Differences between software video players

Fly-Catchers

When I play back either native MTS films or edited (through Premiere Elements) through different software players I get different issues.

Windows Media Player while looks quite good sometimes gives a lighting or darkening of the image as if the exposure on the shot is changing. This looks a bit like flicker and is quite subtle but annoying. The exposure is manual on the camera and is not adjusting and this effect only occurs through WMP.

VLC gives good results but sometimes drops frames or you get a glitchy start to the video.

PowerDVD 10 overall gives the best results with most stable colours and exposure and few glitches. It does not however like 50p 720p recordings out of the camera at all. They are blocky full of flashing artifacts. Yet once I have resaved the file as a 50p 720p recording through PE it plays it fine!! The other two players play the native 50p 720p far better.

What is causing all these differences and what players do you use?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

VLC has become my go-to player, since you can lock in your aspect ratio, etc.  I do sometimes get glitchy playback at the beginning of a clip but I have my player default to looping a clip so that I can ensure it's a quirky playback issue and not in the footage.  Only the first play ever shows any issues, if this occurs.

When I play back either native MTS films or edited (through Premiere Elements) through different software players I get different issues.

Windows Media Player while looks quite good sometimes gives a lighting or darkening of the image as if the exposure on the shot is changing. This looks a bit like flicker and is quite subtle but annoying. The exposure is manual on the camera and is not adjusting and this effect only occurs through WMP.

VLC gives good results but sometimes drops frames or you get a glitchy start to the video.

PowerDVD 10 overall gives the best results with most stable colours and exposure and few glitches. It does not however like 50p 720p recordings out of the camera at all. They are blocky full of flashing artifacts. Yet once I have resaved the file as a 50p 720p recording through PE it plays it fine!! The other two players play the native 50p 720p far better.

What is causing all these differences and what players do you use?

Excellent question.  You're not alone.  Quicktime, Windows, VLC, etc.  give different playback look (gamma shifts).  I usually use VLC or Windows.