(FT5) First images and full specs of the new Panasonic G80. Has new 12-60mm Leica lens!

Hanriverprod

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

In this review:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/138328-panasonic-lumix-g80-review-affordable-foray-into-4k

He writes:

"Video-wise 4K capture can be saved straight to the SD card (in 2:2:2 8-bit), or there are 1080p options to choose from. We've been impressed with the video capabilities - especially when shooting a live band dressed in robotic Daft Punk-style gear (don't ask) - and the ability to use the touchscreen to make focus adjustments with ease. Although you might want to mount the camera for the smoothest results, plus the stabilisation system is limited to electronic adjustment only here - which is an area where the new Olympus E-M1 Mark II ought to exceed this Panasonic's capabilities."

This can't be right can it? Only e-stabilization for video? I don't want to cast stones without using the camera myself, but I wish early reviewers would add clarity to new products and not more confusion.

28 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

This can't be right can it? Only e-stabilization for video? I don't want to cast stones without using the camera myself, but I wish early reviewers would add clarity to new products and not more confusion.

http://eng-ca.faq.panasonic.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39309/kw/39309

"The LUMIX G85 integrates 5-Axis Dual I.S.2 (Image Stabilizer)*, combining 5-axis body and 2-axis lens stabilization for more effective handshake correction and compensation for shots up to 5 f-stops**. The 5-axis stabilization works in both wide and telephoto photography and motion picture recording, including 4K Video.

With the LUMIX G85, a new gyro sensor increases the image stability compensation power of the 5-Axis Body image stabilization to correct hand-shake for all lenses, including classic lenses not equipped with optical image stabilization."

Just put my preorder down for the G85 kit at B&H. Something to hold me over until the GH5.  I got it primarily for the stabilization.  I don't mind carrying my gimbal, but it doesn't work when you don't want to bring attention to yourself such as a wedding when you're a guest, not the hired videographer.  I understand it's not going to provide the same level of stabilization but I think people are getting used to the jerky movements in vlogs where a lot of camera shake during walking has become the norm.  I think I can sell the 12-60mm (unused) lens and the G85 (US import) body separately after 6 months of use and get pretty much all of my money back.  As much excitement there is for this camera, if the GH5 comes out with the same IBIS, this camera will be barely mentioned in this forum after the GH5 is released.  Whereas the GH5 will be talked about for many years after it's release.

On 10/25/2016 at 1:38 AM, TheRenaissanceMan said:

I'm not seeing that massive improvement in rolling shutter Andy was talking about. Seems there's no real improvement in quality from the G7/GX85.

I think there is definitely a difference between GH4/G7 and GX85. 

The colors are much better.

G85 will give you the added value of a better body, a better viewer and better battery options but I do not expect the image quality to be much different from the GX85.

I find the image more or less identical between the G7, GX85, and G85. All are cleaner and have improved colors over the GH4.

I love the body and features of the G85; in fact, I'm considering buying 2 once they're out. I just remembered @andy lee mentioning an improvement in RS and wanted to point out that it hasn't made itself apparent in any of the clips I've seen.

It's in Korea today for 1,007,000 won ($885 us) with extra battery but no battery grip or bundle with 12-60 lens. Kind of disappointing. Trying to decide between this and 80d for bts footage. Gonna go to the panasonic showroom in seoul and check out the autofocus and hear how loud this humming noise.

panning looks weird

1 hour ago, Hanriverprod said:

It's in Korea today for 1,007,000 won ($885 us) with extra battery but no battery grip or bundle with 12-60 lens. Kind of disappointing. Trying to decide between this and 80d for bts footage. Gonna go to the panasonic showroom in seoul and check out the autofocus and hear how loud this humming noise.

panning looks weird

Hi.  Can you tell me where you can buy it for 1,007,000 won?  I don't see it listed in the usual sites like gmarket.  Thanks in advance!.

20 minutes ago, Michael Ma said:

Hi.  Can you tell me where you can buy it for 1,007,000 won?  I don't see it listed in the usual sites like gmarket.  Thanks in advance!.

It's priced on their press release. I think you need to call panasonic store in seoul to reserve a body. Are you in Korea? Are you thinking of buying it without the bundle?

http://www.popco.net/zboard/zboard.php?id=dica_news&no=13609

14 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

It's priced on their press release. I think you need to call panasonic store in seoul to reserve a body. Are you in Korea? Are you thinking of buying it without the bundle?

Yeah, I live in Korea, but I'm gonna be in the US in a week.  I have the G85 Kit preordered from B&H, however, I don't really want the lens.  I only bought the kit hoping to sell the lens because it is a very good deal if you can sell it for $300 on ebay.  But considering I can claim this as a business expense in Korea (not in the US), it's about the same deal without having to ebay anything.  But it looks like the website has upped it's price about 72,000 KRW?  Can you give a quick look to see if I'm seeing it right?

One last question, where is the Panasonic Korea store roughly?

As for your question about G85 or the 80D, I have a 80D with a few STM lenses.  Honestly though, I keep going back to my Panasonic because I have better glass and almost all panasonic glass doesn't have any focus noise.  Also the battery life on the 80D isn't that great.  Less than half of the Panasonics.  Also the 30 min recording limit.  I think most of my decisions are based on the lens I want to shoot with.  Canon has much better skin color though.  The Panasonic colors always never 100% satisfactory, even after correction and grading.

15 minutes ago, Michael Ma said:

Yeah, I live in Korea, but I'm gonna be in the US in a week.  I have the G85 Kit preordered from B&H, however, I don't really want the lens.  I only bought the kit hoping to sell the lens because it is a very good deal if you can sell it for $300 on ebay.  But considering I can claim this as a business expense in Korea (not in the US), it's about the same deal without having to ebay anything.  But it looks like the website has upped it's price about 72,000 KRW?  Can you give a quick look to see if I'm seeing it right?

One last question, where is the Panasonic Korea store roughly?

As for your question about G85 or the 80D, I have a 80D with a few STM lenses.  Honestly though, I keep going back to my Panasonic because I have better glass and almost all panasonic glass doesn't have any focus noise.  Also the battery life on the 80D isn't that great.  Less than half of the Panasonics.  Also the 30 min recording limit.  I think most of my decisions are based on the lens I want to shoot with.  Canon has much better skin color though.  The Panasonic colors always never 100% satisfactory, even after correction and grading.

I did a typo, 1,079,000원 is right. If autofocus is not improved from g7 I'm tempted to just pick that instead and use panasonic stabilized lenses. The canon 80d dpaf is nice but what's the point if the 1080 overall is soft? What do you think about panny lens ois vs their new cameras' ibis?

You can go to their showroom in Subway Line 2 SeoCho Station Exit 1 and try a bunch of lenses on different bodies. If you bring your own sd card, they let you record your tests.

50 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

I think the general consensus is that 80D 1080p is sharper than the 70D.  I'm happy with the sharpness.  

Two of my lenses are Mega OIS and none of my lenses have Power OIS.  Supposedly the Power OIS is a lot better and the 12-60mm has it.  So I'm thinking it out right now if I should just buy the G85 in the US because it's basically a free lens with the Kit in the US vs the body only in Korea (although no tax savings or Korean warranty).  None of my cameras have any IBIS.  G85 would be my frist.