GH3 vs G7

Eduardo Granadsztejn

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have both camera's. I shoot mainly weddings and I own a GH3, a G6 and a G7. My collegue uses the GH4.

Which camera is 'better'? Well, in terms of IQ the G7 has the edge simply because of the 4k mode. In 1080p mode, they are (all) pretty similar though. Maybe a slight edge to the G7 in low light being a bit less noisy at ISO 1600 and above. Nothing striking. Just make sure you never have to go higher than that.

But there are many more factors which make a camera good or bad. The GH3 is still my main cam. Why?

- Much longer battery life then G6 / G7
- The abillity to use an EXTERNAL MONITOR (G6 / G7 cannot)
- Body handling
- Headphone jack (G6 / G7 do not have it)

For me, these are of the upmost important. As well as reliability. The GH3 has not let me down once since I've got it over 3 years ago. Never overheats and never fucks up. *knocks on wood

And the image actually still strikes me every time I use it. Yes, it is time for something new and maybe the GH5 will be it. But until then, this is my A-cam. 
Here is an example of what it can do :)

9 minutes ago, Stab said:

I have both camera's. I shoot mainly weddings and I own a GH3, a G6 and a G7. My collegue uses the GH4.

Which camera is 'better'? Well, in terms of IQ the G7 has the edge simply because of the 4k mode. In 1080p mode, they are (all) pretty similar though. Maybe a slight edge to the G7 in low light being a bit less noisy at ISO 1600 and above. Nothing striking. Just make sure you never have to go higher than that.

But there are many more factors which make a camera good or bad. The GH3 is still my main cam. Why?

- Much longer battery life then G6 / G7
- The abillity to use an EXTERNAL MONITOR (G6 / G7 cannot)
- Body handling
- Headphone jack (G6 / G7 do not have it)

For me, these are of the upmost important. As well as reliability. The GH3 has not let me down once since I've got it over 3 years ago. Never overheats and never fucks up. *knocks on wood

And the image actually still strikes me every time I use it. Yes, it is time for something new and maybe the GH5 will be it. But until then, this is my A-cam. 
Here is an example of what it can do :)

Wow, what a great example of what the GH3 can do in the right hands! Truly excellent work. If you don't mind sharing, what lenses and settings did you use in this video?