1DX Mk II video

tomsemiterrific

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, DBounce said:

Here's a shot from a test shoot I did today.

E95I3183.jpg

I'm putting very serious consideration into the 1DX II. 

Have you tried Andrew's C-log profile yet, or James Millers DELUT version? 

I'd love to play with some footage and see how it responds to my often slightly aggressive grading style. 

• Administrators

I ended up getting a 1D X Mark II as well.

It's astoundingly good but it has ONE really surprisingly disappointing aspect - they removed the digital moire filter in 1080p mode - it has more moire than the 5D Mark III and 1D X 1080p. A backward step for 1080/24p full frame. Good job there are plenty of other cameras much cheaper than shoot good full frame 1080p like the A7S!

16 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's astoundingly good but it has ONE really surprisingly disappointing aspect - they removed the digital moire filter in 1080p mode - it has more moire than the 5D Mark III and 1D X 1080p. A backward step for 1080/24p full frame. Good job there are plenty of other cameras much cheaper than shoot good full frame 1080p like the A7S!

Awesome, did you end up buying it from that link I sent you? 

How are the files responding to your C-log emulation? 

How good is the HD 120fps? 

Have you tried a small monitor on the hot shoe? (need to know what the camera displays). 

What stands out about it as opposed to the A7SII? (my current small form factor weapon). 

As you can see, I'm after information from users as I'm seriously considering it. 

• Administrators

The ergonomics for stills stand out vs the A7S II, much nicer. For video the live-view experience is a big improvement with much higher frame rate screen, very quick to switch between video and stills mode on a lever, very quick to pause the AF by pressing a function button (either toggle or hold) or lock onto a subject simply by pressing the touch screen. The AF system on this camera is the best I've ever used be it video or stills, it rocks in both. Dual Pixel AF is an absolute bomb. It recognises faces in near darkness even when you can't see them yourself on the screen. It never seems to slow down much even in low light. Even at F1.2 on my beloved EF 50mm F1.2L it does a very good job so you barely have to think about focus. Not used manual focus on it yet ONCE.

The automatic white balance maintains a warm naturalness to scenes with mixed indoor / outdoor lights, very nice indeed and never seems too cold or clinical. Colour is astounding on this camera.

The 120fps quality is good for that kind of frame rate, and it is full frame. Better than the A7S II 120fps. It is almost the same quality as the 1080/24p. The 1080/24p is as detailed as the 1D C's full frame 1080/24p but without the moire correction.

Not tried the HDMI output yet but has option for 1080/60/50p in the menu, so should do nice 1080/60p 1.3x crop when set to 4K 60p mode in-cam.

4K image quality is as you'd expect :)

Fucking good.

The file sizes are a downside as is the moire in full frame video mode 1080p. I used to shoot a lot of 1080p on the 1D C to get around the massive MJPEG codec.

Rolling shutter MUCH less than A7S II and 1D C in 4K!

Will say a lot more in the review, as only had the camera for 2 days! Bought it in Berlin at a store brand new.

32 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The ergonomics for stills stand out vs the A7S II, much nicer. For video the live-view experience is a big improvement with much higher frame rate screen, very quick to switch between video and stills mode on a lever, very quick to pause the AF by pressing a function button (either toggle or hold) or lock onto a subject simply by pressing the touch screen. The AF system on this camera is the best I've ever used be it video or stills, it rocks in both. Dual Pixel AF is an absolute bomb. It recognises faces in near darkness even when you can't see them yourself on the screen. It never seems to slow down much even in low light. Even at F1.2 on my beloved EF 50mm F1.2L it does a very good job so you barely have to think about focus. Not used manual focus on it yet ONCE.

The automatic white balance maintains a warm naturalness to scenes with mixed indoor / outdoor lights, very nice indeed and never seems too cold or clinical. Colour is astounding on this camera.

The 120fps quality is good for that kind of frame rate, and it is full frame. Better than the A7S II 120fps. It is almost the same quality as the 1080/24p. The 1080/24p is as detailed as the 1D C's full frame 1080/24p but without the moire correction.

Not tried the HDMI output yet but has option for 1080/60/50p in the menu, so should do nice 1080/60p 1.3x crop when set to 4K 60p mode in-cam.

Fucking good.

The file sizes are a downside as is the moire in full frame video mode 1080p. I used to shoot a lot of 1080p on the 1D C to get around the massive MJPEG codec.

Will say a lot more in the review, as only had the camera for 2 days! Bought it in Berlin at a store brand new.

Welcome back to the Canon side ;)

43 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Fucking good.

Awesome - thanks for the info. 

The important thing for me is how the camera operates with a 5" SmallHD 501 and whether the the 4k footage can be pushed to look, ahem "organic, cinematic, filmic"... y'know, those words we use to describe the feel of a cinematic image. 

56 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Awesome - thanks for the info. 

The important thing for me is how the camera operates with a 5" SmallHD 501 and whether the the 4k footage can be pushed to look, ahem "organic, cinematic, filmic"... y'know, those words we use to describe the feel of a cinematic image. 

Have not used the SmallHD monitor, opted instead to just purchase the wireless adapter as you can control focus pulls remotely with the app. As for how far you can push the footage... it's pretty good. Not as flexible as a high-end dedicated cinema camera, but much more flexible than the Sony Alpha cameras. The MJpeg files can be pushed to well beyond where the Sonys images fall apart. However, after grading the Terra footage, I can tell you it does fall short of that level of flexibility. Granted, the 1DXMkII has strengths that dedicated cinema cameras do not. Low-light is better, autofocus, etc... You can't have it all. Not it one body anyway. 

