(FT5) First images and full specs of the new Panasonic G80. Has new 12-60mm Leica lens!

Hanriverprod

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That is a result of the 5-axis stabilization. Whether it's Panasonic or Olympus, it's kind of unavoidable and present to a certain degree on all these cameras. The FZ1000 for example is like really really loud, I think (even when switched off, as otherwise gravity would have it's way with the freely moving elements when they're not supposed to move at all). It's not thát bad on these cameras, but the built-in mic does pick it up ever so slightly (you won't actually hear it recording something on the streets of a busy city, but you will when shooting a test in a silent closed off room). Then again, I'll hardly just solely use the audio from the video. And if you do, use a suspended directional mic as with the G80/G85 you now have a mic jack, anyways.

2 hours ago, Grimor said:

@Samin link?

In Panasonic G7/G80 group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PanasonicG7/permalink/1177413402320095/

1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

That is a result of the 5-axis stabilization. Whether it's Panasonic or Olympus, it's kind of unavoidable and present to a certain degree on all these cameras. The FZ1000 for example is like really really loud, I think (even when switched off, as otherwise gravity would have it's way with the freely moving elements when they're not supposed to move at all). It's not thát bad on these cameras, but the built-in mic does pick it up ever so slightly (you won't actually hear it recording something on the streets of a busy city, but you will when shooting a test in a silent closed off room). Then again, I'll hardly just solely use the audio from the video. And if you do, use a suspended directional mic as with the G80/G85 you now have a mic jack, anyways.

Well I do agree, after all I'm planning to get a proper audio recorder to be able to monitor the audio live. but I just want to make sure that we don't have some faulty first batch units out there!

Yes, but again, this is not something new or unique to the G80/81/85. If you've ever shot with a lens (like the 14-140mm OIS for example) or body with built-in stabilization (or a compact like the LX100 as well), you might have already noticed this (but probably not if you're used to having the camera/lens out in normal conditions and not putting your ear up against/close to the camera in a serene quiet room). Reasons as discussed above.

Of course if there's really no sound to be heard, the only sound that remains is ambient room tone and that of the camera itself (especially if the (auto)gain is increased to pick 'something' up). And that's most case scenarios when some folks get this in the mail, unbox it and have a little fiddle with it without anyone home or an appliance running (tv, radio, disher, etc) in the background keeping them from noticing the slight hum.

Unless you're a sound proofed studio shooter though or mainly shoot room interviews, I can't really see how this harshly impacts anything. In a real world environment this is hardly an issue, is easily filtered out and layered on top of in post and/or could be worked around, maybe ideally not with a unsuspended omnidirectional mic, but a suspended directional mic should make a world of difference to those who are still critical of it. As for shooting interviews in pretty much noise-free environments... sure, it's convenient to use in-camera audio with a mic on the hotshoe, but also consider using a lav, or some other solution where the mic is closer to the person being interviewed, that's the best method anyways. I wouldn't sweat it.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the ibis works with lenses like sigma 18-35. The shakey nature of gh4 always put me off it for handheld work, but if something like the sigma can be used handheld with the g80 for the cost it would be a great option. 

10 hours ago, Jpr said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the ibis works with lenses like sigma 18-35. The shakey nature of gh4 always put me off it for handheld work, but if something like the sigma can be used handheld with the g80 for the cost it would be a great option. 

Presumably the IBIS on the G80/85 is similar to the one on the GX80/85 and there it works great. 

Here is an example of using a handheld manual 135mm lens (100mm after focal reduction) using IBIS only and no post image stabilization:

However the Sigma may be a problem, I tried to use the Sigma 50-100mm F 1.8 but the Metabones Speed Booster seems to disable IBIS.

33 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@Cary Did you try the Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 lens on the Mitakon?

Yes I did!

I have both the Metabones and the Mitakon. 

With the Sigma on the Mitakon IBIS works fine, but on the Metabones it does not work.  

It should be easy to fix this with a firmware update.  Conceivably Metabones does not understand the varifocal protocol to IBIS but then just have it pass through and have the user ask for a fixed focal length for IBIS to operate on as is the case with a fully manual lens.

1 minute ago, Cary Knoop said:

I have both the Metabones and the Mitakon. 

With the Sigma on the Mitakon IBIS works fine, but on the Metabones it does not work.  

This isn't good news at all. I did a search on YouTube and was only able to find one clip a few seconds long where someone actually used the Sigma 18-35mm f/2.8 with the GX80. I did a search over at DPreview, but it's so difficult navigating their site, I gave up.

I think Panasonic could/should change the focussing for video. In photo mode a little focus wiggle at the end is fine. But for video I think with the DFD they should skip the focus confirmation rocking. This is so distracting. Without this confirmation focus racking at the end I think with DFD the camera would be most of the time in focus. If it is not in focus the continues DFD AF 's second metering should be bang on because the focus is already close to where it needs to be. This all I think is a matter of software/ firmware, or am I thinking to simply?