GH5 Prototype

sanveer

10 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Is depressing reading on other places on the internet how quick the anti-MFT trolls are out, and of course their first red herring is "but it sucks at low light".

This low light argument reminds me of the megapixel race, sure there was big benefits from going from 2 megapixels to 5 megapixels, 12 megapixels, but then at around 16 megapixels to 24 megapixels range... the arguments got a *lot* weaker. And for 99.9% of users we don't need 50 megapixels!Ditto low light, not being constrained by 50 ISO film is *AWESOME*, then getting to 200 ISO... great! And now we can do workable 800 and 1600 and even 3200 ISO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyeKIOV-EZw

Let's assume GH5 carries on and is one stop better even than that? How is that not a very workable ability to handle?

Do we NEED to have clean 100,00 ISO?? Nah, that is over the top in nearly all cases. 

I'd rather pass on the unnecessary over the top extreme high ISO capabilities and have instead the well polished and extensive range of features that the GH5 will have.

I don't really care about anti-MTF or any other anti-something. Even more because the behavior of those people are the same as a 5 year old kid that his friend has a new toy, he doesn't even know what it can or cannot, but even if he knows, he nitpicks and disdain, just so he can feel better about he has, covering his possible insecurities and jealousy. It's pointless to waste your time on that, just choose whatever works for you and that's it. Be happy and talk with your images or something! hahahaha...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Is depressing reading on other places on the internet how quick the anti-MFT trolls are out, and of course their first red herring is "but it sucks at low light".

This low light argument reminds me of the megapixel race, sure there was big benefits from going from 2 megapixels to 5 megapixels, 12 megapixels, but then at around 16 megapixels to 24 megapixels range... the arguments got a *lot* weaker. And for 99.9% of users we don't need 50 megapixels!Ditto low light, not being constrained by 50 ISO film is *AWESOME*, then getting to 200 ISO... great! And now we can do workable 800 and 1600 and even 3200 ISO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyeKIOV-EZw

Let's assume GH5 carries on and is one stop better even than that? How is that not a very workable ability to handle?

Do we NEED to have clean 100,00 ISO?? Nah, that is over the top in nearly all cases. 

I'd rather pass on the unnecessary over the top extreme high ISO capabilities and have instead the well polished and extensive range of features that the GH5 will have.

So true. I see all these frustrated Camera users who want like 100MP Stills and 4 million ISO on M4/3 cameras. And they don't want to spend anything more than a 2-3 year old point and shoot.

THANK YOU, IronFilm. If I need more than ISO 3200 and a fast lens, I'm doing something wrong.

Not exactly a headline spec, but I'm really hoping this guy has a full sensor width 4K mode and a pixel-to-pixel cropped 4K mode, so we can get multiple focal lengths/more reach out of a single lens.

Love the new audio interface. Looks more practical than the Sony, and more portable than the YAGH.

Can anyone tell what kind of HDMI it has? Even mini would be a step up from the GH4's micro, AKA the worst video connection in history.

EDIT: That interview above states explicitly that the G80 has 8-bit 4:2:2 internal. He could've been wrong, but it's worth noting.

26 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

THANK YOU, IronFilm. If I need more than ISO 3200 and a fast lens, I'm doing something wrong.

Or you could be recording a dark stage scene that is 50m away.

Or using the slow motion features in anything but bright sunlight.

A battery grip is nice but it means taking the GH4R/GH5 out of it's cage with the fixed HDMI cable. And frankly...the batteries in the GH4 last for ages.

More details on that XLR adaptor would be nice (how it's powered,... it doesn't seem to have a headphone-jack and I see no connection to the camera)

IBIS would have been great for use with manual cine lenses or manual, fast lenses behind a Metabones Speed Booster.

Let's see if some of the limitations of the GH4 are gone now.

* 30min european recording limit on non-R models

* V-log integrated by default

* larger HDMI port

* Wifi when doing 10bit or 50p

* real DCI 4K instead of UHD in 25p and 50p

* internal recording when doing 10bit HDMI output

* higher bitrates (forget about denoising when your shadows are made up of MPEG macro-blocks)

* a ready-to-edit codec

* push-to-AF and magnification while recording

* CinemaDNG for an UHD 25p photo burst mode that lasts more then 2 seconds would be great. Have raw recording even if it's without sound.

* hoping for scopes or a DC-in port that powers the camera and charges the battery would be unrealistic

2 minutes ago, marcuswolschon said:

Or you could be recording a dark stage scene that is 50m away.

Or using the slow motion features in anything but bright sunlight.

Both are relatively niche needs. Besides, I just recorded a wedding at ISO 3200 and fast lenses on a speedbooster in similar conditions. No problems at all.

Do you not own any lights? Besides, f/2 and ISO 3200 is enough for HFR in most reasonably lit areas, not just bright sunlight.

I don't shoot primarily documentary, but outside some fringe cases, it just doesn't seem necessary for 95% of users. That 5% might need a camera that shoots a clean 12,800, and they can buy A7S', but the rest of us really have no excuse beyond measurebating.

13 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Do you not own any lights? Besides, f/2 and ISO 3200 is enough for HFR in most reasonably lit areas, not just bright sunlight.