I have not used Andrew's C-log profile yet, or James Millers DELUT version. To this point I am wondering how you and others here might feel about the idea of using baked in picture profiles that are created to closely match the look that you are hoping to achieve for your projects. I am thinking this might be a better way to work with an 8 bit image. Here is one such profile that I'm thinking of experimenting with:

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I predicted a long time ago that you would get this camera. To be fair, while not perfect... and while Canon did leave out a few goodies. It is the best hybird DSLR available as of this writing. Welcome back!

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Nice. Welcome to the club! Looking forward to seeing your review and videos with the 1DX II.

29 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Have not used the SmallHD monitor, opted instead to just purchase the wireless adapter as you can control focus pulls remotely with the app. As for how far you can push the footage... it's pretty good. Not as flexible as a high-end dedicated cinema camera, but much more flexible than the Sony Alpha cameras. The MJpeg files can be pushed to well beyond where the Sonys images fall apart. However, after grading the Terra footage, I can tell you it does fall short of that level of flexibility. Granted, the 1DXMkII has strengths that dedicated cinema cameras do not. Low-light is better, autofocus, etc... You can't have it all. Not it one body anyway. 

I have not used Andrew's C-log profile yet, or James Millers DELUT version. To this point I am wondering how you and others here might feel about the idea of using baked in picture profiles that are created to closely match the look that you are hoping to achieve for your projects. I am thinking this might be a better way to work with an 8 bit image. Here is one such profile that I'm thinking of experimenting with:

I predicted a long time ago that you would get this camera. To be fair, while not perfect... and while Canon did leave out a few goodies. It is the best hybird DSLR available as of this writing. Welcome back!

Thanks for the info. 

What's the quality like when viewing on a smartphone/iPad? I can't seem to find an example of what it looks like online with the camera. 

I can completely understand your suggestion of getting the look in camera, however I'm an absolute grading nut. It's part of the process I enjoy the most, so having go profiles, LUTs and other grading tools are right up my street. There are limitations for me with the in-camera look for example, I can't stand crushed shadows, blown out highlights, steep roll-off and over sharpened images that are paramount with non-Log modes/profiles. I like it smooth. 

Philip Bloom certainly managed to get a cinematic feel in the images, even though they do look a teeny little bit too Film Converty. 

31 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Thanks for the info. 

What's the quality like when viewing on a smartphone/iPad? I can't seem to find an example of what it looks like online with the camera. 

I can completely understand your suggestion of getting the look in camera, however I'm an absolute grading nut. It's part of the process I enjoy the most, so having go profiles, LUTs and other grading tools are right up my street. There are limitations for me with the in-camera look for example, I can't stand crushed shadows, blown out highlights, steep roll-off and over sharpened images that are paramount with non-Log modes/profiles. I like it smooth. 

Philip Bloom certainly managed to get a cinematic feel in the images, even though they do look a teeny little bit too Film Converty. 

To my eyes the remote monitoring via smartphone or tablet works well enough. There is some lag, but it's workable. I also like grading. It's just that I am considering ways to speed up the workflow. Canon colors look pretty dam good, so unless I am looking for something highly stylized I might be able to use baked in colors 80% of the time. It really comes down to time. I'm looking to start trying my hand at some pro shooting. But the business end of things is leading me to start to think about ways to decrease turn around time.

Not sure why it should not work well with the 501 monitor... I use, especially on a gimbal, a el cheapo Lilliput monitor and it works great, it works at every framerate either with the camera recording FullHD or 4k... Zebra, Histogram, Peaking works too.... The 501 being a much more professional monitor should work even better.

The wifi is really good for a second operator for setting the focus via touch or to control the camera while mounted in a non accessible location like cablecam or jib.... The lag is noticeable and also the frame rate is lower... not sure I would use it as a primary monitor, as a remote monitor it works well enough and is much cheaper compared to a more pro solution like teradek + monitor

I've been itching for this cam as well! Slight image trade offs from the 1DC for huge usability gains like autofocus and sharp slo mo. 

One thing that I have yet to hear mentioned on here is how beautiful the underexposure of the 1dc or 1dx mjpeg can be. It just has a nice shadow rolloff. I shot at the Georgia aquarium in 4k last week on a family trip and noticed how clean the images came out. very cinematic feeling, never got this with the 6d or 5d without overexposing and then trying to bring it back down.

If the manfrotto Sympla thumb controller can move the auto focus box around that'd be a great setup for single user gimbal work.

1DC_3301.png

8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Looking forward to the review. I just bit the bullet and ordered one from BH. But speaking of reviews, have you given up on the promised XC10 review??? I've been looking forward to that review. Have the XC15s arrived in Deutschland?

Your C-log works a treat. Put several folks on to it.

19 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Will say a lot more in the review...

I am very excited about your up-coming review. When can we expect it? For a camera that's been out since February, there really aren't that many full blown reviews of it.  There are plenty of photographer's reviews but there are barely any concerning the video aspects of the camera. Philip Bloom's review is okay, but it was kind of a quick once-over. I have a Canon 5D MK III and an original C300 that I have been waiting to ditch for a year now, but I have not seen the camera out there that I want just yet.  I have shot with the Sony FS7 and considered switching over to it but I just couldn't handle those awful menus and it's size. The A7S II is an option, but again, Sony's menus really make me hate using their cameras.  Plus I don't really like grading SLOG. The 1DX MK II doesn't look like it's a perfect camera by any means, but it looks better to me than any of the other options out there at the moment.  I will wait for your review before I decide to pull the trigger.  Hope to see it soon!