(FT5) First images and full specs of the new Panasonic G80. Has new 12-60mm Leica lens!

Hanriverprod

I see it's 'In stock' at places as well. Though, rather than picking one up in town, looks like it would pay off to order from e.g. CVP (savings roughly 110~120 EUR; excl. shipping).

Anyone who bought and played around with it yet? I guess it makes sense to sell off the G7 and GX80 now... the GX80 form factor is way nice, with the compact zoom comparable to the LX100, but I guess having the best of both is worth trading in the small size for. Is that Lumix 12-60mm any good (I'm thinking about having something for the 5-Axis DUAL I.S 2)? 14-140mm the same as bundled with the GH4?

-- another benefit ordering one from the UK, a G80 promotional free battery grip*:

(*Purchase Period: 19/09/2016 - 31/10/2016. Applicable to residents of the EEA, EU, Switzerland, Channel Islands and Isle of Man who are aged 18 years or over)

YkVqTjA.jpg

EOWjEP6.jpgtdkj4zU.jpgSNwNdzt.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 9-10-2016 at 9:53 AM, Hanriverprod said:

[..] ibis legacy telephoto tests

Drop a smidgen of warp stabilizer on top and you're good to go, I'd say. This is the best thing in their current line-up (unless you're more geared towards photography, then the GX8 has some features that might make that one more interesting). Of course, the GH4 has its use and the GH5 is going one step further yet, if not an entire leap and both bring those video production qualities to the table. But the GH5 is going to be double the price and take another half a year...

Don't get why hardly anybody seems excited about this one. Everybody seems to either drop specs for the ease of use of the Canon (dualpixel AF & color) or actually go for the more exciting specs (Sony) and 'just deal with it'. Unless they're going more pro/expensive (Blackmagic, Sony F, etc) or for the stills side of things (1DXII, D750, X-T2, etc) or clinging onto something older that's being looked after (NX1 hacks, ML with the 5DmkIII). Everybody was pretty serious about using a GH2, GH3, GX7, G6, GH4, G7... I guess the landscape has changed. In the beginning it was just the 5DmkII, T2i/550D and GH2, which naturally evolved. But where does that leave Panasonic in the current market? Is its major target now people entering the video segment, rather than those who are already? People on a budget? Aren't there more people who just like to shoot video and like the possibility of just having something really basic and compact to carry around? Is bigger better? I know there's still a few who like the M4/3 system and give Panasonic some love for what they do... but it feels like it's getting slowly getting less, even though their cameras do keep improving.

29 minutes ago, Grimor said:

@Cinegain did you by it yet?

I have preordered mine in a local store, but don't know about the ETA .

Of course. I'm a sucker for good deals. :grin::blush: But I see no more reason to keep the G7 and GX80 around, when this is here! Honestly. They've overcome their individual weaknesses by joining them together and then added some stuff on top of it (like weather sealing and HDMI output whilst recording to SD to name two).

jKMQnff.png

Sounds like it will be here in time for my trip to New York next week! Went with UK Digital. They threw in an additional 64GB card to sweeten the deal even more. And actually they were the ones to make me aware of the battery grip deal and the first ones outside of mainland Europe to actually have stock. So they kinda deserved me picking them.

CGCe9ZG.png

Currently out of stock though. Maybe people got some love for it after all. Then again! For us mainlanders... if we order from the UK, we're getting the G80 with 12-60mm, 64GB card and battery grip (at 815.96 GBP/902.34 EUR) for the price of the camera body only over here (812.93 GBP/899 EUR)! That's huge savings! And the 12-60mm, 64GB and battery grip alone are valued a theoretical 369+79.90+249=697.90 GBP/771.78 EUR. So I think for good reasons they suddenly have an increased taking market there... ;)

14 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Of course. I'm a sucker for good deals. :grin::blush: But I see no more reason to keep the G7 and GX80 around, when this is here! Honestly. They've overcome their individual weaknesses by joining them together and then added some stuff on top of it (like weather sealing and HDMI output whilst recording to SD to name two).

Sounds like it will be here in time for my trip to New York next week! Went with UK Digital. They threw in an additional 64GB card to sweeten the deal even more. And actually they were the ones to make me aware of the battery grip deal and the first ones outside of mainland Europe to actually have stock. So they kinda deserved me picking them.