I don't shoot primarily documentary, but outside some fringe cases, it just doesn't seem necessary for 95% of users. That 5% might need a camera that shoots a clean 12,800, and they can buy A7S', but the rest of us really have no excuse beyond measurebating.

No I don't (other people provide that) and the rest of the audience would surely complain. ;)

I don't think e.g. music performances are a fringe case. That's actually a common scenario from a garage band that wants a recording in a dark backstreet bar to a fan visiting a festival and catching some memories.

I also don't do slomo all the time or 24fps or Wifi remote control or foreign 30p but it's still an option that I'd pay for in a camera.

I don't like to be limited by my tools. Even if I end up using a feature just once a year, I still like to have when I need it.

Unfortunately, looks like that no IBIS on the GH5 - IBIS was extensively mentioned in the G80 announcement, and since IBIS had disappeared in the last rumors about the GH5 (and the rumours are right in almost all of the other features), I guess that no IBIS in the camera.

Maybe the line of thought (or line of excuse) from Panasonic is that this is a "camera for professionals" (it was very highlighted in the press conference, mentioned a lot of times: GH5 is the professional camera, the G80 is for enthusiasts); no other "professional" cameras (Canon's C-line, Red, Blackmagic, Arri..) have IBIS,and they will probably say that professionals could get better results with gimbals or steadicams (not that I agree with them). "Oh, run and gun"? Use the G80 or the new FZ2500 (which even have V-log now as a paid upgrade). That will probably be their excuse (the real reason could be avoiding any more heat around the sensor - the camera still have no fans).

If they are right or not, only time will tell.

I think that the sensor is not new too - it's the same 20mp sensor from Sony. Albeit with some improvements (the sensor is in the E-M1 MKII and Olympus are saying that it have a 1-stop gain). The press release mentioned "6K photo (18mp)", that is the marketing gimmic that I mentioned some posts ago.

Apart from that, the camera looks awesome. And the joystick to change the focal point is very interesting for stills (and was a surprise).

40 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Unfortunately, looks like that no IBIS on the GH5 - IBIS was extensively mentioned in the G80 announcement, and since IBIS had disappeared in the last rumors about the GH5 (and the rumours are right in almost all of the other features), I guess that no IBIS in the camera.

Maybe the line of thought (or line of excuse) from Panasonic is that this is a "camera for professionals" (it was very highlighted in the press conference, mentioned a lot of times: GH5 is the professional camera, the G80 is for enthusiasts); no other "professional" cameras (Canon's C-line, Red, Blackmagic, Arri..) have IBIS,and they will probably say that professionals could get better results with gimbals or steadicams (not that I agree with them). "Oh, run and gun"? Use the G80 or the new FZ2500 (which even have V-log now as a paid upgrade). That will probably be their excuse (the real reason could be avoiding any more heat around the sensor - the camera still have no fans).

If they are right or not, only time will tell.

I think that the sensor is not new too - it's the same 20mp sensor from Sony. Albeit with some improvements (the sensor is in the E-M1 MKII and Olympus are saying that it have a 1-stop gain). The press release mentioned "6K photo (18mp)", that is the marketing gimmic that I mentioned some posts ago.

Apart from that, the camera looks awesome. And the joystick to change the focal point is very interesting for stills (and was a surprise).

I'm pretty sure it will have IBIS. They announce everything that is not on the other Panasonic cameras currently to get a wow factor. And they said (And More) after the features they listed.

4 minutes ago, Cassius McGowan said:

I'm pretty sure it will have IBIS. They announce everything that is not on the other Panasonic cameras currently to get a wow factor. And they said (And More) after the features they listed.

Agreed. This didn't look like a full announcement with all the specs. Logically speaking there is nothing that should prevent the GH5 from having IBIS, even if it only works with some limitations. On the other had, the backslash for not having it will be tremendous, so I also think that omission isn't the same as sure thing.

23 minutes ago, theSUBVERSIVE said:

Agreed. This didn't look like a full announcement with all the specs. Logically speaking there is nothing that should prevent the GH5 from having IBIS, even if it only works with some limitations. On the other had, the backslash for not having it will be tremendous, so I also think that omission isn't the same as sure thing.

Maybe IBIS but no proper video AF then..... :(

1 minute ago, wolf33d said:

Maybe IBIS but no proper video AF then..... :(

But how is one thing related to the other? With what Olympus just announced, I think that Panasonic is working on something to improve AF as well. I'll worry about AF later when they fully announce the GH5 but before that Panasonic does need to address IBIS to the public.

6 hours ago, dfreerider said:

Sounds really cool! The only let downs were no mention of IBIS and that it might be 8-9 months away from release. Hopefully, the innovation of 4K 10-bit internal recording will force Sony and others to respond. Exciting times.

Sony will be on to this already and will be looking to trump it with the a7r3 before the GH5 is released. They won't hang about.

5 hours ago, The Chris said:

No IBIS. No PADF. 

Does a nice job of filling the spec sheet though, looking forward to footage ... sometime next year.

Despite the impressive spec, leaving out IBIS and PADF may make this a non-starter for me.

Lets see what Olympus drops with the EM1mmkII

People have worked themselves into a frenzy for a good year now. Anything less than perfection will disappoint many a videographer.