal 10-bit 422 recording is true despite the odds, this camera is still a few months away from shipment.

That said, it would be wise for Panasonic to at least address the IBIS, so people can either freak out or calm down.

Don't Panic

I'm not panicking, the camera is 6 months or more from being released, but its a feature that would have certainly been highlighted at the presentation or the presser. If its in there, it would have been a part of the presentation. None of the Panny's have PADF, no surprise that the GH5 doesn't either.

It still looks like a great mockup/specsheet. Like I said, looking for to samples, whenever they actually surface.

This camera will be dead serious about video! Nice! But first I'm just going to get the Pana G8x and Oly E-M1 mark II I think to replace the G7, GX80 and E-M1. Pretty much covers every basic need. For more control and possibilities however, the GH4 might just have to make way for that GH5 with LOG, anamorphic ratios/de-squeeze, pro audio solution, battery life etc. Although, I wouldn've have minded if they had something between the GH and the VariCam line-up for video. Something in the direction of the Kinefinity Terra. Basically all the GH5 mojo but not inside a GH4-style body, but a Terra-like body. But who knows what the future holds!

5 hours ago, Davey said:

A few weeks ago it was 'no way Panasonic' will do internal 10-bit', now it's 'Sony will trump it before it's released'.

No way. Sony don't even have 10-bit 4K in the FS5. They have higher end ranges to protect.

I was about to sell my MFT gear. Now I'm thinking if waiting might be better. This camera looks indeed amazing!

But as a previous guy, I really hope the AF is good. The reason why I'm with canon DSLRs as my main tool, even though the video is meh, is dual pixel AF. It's just THAT good. Not even the a6300 can reach it at the moment. Don't care about IBIS, but please superb autofocus!

7 hours ago, theSUBVERSIVE said:

With what Olympus just announced, I think that Panasonic is working on something to improve AF as well. I'll worry about AF later when they fully announce the GH5 but before that Panasonic does need to address IBIS to the public.

I hope we get surprised with a big autofocus improvement on the GH5. In the meantime, I have my eye on that EM1-mkII.

I think that the 6K photo burst extraction feature is actually a tip off to the GH5 doing 6K full uncropped (<2x of FF) 16:9 sensor width readout and down-sampling to 4k, which hopefully matches the a6300's high-res detail. 

There's no reason to write off the possibility of external 10-bit 4:2:2 4k60p.

I'm still nervous it might not have IBIS or good on-sensor PDAF.

I am guessing if the Olympus EM 1 ii  can have 121 cross-point on-chip PDAF, then obviously there seems no reason why the  Panasonic GH5 should have far better focus for Photo, and a much higher burst rate.

I am guessing the PDAF is a fabrication process, on existing sensors, and is not very difficult. Though for mirrorless cameras, since everything is electronic, it may be an issue of processing power. And that is why Panasonic may also need a pair of quad core processors,  one solely for focus. This may be a blessing for both photo and video. If Canon and Sony can do it, I see no reason why Panasonic cannot do it too. 

Also, there is some kind of Focus Improvement in the FZ2000 which is noticeable from its fake dolly zoom feature. It doesn't lose focus while zooming in. I am guessing Panasonic is Already working on PDAF in a huge way.

I read in some Fuji interview that faster focussing needs much lighter moving parts within the lens. And that is why their new lenses are being planned accordingly. 

We basically just got a Hint of the GH5's features. It is going to be a real powerhouse. 

3 hours ago, sanveer said:

Though for mirrorless cameras, since everything is electronic, it may be an issue of processing power. And that is why Panasonic may also need a pair of quad core processors,  one solely for focus.

Panasonic will probably have to throw in fast processors because it must handle 4K 60p and 10bit 422, so I think they will have horse power covered.