CGCe9ZG.png

Currently out of stock though. Maybe people got some love for it after all. Then again! For us mainlanders... if we order from the UK, we're getting the G80 with 12-60mm, 64GB card and battery grip (at 815.96 GBP/902.34 EUR) for the price of the camera body only over here (812.93 GBP/899 EUR)! That's huge savings! And the 12-60mm, 64GB and battery grip alone are valued a theoretical 369+79.90+249=697.90 GBP/771.78 EUR. So I think for good reasons they suddenly have an increased taking market there... ;)

Wow. That sounds like such a great deal! I'm waiting to see how they sell it here in South Korea. I'm thinking about picking one up for bts footage.

27 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

Wow. That sounds like such a great deal! I'm waiting to see how they sell it here in South Korea. I'm thinking about picking one up for bts footage.

Hope they have some promotions going on there as well then! If you don't need the super smoothest AF and h/p jack, I think it will fare fine for that. ;)

I'll probably go try out that 12-60mm. Am expecting pretty mediocre typical M43 system budget kitlens quality. But the OIS means I can have a go at that dual IS 2! I'm thinking for the trip of pairing it up with my Lumix 25mm f/1.7 and 42.5mm f/1.7 (OIS) for the shallow depth of field and lowlight. Think that's the beauty of the system. One versatile camera, tons of features, 3 small lenses in a shoulder bag or regular backpack and it doesn't make the trip an event (like that one guy that said about the Mavic Pro VS Phantom 4, to him, taking out the Phantom 4 felt like 'an event'... hassle, well a fullframe camera with a couple of big lenses and a tripod would be that for me... which I wouldn't neccessarily mind in Iceland, but I'd sure mind in a place like New York).

20 minutes ago, Grimor said:

The official prices in Spain are 999 euros with 12-60 and 1299 with 14-140.

And the free battery grip are only for the 100 first preorders.

Yeah, same here on the prices for EU mainland:

On 7-10-2016 at 6:00 PM, Cinegain said:

I see it's 'In stock' at places as well. Though, rather than picking one up in town, looks like it would pay off to order from e.g. CVP (savings roughly 110~120 EUR; excl. shipping).

I always check Geizhals.eu for EU wide pricing in a couple of countries (AT/DE/PL/UK). That's where I noticed you're looking at body only or kit prices, they're about 110~120 EUR cheaper in the UK for the exact same thing (well minus the 'G81' that is a 'G80' there, 'G81' sounds silly anyways). What blew my mind was to get all the extras from the UK at body only EU price. And in the DE/AT area there's no promotions going on as far as I could tell, not even for the first 100 claimers. So for me... it was pretty obvious what to do here.

6 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Saw it yesterday. Didn't find it that impressive tbh. But it looked more like a tourist cutting some camera clips together, rather than someone that knows their video. Though, just regarding the Dual IS 2. That actually did look pretty good.

footage is meh but it's hard to tell what their settings are also at what res they shot it on but the ibis does look good. I wonder what if any improvement there is on autofocus and iso with g7, gx85.

12 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

footage is meh but it's hard to tell what their settings are also at what res they shot it on but the ibis does look good. I wonder what if any improvement there is on autofocus and iso with g7, gx85.

True. Don't think there's any major improvements... I suppose it will be roughly exactly the same as the GX85? Which... I think is fine, if you're used to the image coming from the GH4. It means better noise control and just an overall tweaked image. You can actually use it at ISO1600. Noise will creep into the dark end of the midtones (rather than blacks). Little noise reduction in post will take care of that (add some grain for definition). Might add a tiny bit of warp stabilizer to smooth out some of the movement a little more where needed. What really sets it apart is the whole feature set. The G7 and GX85 didn't 'have it all', there were some things that were kind of a letdown. But by putting the best of both together and adding some on top... this is a really cool camera for people who want a great hybrid camera, but don't exactly need (or want to pay for) the more advanced features found on the GH4/GH5. Now... I've said it before... the Olympus E-M1 Mark II looks like it might be the absolute king of hybrid cameras. But it will come at a price... and we've known and been using Panasonic for their solid and familiar video performance... we're not sure how the Olympus will turn out. If anything, and you'll be going for the GH5 later on, this will make the best B cam.

