(FT5) First images and full specs of the new Panasonic G80. Has new 12-60mm Leica lens!

Hanriverprod

Just now, Michael Ma said:

I think the general consensus is that 80D 1080p is sharper than the 70D.  I'm happy with the sharpness.  

Two of my lenses are Mega OIS and none of my lenses have Power OIS.  Supposedly the Power OIS is a lot better and the 12-60mm has it.  So I'm thinking it out right now if I should just buy the G85 in the US because it's basically a free lens with the Kit in the US vs the body only in Korea (although no tax savings or Korean warranty)..  None of my cameras have any IBIS.  G85 would be my frist.

How do you find the mega ois for video? If I pick up the g7 I'm thinking about the wide zoom 7-14mm f4 and the 14-140mm f4-5.6 (the earlier version with mega ois).

I went to the store last week, and they said they were going to sell g85 next week with an extra battery and strap or case (?) wasn't clear on that. He asked if I wanted to be notified because he said they didn't get a lot of bodies at first and thought it will sell out pretty quick.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, Hanriverprod said:

How do you find the mega ois for video? If I pick up the g7 I'm thinking about the wide zoom 7-14mm f4 and the 14-140mm f4-5.6 (the earlier version with mega ois).

I went to the store last week, and they said they were going to sell g85 next week with an extra battery and strap or case (?) wasn't clear on that. He asked if I wanted to be notified because he said they didn't get a lot of bodies at first and thought it will sell out pretty quick.

I think it's OK for photos when you have the camera pressed up against your face.  It's probably meant for small hand tremors.  So with a lot of consideration for holding the camera as steady as possible, you can do some pans and still shots.  Nothing beyond that such as walking with it or trying to pan without monitoring.

The Panasonic store, are you talking about 파나소닉프라자 서비스센터강남점 (near 서초역)?

8 minutes ago, Michael Ma said:

I think it's OK for photos when you have the camera pressed up against your face.  It's probably meant for small hand tremors.  So with a lot of consideration for holding the camera as steady as possible, you can do some pans and still shots.  Nothing beyond that such as walking with it or trying to pan without monitoring.

The Panasonic store, are you talking about 파나소닉프라자 서비스센터강남점 (near 서초역)?

http://koreatechblog.com/panasonic/

"SEOUL Subway Line 2 SeoCho Station Exit 1 and a few minutes walk on the second block to your Right
this is the legal district right across from the court-house, with the second generation of coffee shop branches dotted all-over"

If you go I'd be interested what they say and what you think.

I picked one up today at a Panasonic store in Seoul. They told me that they only received 5 bodies.

Initial impression: not much heavier than the g7 but feels substantial in the hand and not like a plastic toy.

The body stabilization noise can be heard faintly at an arm's distance away. I couldn't hear at the shop but once I brought it home it's noticeable, so I wonder how loud it is compared to other companies ibis since this is my first camera with it.

I got it with 14-140mm mk ii since they are not shipping or even selling the 12-60mm in Korea. The dual is seems great with this lens even at 140mm hand held. Have to do more testing, but I would feel comfortable walking about shooting this zoomed in without a tripod.

I was concerned about the tracking af and it's not as intuitive as canon dpaf which just does it on its own but it seems pretty good once you set it.

Also, the lens is new but when I'm zooming in or out in the middle it seems to catch like gears are slightly rumbling(?). Just at that point it doesn't seem that smooth. Does anyone have any experience with this lens 14-140mm f/3.5-5.6 and know if this is normal?

I'm no camera expert but if anyone has any questions I can try to answer it.

1 hour ago, Thpriest said:

if you attach a mic like the Rode video mic pro does the mic pick up the Ibis noise?

I don't have a mic yet, gonna pick one up this coming week. I can say the internal mic picks up on it and six inches away from your face it's quite noticeable. I doubt it will be a problem with an external mic but if it is I guess an editing program can catch the hissing easily.

Is a videomic pro the mic to get in that price range?

Subject tracking is surprisingly good. The stabilization is impressive.  If they can get a little more aggressive with the roll axis stabilization it'll be a huge improvement.  I think we are about 2 generations away from matching the performance of gimbals.  Still very useful with some warp stabilization. 

There stabilization noise is an issue.  But its not a deal breaker. 

23 minutes ago, Michael Ma said:

Subject tracking is surprisingly good. The stabilization is impressive.  If they can get a little more aggressive with the roll axis stabilization it'll be a huge improvement.  I think we are about 2 generations away from matching the performance of gimbals.  Still very useful with some warp stabilization. 

There stabilization noise is an issue.  But its not a deal breaker. 

would you say it's an improvement over GX85?

6 hours ago, Michael Ma said:

I think we are about 2 generations away from matching the performance of gimbals.  Still very useful with some warp stabilization. 

I believe that very soon it will surpass the performance, it is a lot easier to gyro stabilize an ultra light sensor than a whole heavy camera with lens.

19 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

I don't have a mic yet, gonna pick one up this coming week. I can say the internal mic picks up on it and six inches away from your face it's quite noticeable. I doubt it will be a problem with an external mic but if it is I guess an editing program can catch the hissing easily.

Is a videomic pro the mic to get in that price range?

It shouldn't but you never know until you test it!

Someone tested the Rode VideoMic Pro.  In short, it reduces it but doesn't eliminate it completely.  And in the video, the mic is placed much further away from the body than placed on a hotshoe so maybe it's not even a solution at all.

Adobe Audition, in an update they released a few months ago lets you remove this type of background noise with a click of a button in the multitrack, which seems to work really well and most of the times better than editing the individual track, taking a noise print, etc.

Sound issues are not dissapearing using magic beans. To loose noise, you loose frequencies from elsewhere too, maybe with no specific sound source it is ok, but when you have sound that matters (spoken words let's say, depending the voice, and the octave of the noise) or more complicated and rich sound sources then you have to listen the differences and if it is acceptable or not.

To start with, I would never choose a camera with such a huge problem on audio, or I wouldn't use IBIS, ever.

17 minutes ago, Michael Ma said:

Yeah, it's a bit unfortunate...Just when you thought Panasonic could do no wrong.  Maybe they should slow down.  This dual stabilization system looks unrefined.  Rushed.  I really hope they get the GH5 right.

I wonder what went wrong in production or whats the difference between G80 and GX85/80 as GX85/80 doesn't suffer from this issues!

14 hours ago, Michael Ma said:

Yeah, it's a bit unfortunate...Just when you thought Panasonic could do no wrong.  Maybe they should slow down.  This dual stabilization system looks unrefined.  Rushed.  I really hope they get the GH5 right.

Side by sides with the EM5II/GX85 show Panny hasn't got it quite figured out yet.