Fs700 / Ody7q+ worth it as a B-cam?

Jpr

Hi

I've been really enjoying using my fs5 and c100 for weddings/events/documentaries and some corporate stuff.

What I have struggled with though is matching slog2 on the fs5 to the c100. Even using more neutral profiles like cine4 can be very tricky. The c100 has great ergonomics and colour but the lack of HFR is a bit of a downer. I'd like to keep the c100 just for run and gun but for more high budget affairs then two cameras with HFR and colour matching is appealing.

The option of a metabones XL ultra, FS700 with 4k upgrade and a odyssey 7q+ with ssds/batteries came available to us for £3500 which seems too good to pass up? It would match quite nicely with the fs5 as they should be able to be in the same slog2/colour space and with the o7q+. The ergonomics of the fs700 put me off slightly, but they dont seem insurmountable.  I'm just wondering if people had experiences still using the fs700 and what they thought of the quality in todays market?

TLDR: Is £3500 for a used fs700 + o7q+ a good deal and worth it in todays market?

Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Just used an FS700 yesterday, ironically with Metabones Speedbooster and Canon glass.  Video looked incredible.  We shot lacrosse footage in the rain at 240fps and it was stunning.  I think it's a very capable camera, especially in the hands of a good videographer.  If it makes sense, go for it, you can always resell if you're not 100% happy.  The only way you'll know is to try it out, as it's a very subjective question.

On 9/18/2016 at 11:43 AM, Jpr said:

Hi

I've been really enjoying using my fs5 and c100 for weddings/events/documentaries and some corporate stuff.

What I have struggled with though is matching slog2 on the fs5 to the c100. Even using more neutral profiles like cine4 can be very tricky. The c100 has great ergonomics and colour but the lack of HFR is a bit of a downer. I'd like to keep the c100 just for run and gun but for more high budget affairs then two cameras with HFR and colour matching is appealing.

The option of a metabones XL ultra, FS700 with 4k upgrade and a odyssey 7q+ with ssds/batteries came available to us for £3500 which seems too good to pass up? It would match quite nicely with the fs5 as they should be able to be in the same slog2/colour space and with the o7q+. The ergonomics of the fs700 put me off slightly, but they dont seem insurmountable.  I'm just wondering if people had experiences still using the fs700 and what they thought of the quality in todays market?

TLDR: Is £3500 for a used fs700 + o7q+ a good deal and worth it in todays market?

Thanks.

I was in the same situation that you are -earlier this year. I had C100ii and loved everything except the weak codec. I sold it and bought an FS700 + O7Q. So many things to love about it.

-RAW to ProRes recording in the O7Q was great. Nice sturdy files.

-Tons of slow mo options that were exciting.

-Used with a Speedbooster you get near full frame coverage.

The reason that I didn't keep it for long: weight. It was pretty awkward to always have the 7" O7Q connected and the ergonomics are not already great on the FS700. I do a lot of handheld work so it just wasn't right for me. I ended up get the BM Ursa Mini 4.6K since I could record big ProRes files in camera and also have a wonderful 5" screen on camera.

8 hours ago, ncam said:

If it makes sense, go for it, you can always resell if you're not 100% happy. 

Agree with this. The 7Q with the Sony Raw feature is under 1800, the FS700R is under 3 grand. I've seen really nice stuff done with this setup, but the color can definitely be frustrating. I'm currently using the F3, have access to the fs700/recorder. I think the F3 image looks much nicer, but at the same time, doesn't have those crazy resolutions or frame rates. 4/120fps for that price is no joke. I would most likely buy a Ursa Mini if it had internal ND filters. I find messing with internal filters to be just as bad as the size as the fs700/7q.

If you want, I an host some S-Log 2 raw files for you. 

1 hour ago, Jpr said:

I do love the 4.6k files, not sure how well it would mix with the fs5 even with the pro res/raw and a recorder. With variable NDs is it something you would bring to events ? Or is it a strictly studio camera?

Yeah it can definitely be used as an event camera. I would use a 90wh V mount battery to keep the weight down.

4 hours ago, BenEricson said:

Agree with this. The 7Q with the Sony Raw feature is under 1800, the FS700R is under 3 grand. I've seen really nice stuff done with this setup, but the color can definitely be frustrating. I'm currently using the F3, have access to the fs700/recorder. I think the F3 image looks much nicer, but at the same time, doesn't have those crazy resolutions or frame rates. 4/120fps for that price is no joke. I would most likely buy a Ursa Mini if it had internal ND filters. I find messing with internal filters to be just as bad as the size as the fs700/7q.

If you want, I an host some S-Log 2 raw files for you. 

That would be great Ben, if you had some s log prores stuff that would be great too.

Aaron thanks, It doesn't look too big or heavy especially stripped down. I guess it comes down to price. 3.5k for fs700/o7q+ with all the trimmings, vs 4.3k for Ursa 4.6k, + batteries + cards + top rail and other bits needed (already own a viewfinder I could use on it) is 5k easily.