(FT5) First images and full specs of the new Panasonic G80. Has new 12-60mm Leica lens!

Hanriverprod

Leaving apart the stabilization problems, i wanna talk about this camera best settings .

I find that there's not  CineD/CineV in Photo 4K (4:3ratio) for anamorphic people.

So trying to figure out whats the best option, Portrait or Natural, wich WB tweak (like GX80) in order to get best skin tones / pleasant image.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
39 minutes ago, Grimor said:

Leaving apart the stabilization problems, i wanna talk about this camera best settings .

I find that there's not  CineD/CineV in Photo 4K (4:3ratio) for anamorphic people.

So trying to figure out whats the best option, Portrait or Natural, wich WB tweak (like GX80) in order to get best skin tones / pleasant image.

Natural is nice. Maybe with a couple points down in contrast. 

GX8, GX80, G80, then version difference amongst the same model, they really make it easy on themselves... someone else made a good comment the other day. Reviews and exposure are going to suck for Panasonic because there would be a lot of hits on a single name... yet... now it's spread between G80, G81 and G85.

675 US$ would be a damn good deal. My order total was £815.96, which was a tiny bit over €900 back then. Body only here sells for €899, but my order from the UK included the 12-60mm and a Panasonic 64GB card. Plus, because I bought it there within a promotional time frame, I was able to apply for the free battery grip (did that two days ago, for some reason you have to wait atleast 28 days before submitting your claim), let's see if they'll actually send me one. So, not too bad of a deal.

I think the G80 shares the E-M1 Mark II philosophy. It's for the hybrid shooter, but one that doesn't neccessarily need it for cinematic applications (where one would appreciate LOG, anamorphic mode, et cetera), as such they're not paying the premium price of having the GH-flagship model. Think mainly, they just appreciate to have the weather sealing, vari-angle touchscreen, 5-axis body image stabilizer and a mic-in socket, the more practical things. The G7 stepped up sensor performance quite a bit, the GX80 introduced 4K with sensor stabilization. Then they smashed both together and added some whipped cream and a cherry on top. It's currently the best thing Panasonic has to offer, until the GH5 arrives. But word is... the GH5 is going to be priced along the lines of the E-M1 Mark II (€1999; which I actually think is a supercool price (for the GH5, not so much the E-M1 Mark II; they should've just called it the E-M1 Pro already, then we wouldn't perhaps be arguing that the E-M1 successor is way more expensive than the original... but the public might've understood that a pro/premium body to go with pro/premium lenses is just going to have a premium price)). So, overall, the G80 remains attractive for all sorts of reasons.

3 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@Cinegain Since you already ordered the kit lens, please don't read my rant against universal zooms. :( 

Ha. No worries. :tounge_wink: I do enjoy taking stills and a zoomlens is very practical, especially if you're accompanied and nobody wants to wait around for you to figure out the best composition and settings. You know, the Veydra Mini Primes were created with the MFT system in mind and come in the flavors 12, 16, 25, 35 and 50mm (and well, 85mm). So basically, a 12-60mm is like a whole set of nice focal lengths for M43. Image quality isn't terrible, but isn't stellar either. Sensitivity isn't that great. Like you said, it's a compromise. The dual IS2 is killer, though. It was a hundo more with it than without it and indeed, you can always sell it. But it's a new lens in the line-up and I was curious. Though, that's a problem as I'm always curious and I always rather find out myself than read a review by some tech review site I don't know. :lol:

32 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@Cinegain Since you mentioned Veydra, and I was going to bring this up earlier when you mentioned the anamorphic mode in the GH4 - I can't tell you how disappointed I was to learn that they'd dropped plans to build an anamorphic lens. Maybe when the GH5 arrives, they'll have another go at it. 

Yeah, I read about that (1, 2). Well, now SLR Magic did it. And they were going to be sick expensive. So, not really something for me. I need to check FM Lens. I read on Facebook a week or so ago that they were up to something new (>).

Now that I worked for the first time with audio other than just slamming some soundtrack beneath a video, I found out why everybody is so keen on a mic socket :D

I have to agree with @Cinegain, once they fix the G80 stabilisation issues, this might be the perfect travel camera for me - with mic in, weather seeling and the fully tiltable screen. Sure, it is a tad larger than the GX80, so i still would keep it if i have to go really small (and put the pana 20 on it). Now if the oly pro zooms would have IS so we could have Dual IS... that would be just awesome. 

I really think that's something we'll see a lot more of in the future, from Olympus as well. Initially I believe for primes over at Panasonic it was restricted to the Leica ones... now we have the affordable Lumix 30mm f/2.8 Macro OIS and 42.5mm f/1.7 OIS. Especially the importance of hybrid or dual IS is not to be underestimated. Olympus realized that and added IS to the 300mm f/4 PRO. I don't think Panasonic and Olympus will support dual IS for one another... but... atleast there's 5-axis sensor stabilization now.