12 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

True. Don't think there's any major improvements... I suppose it will be roughly exactly the same as the GX85? Which... I think is fine, if you're used to the image coming from the GH4. It means better noise control and just an overall tweaked image. You can actually use it at ISO1600. Noise will creep into the dark end of the midtones (rather than blacks). Little noise reduction in post will take care of that (add some grain for definition). Might add a tiny bit of warp stabilizer to smooth out some of the movement a little more where needed. What really sets it apart is the whole feature set. The G7 and GX85 didn't 'have it all', there were some things that were kind of a letdown. But by putting the best of both together and adding some on top... this is a really cool camera for people who want a great hybrid camera, but don't exactly need (or want to pay for) the more advanced features found on the GH4/GH5. Now... I've said it before... the Olympus E-M1 Mark II looks like it might be the absolute king of hybrid cameras. But it will come at a price... and we've known and been using Panasonic for their solid and familiar video performance... we're not sure how the Olympus will turn out. If anything, and you'll be going for the GH5 later on, this will make the best B cam.

Yeah if I pick this up then it will be my first m43 body, so thinking of picking up some lenses and then the gh5. I thought the g7 images at first were not great too but then they got much better and I really like the size of this system after handling them next to canons and nikons. I just wish the af was better.

8 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

Yeah if I pick this up then it will be my first m43 body, so thinking of picking up some lenses and then the gh5. I thought the g7 images at first were not great too but then they got much better and I really like the size of this system after handling them next to canons and nikons. I just wish the af was better.

Yeah, AF is an issue with anything other than Canon dualpixel AF. Then again, acknowledge that and either buy a Canon or use the Panasonic camera in AF-S and MF mode only. I never found it a huge deal. But yeah, it would be convenient, I won't deny that. The all new Olympus flagship might hold some surprises there, we'll have to wait and see. If you know where the camera excels and where it's weak... you can make the most out of it. You see it with guys like Albert Fast (shame I haven't seen him on the forum for a while, he does great stuff). Use the right profiles and settings, the right glass (!), know about good composition, what makes a great and interesting shot... and edit it together well. Then again, as they say... might have more to do with who's behind the camera, rather than what's in front of it!

I didn't see this posted here yet. If it was, my apologies.

"With the LUMIX G85, a new gyro sensor"

So, does that mean it's a different gyro than the one in GX85? Just curious.

Instructional Video - How to use 3rd Party lens with the Advanced Dual I.S 2 Stabilization on the LUMIX DMC-GX85

http://eng-ca.faq.panasonic.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39309/kw/39309

On 10-10-2016 at 0:01 AM, Cinegain said:

...This is the best thing in their current line-up (unless you're more geared towards photography, then the GX8 has some features that might make that one more interesting). Of course, the GH4 has its use and the GH5 is going one step further yet, if not an entire leap and both bring those video production qualities to the table. But the GH5 is going to be double the price and take another half a year... Don't get why hardly anybody seems excited about this one. Everybody seems to either drop specs for the ease of use of the Canon (dualpixel AF & color) or actually go for the more exciting specs (Sony) and 'just deal with it'.

Same here. The G7 was well regarded for budget-minded shooters. Look at what is improved: sensor stabilisation, weather sealing, clean HDMI out during internal recording, reportedly fixed shutter shock in photography and more. And all this for under 1K with great deals especially in UK. This camera deserves to be a hit. Not in the least to push manufacturer 's competition further (M5, anyone?).

True that! Just alone having the SD-slot moved from being co-located at the battery compartment to a dedicated one on the right of the camera! Just makes life so much easier. Too bad the mic-jack has been moved from the up-ish region (G7) to the side below one of the main seal flaps, that kind of puts any plug in the way of the screen (tilting). I guess, if that's the only real thing wrong with it, it's still cool! Saw on a 43rumors article someone saying he doesn't care about the E-M1 Mark II anymore, he is so in love with the G80 that he's getting a 2nd one. :yum: We'll see about that! Gotta get this party on the road first.

9 minutes ago, BucksterUK said:

considering the title of your link ...... :) ! I guess it kinda answers it

Instructional Video - How to use 3rd Party lens with the Advanced Dual I.S 2 Stabilization on the LUMIX DMC-GX85

http://eng-ca.faq.panasonic.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39309/kw/39309

Oh gosh, how did I miss that.... it's been a long day. Thank you.