Canon 5d Mark IV Video

Hanriverprod

19 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

Some of that autofocus at night wide open when it catches is impressive. That video looks like hyper reality almost cgi like. Can't tell how i feel about. It's alluring but strange. 

Most of that video was out of focus though. The camera was really struggling to keep up.

The footage looks relatively soft on a 1440p monitor as well, so it is not that great.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
31 minutes ago, tugela said:

Most of that video was out of focus though. The camera was really struggling to keep up.

The footage looks relatively soft on a 1440p monitor as well, so it is not that great.

You think? Besides the orange tinted close-ups that might be 1080 slo-mo, really soft and out of focus I'm assuming because it's night, the 4k stuff looks pretty good for handheld and both the single operator and subject moving. Erratic shots this wide open at night is going to challenge any focus puller. How are you going to set marks for this kind of shooting? For this style, it looks pretty good to me. I imagine with more conventional shots with set marks for blocking the autofocus will do pretty good. I'm going to rent a 1dx ii and try it out.

1 minute ago, Hanriverprod said:

You think? Besides the orange tinted close-ups that might be 1080 slo-mo, really soft and out of focus I'm assuming because it's night, the 4k stuff looks pretty good for handheld and both the single operator and subject moving. Erratic shots this wide open at night is going to challenge any focus puller. How are you going to set marks for this kind of shooting? For this style, it looks pretty good to me. I imagine with more conventional shots with set marks for blocking the autofocus will do pretty good. I'm going to rent a 1dx ii and try it out.

Well, we have been told that DPAF is superfast at focusing and stays on target like glue. Apparently that is not the case, at least in the video above.

The daylight shots were soft as well, not only the low light ones.

5 minutes ago, tugela said:

Well, we have been told that DPAF is superfast at focusing and stays on target like glue. Apparently that is not the case, at least in the video above.

The daylight shots were soft as well, not only the low light ones.

I've gone through 30 takes with a dp and a good 1st AC focus puller keeping focus of an actress medium close-up walking straight at an even pace at night. I don't know if this dpaf could've done any better in a controlled situation like that but remember even with a good focus puller and actors who know their marks, a lot of takes, they are moving out or into focus when it's wide open. I think this looks pretty good for two people running around at night, but yes everything could be better!

Also, a lot of those shots are usable as long as there's movement and some focus and there's no focus hunting. It makes it more natural.

Serious jello going on in that dog video.  Sure do love the Canon colors though..they still have that nailed.

As an A7R2 owner I was surprised how bad it looked in the Northrup comparison video.  Definitely agree with the earlier poster about the Canon having much higher noise but a much less compression artifacts.  Just check out Tony's face on the A7R2 compared to the Canon. (Gotta remember to switch to S35 for any high ISO work).

Guess that lack of inter-frame compression on MJPEG isn't just pure file size bloat, it does reduce compression artifacts.  Of course if any camera could compress H264 at 500Mbps I'm sure it would look just as good.  Given that you can't though it does give the 5DMkIV's high-ISO performance something beneficial.

TonyNorthrup2_crop.png

Dutch? German (Deutsch; 'aus Berlin'). ;) Luckily I know both. He says the AF as well 'important' as it is 'convincing' and 'impressive'. He doesn't really like the quick AF, but thinks it probably has its use in some scenarios. He indeed mentions that one shot when she's moving towards the camera that usually would require a focuspuller and now the camera can handle a shot like that by itself.

14 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Dutch? German (Deutsch; 'aus Berlin'). ;) Luckily I know both. He says the AF as well 'important' as it is 'convincing' and 'impressive'. He doesn't really like the quick AF, but thinks it probably has its use in some scenarios. He indeed mentions that one shot when she's moving towards the camera that usually would require a focuspuller and now the camera can handle a shot like that by itself.

Yeah going med to med tight on actor at night doing shoulder mount for that cinema-verite look and even with a good focus puller is doable but tough. Really wish this camera had better video features with that dpaf! Oh well, thanks for translation.

If they really are thinking about more serious mirrorless cameras and don't see them as much of a threat to higher end cameras, but competing against the other mirrorless market products, then it could get interesting. The EOS-M M5 is almost there, but not quite yet. But I guess that goes for every camera they release, lol. :grimace:

On 9/10/2016 at 6:44 PM, tellure said:

Serious jello going on in that dog video.  Sure do love the Canon colors though..they still have that nailed.

As an A7R2 owner I was surprised how bad it looked in the Northrup comparison video.  Definitely agree with the earlier poster about the Canon having much higher noise but a much less compression artifacts.  Just check out Tony's face on the A7R2 compared to the Canon. (Gotta remember to switch to S35 for any high ISO work).

Guess that lack of inter-frame compression on MJPEG isn't just pure file size bloat, it does reduce compression artifacts.  Of course if any camera could compress H264 at 500Mbps I'm sure it would look just as good.  Given that you can't though it does give the 5DMkIV's high-ISO performance something beneficial.

TonyNorthrup2_crop.png

He screwed up and shot in FF mode. They even acknowledge it at the end of the video. They should have re-shot it.

5 hours ago, Nikkor said:

What I don't understand is why they didn't make a "crappy" Fullframe mode. I mean, the 5Dr turns 50mp into 1080p, they could have turned 30mp into 4K the same way, or the way the 5dmkiii does 1080p.

Because it would have been beyond the capabilities of the processor within what they consider an acceptable thermal envelope.

They did it for technical reasons, not to screw you over.