Panasonic announces 4K 120fps RAW

wolf33d

Amazing tech. 

The reason why Canon can't give us anything in their DSLR is because they have to protect their cine line. 

Here is the catch. There cine line is full of shit spec wise so to protect shit specs you have to release even shitier specs.

Panasonic brings 4K 120fps RAW to their cine line. So no matter how amazing the GH5 will be they won't impact the lines above.

This is half a joke but not so far from the truth I am afraid..

https://***URL not allowed***/panasonic-announces-varicam-pure-with-uncompressed-4k-120-fps/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Amazing tech. 

The reason why Canon can't give us anything in their DSLR is because they have to protect their cine line. 

Here is the catch. There cine line is full of shit spec wise so to protect shit specs you have to release even shitier specs.

Panasonic brings 4K 120fps RAW to their cine line. So no matter how amazing the GH5 will be they won't impact the lines above.

This is half a joke but not so far from the truth I am afraid..

https://***URL not allowed***/panasonic-announces-varicam-pure-with-uncompressed-4k-120-fps/

Canon has announced the C700 using a very similar (I would bet internally exactly the same) Codex recorder doing 4k 120fps RAW at the same time as Panasonic   (actually a few days before) .... Basically both cameras use the same recorder from Codex. So no special amazing tech here from Panasonic

Why does Canon always get a mention? :grin:

Sony have been able to do 4K/120p Raw for years via the FS700, yet they still churn out crappy 8 bit 4:2:0 in their DSLR/Mirrorless range. Nikon don't even have a high end, yet still also churn out 8bit 4:2:0

If Panasonic push the boundaries of the GH5, it is because they are aggressive in that sub sector, not because of some $20k codex recording camera.

All these companies should understand that they could make amazing DSLR video and alot of people would still buy their pro range for the NDs, XLRs, Ergonomics etc (and also buy a few of the DSLRs for B/C cams)

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Sony have been able to do 4K/120p Raw for years via the FS700, yet they still churn out crappy 8 bit 4:2:0 in their DSLR/Mirrorless range. Nikon don't even have a high end, yet still also churn out 8bit 4:2:0

If Panasonic push the boundaries of the GH5, it is because they are aggressive in that sub sector, not because of some $20k codex recording camera.

All these companies should understand that they could make amazing DSLR video and alot of people would still buy their pro range for the NDs, XLRs, Ergonomics etc (and also buy a few of the DSLRs for B/C cams)

If Panasomic pushes the boundaries with the GH5, it's because they have no other choice but to. They relinquished their #3 spot in mirrorless market share to Canon last year. They need to either be bold, or make microwaves. 

37 minutes ago, mercer said:

If Panasomic pushes the boundaries with the GH5, it's because they have no other choice but to. They relinquished their #3 spot in mirrorless market share to Canon last year. They need to either be bold, or make microwaves. 

Agreed, with so many cameras to choose for and even olympus entering 4k and rumors of better AF, Pana is getting less love. Onwards and upwards, 4k 60p, better low light, better AF, IBIS. If they don't do it, somebody will with a FF, APSC or M43 sensor will... Varicam is high end but doesn't mean that kind of stuff can trickle at some form down. And please, use the freaking grip to record backup.

39 minutes ago, Ivanhurba said:

Agreed, with so many cameras to choose for and even olympus entering 4k and rumors of better AF, Pana is getting less love. Onwards and upwards, 4k 60p, better low light, better AF, IBIS. If they don't do it, somebody will with a FF, APSC or M43 sensor will... Varicam is high end but doesn't mean that kind of stuff can trickle at some form down. And please, use the freaking grip to record backup.

Yup. Olympus was beating Panasonic before it had 4K video. Now, why stay with Panasonic? But I would love to see some Raw video trickle down into any of the brands feature set. Just give me 1080p 24p Raw and I'll sell off all my lenses, buy the 12-35mm 2.8 and be done.

I know Raw video is for a niche market, but I can't believe how the majors just allow BM to monopolize it. If Panasonic was bold enough to put 1080p raw video in one of their consumer/prosumer cameras, half of BM users would probably switch over in a millisecond.

I think it would be a much more valuable feature than 6K video at this point. I can just imagine the commercials... Little Billy's birthday party with the depth and clarity of a motion picture. Billy cuts into the cake with his bare hands. Everyone laughs. Voice over... "Life's raw moments deserve raw video."

It would be cool but it won't happen. 

1 hour ago, mercer said:

I can just imagine the commercials... Little Billy's birthday party with the depth and clarity of a motion picture. Billy cuts into the cake with his bare hands. Everyone laughs. Voice over... "Life's raw moments deserve raw video."

Great pitch! Would be even cooler, if they make it happen and give you big bucks for the slogan!:) Every Eoshd fan would show their appreciation of this by a purchase of that new, beautiful GH5. I certainly would!

Honestly, if I worked for Panasonic I would lobby for an LX100 style camera with a built in fast lens with 4K, Raw 1080p, Mic input and 5-Axis. Keep it as simple as possible with buttons, controls and menu options. Then also include the Raw in the GH5 up to 60p and all the other prosumer bells and whistles. 

9 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Great pitch! Would be even cooler, if they make it happen and give you big bucks for the slogan!:) Every Eoshd fan would show their appreciation of this by a purchase of that new, beautiful GH5. I certainly would!

I want the camera now.

You know what, I can see somebody nicking that - might want to copyright that catchphrase. There are millions of ways that slogan can be used; not unlike "If Carlsberg did...."

8 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I'm sure all of the camera companies can do 4K RAW in all sorts of output modes. That is not the problem. The problem is storing the output. If it has to be encoded first then the processor will choke at a certain point (which is why most cameras have limitations on the quality of their output), but with RAW that will not happen. Then it becomes a question of how do you store so much data fast enough, that is the limitation for RAW output.

5 hours ago, mercer said:

Yup. Olympus was beating Panasonic before it had 4K video. Now, why stay with Panasonic? But I would love to see some Raw video trickle down into any of the brands feature set. Just give me 1080p 24p Raw and I'll sell off all my lenses, buy the 12-35mm 2.8 and be done.

I know Raw video is for a niche market, but I can't believe how the majors just allow BM to monopolize it. If Panasonic was bold enough to put 1080p raw video in one of their consumer/prosumer cameras, half of BM users would probably switch over in a millisecond.

I think it would be a much more valuable feature than 6K video at this point. I can just imagine the commercials... Little Billy's birthday party with the depth and clarity of a motion picture. Billy cuts into the cake with his bare hands. Everyone laughs. Voice over... "Life's raw moments deserve raw video."

RAW is overkill in the consumer market (even the vast majority of the professional market). Even treasured things like 10 bit or 4:2:2 are not necessary, because for most applications it has little or no impact on the appearance of the footage and how it is used. On the flip side RAW has considerable resource requirements and presents handling issues for non-expert users who have neither the time nor inclination to muck around with the nuances that are required to make it look even semi decent.