Zombie Feature Film being shot in NZ with a Samsung NX1 is in the news

IronFilm

Nothing to do with me (other than a know a few people on it), as I live kinda close to where it was being filmed:

http://tvnz.co.nz/seven-sharp/just-went-crazy-callout-zombie-wannabes-sees-northland-inundated-video-6493059

Oh! Just stumbled across another feature film shot on a Samsung NX1, this one in South Australia:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Astonishingly "We Are Heros" was shot in just **FOUR** days! :-o

A snippet of more info from Carl Mills who was part of it:

On facebook some shots look a bit average, but apparently the full res edit on a cinema screen looked the part, with people mistaking it for Red footage (thanks Samyang Cine Primes and NX1). 

We also used a RX10 for some super slow shots and a DJI Osmo for some of the nasty battle shots.

Looks pretty okay, its a shame the audio is the first thing that really made me aware this is a low budget project, the audio is way more important than the picture itself, with poor audio the viewer experience can be completely ruined.
The grading for me was quite unatural this really reminds me why I like older B-movies shot on film because colours are more natural, not the fault of camera more from the grader himself and just my subjective opinion.
Otherwise, looks to be pretty aright they probably rushed it seeing someone said it was shot in just 4 days, quality tends to deminish when you start rushing things which is a shame but also a budget concern.

Good effort though some very nice scenes, I liked the acting one should not set standards too high for movies with tight budgets, the story seems interesting as well.
I would watch it if it came out on Blu Ray or DVD.

Excellent comment John, the sound, it really screams no budget, and sound is the first to suffer in very rushed productions. Sound post is bad as well.

Good effort though, NX1 is quite capable, I tested the low light capabilities of a6300 recently and I started feeling the NXs is starting showing its age, especially for video.

On 9/16/2016 at 4:38 AM, IronFilm said:

Astonishingly "We Are Heros" was shot in just **FOUR** days! :-o

I was just hearing a lot about how V/H/S was shot in about 4 days, and then Joe Swandberg rode the high and shot 6 feature films in a year. sounds like an invaluable skill

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Excellent comment John, the sound, it really screams no budget, and sound is the first to suffer in very rushed productions. Sound post is bad as well.

Good effort though, NX1 is quite capable, I tested the low light capabilities of a6300 recently and I started feeling the NXs is starting showing its age, especially for video.

Low light has never been a strong point for video on nx1. Actually quite a weak point. But the sensor is much more capable that the video shows. In stills iso 3200 (or even better iso 100+5ev) is very ver usable.

On 9/17/2016 at 2:04 PM, Kisaha said:

how is it at 3200 ? All I need is usable 3200 and a speedbooster !

Not even a speedbooster! I used it with the 18-105 4f, and the lens stabilizer was incredible! 6400ISO with confidence. Really impressed and jealous of the low light performance.

I had other issues though.

Very bad ergonomics, in that form factor I really prefer the NX500, and - as it wasn't my camera - I got lost in the menus and took me a while to figure most things out, in between work, and I am still not sure about most things anyway! 2 NX1 batteries - 5 a6300 = that was incredible annoying, and thankfully I had the a6300 as a second camera, because NX1 was full armored with cage and everything, similar a6300 setup would have need more steps to insert battery. I would never trust this camera with the hot Greek weather, it didn't stop recording to me, but the guy given it to me told me that he had problems recently, and he just got it, while the Greek summer is finished, probably New York is much colder though.. anyway, I was super careful and did use it as a second camera and stopped recording, while NX1 was writing 1 hour segments.

All in all, Sony is not there yet, if you shoot small segments and have some control of what is going on, then a6xxx and A7 cameras are alright, for harder use, not at all.

On 9/17/2016 at 6:23 AM, Liam said:

I was just hearing a lot about how V/H/S was shot in about 4 days, and then Joe Swandberg rode the high and shot 6 feature films in a year. sounds like an invaluable skill

I think there is a lot of logic to not do one big feature (which might take years, and has a high risk with you putting all your eggs in one basket) and instead doing a bunch of smaller features in the same year (thus if one or two are a complete flop it is not such a big deal, as one or two others will find some moderate success).