New Tokina Cinema Primes Announced at IBC 2016

IronFilm

Why the hell would they make these for MFT but ***NOT*** make the mount be swappable by the user?? It boggles the mind.

On the upside however we're now seeing a glorious explosion of options in PL lenses on the "affordable" end (although the Tokina lens is surprisingly expensive for its brand name).

http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/09/08/ibc-2016-tokina-35mm-50mm-85mm-t1-5-cinema-prime-16-28mm-ii-t3-lenses/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
23 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Why the hell would they make these for MFT but ***NOT*** make the mount be swappable by the user?? It boggles the mind.

On the upside however we're now seeing a glorious explosion of options in PL lenses on the "affordable" end (although the Tokina lens is surprisingly expensive for its brand name).

http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/09/08/ibc-2016-tokina-35mm-50mm-85mm-t1-5-cinema-prime-16-28mm-ii-t3-lenses/

You can get them in Ef mount

2 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Sigma, Leica and now Tokina getting into the cine lens game. I didn't know the market for them was so big.  I wonder if any of these are enticing to pro DP's who are stuck to their cooke's, Panavisions and Zeiss's

There is a ***MASSIVE*** market underneath them of cinematographers who don't get to use Cooke's, Panavisions or Zeiss's on every shoot. 

7 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Sigma, Leica and now Tokina getting into the cine lens game. I didn't know the market for them was so big.  I wonder if any of these are enticing to pro DP's who are stuck to their cooke's, Panavisions and Zeiss's

Well, there are quite a few companies making cine housings for existing stills lenses. That's money that others are making from your products. So... why not do it yourself? You've got the right filling, now you just gotta find a different sized turkey for it. And it's easier if you're the manufacturer, then you don't have to take things apart and figure out how to make it work. You can make it come together quite nicely from start to finish. It's not really rocket science either. Everything's just bigger, less clicky and there's more metal, more travel. Sure that's an increase in manufacturing costs, but not that significantly I suppose. Someone that buys something like this doesn't really pay for the product's material worth...

There's just not a mass market with a need for cinema lenses (you're right, the market isn't so big), so... the price has to be up there in order for it to make sense business wise. If you can't make money with a small mark-up and selling 'em in in high quantities, you've got to make good money on the individual sales of which there are less. Although, personally, I'm not sure about the strategy of having re-housed affordable stills lenses (the existing Cinema ATX line-up) sell at 4000 bucks a pop or something... There's always actual cinema lenses rental (like the ones you mention) and if I'd be into purchasing re-housed stills lenses, I'd probably be more thinking along the lines of XEEN and might consider Veydra as well. I don't know how much market there is between people that need budgetfriendly and convenience and people who are willing to pay more and pick the best. I think the re-housed zooms have their place, but when you have to put together a set of cinema primes? Depends on how these primes turn out, but for that kinda money, wouldn't you just consider the household cinema brands (Canon CN-E, Zeiss CP.2, Schneider Xenon FF), instead of these Tokina lenses that are up there in price as well? I think they should lean more towards the approach of the Sony CineAlta line-up. Came down from 20k+ USD to 12499 USD for 6 lenses. That's a little over 2000 each. Of course, the trick here is that the Tokina's are fullframe covering, not just S35. Well, so are the XEEN primes listed as set of 5 for 9999 (again around 2000 each). I think that's where they need to be at for me personally to consider them.

-- Hum, anyone any experience with https://www.lockcircle.com/primecircle/ ? Gotta say, that looks really interesting!

31 minutes ago, maxmizer said:

Neat! :grin: Grazie! Looks like his are customs as well. You know, normally companies ask 500% of the actual worth because it's a cinema line-up. These are 30% more expensive modded out and are stunning!

On 9/9/2016 at 10:01 PM, Cinegain said:

Neat! :grin: Grazie! Looks like his are customs as well. You know, normally companies ask 500% of the actual worth because it's a cinema line-up. These are 30% more expensive modded out and are stunning!

Anyway, I think that you do not live far (Vienna) by Lookcircle Via della Libertà 1/A - 22012 Cernobbio (Como) - Italy  ... I also think that if you want you can go and see them ... for Italy distributor is here in Padua. http://www.ramaidea.it/it/

8 hours ago, maxmizer said:

Anyway, I think that you do not live far (Vienna) by Lookcircle Via della Libertà 1/A - 22012 Cernobbio (Como) - Italy  ... I also think that if you want you can go and see them ... for Italy distributor is here in Padua. http://www.ramaidea.it/it/

Definitely something to keep in mind. Thanks. I travel around quite a bit for business. Wish I'd known this when I was in Venice a couple of times this summer. Usually my schedule is pretty tight without much room to go roam around, but this summer I actually had some time to explore. Although... I had only checked the 50mm (the standard focal length I like a lot) that was quite cheap. It didn't quite imagine some of the others hitting a pricepoint of 4515,- EUR till I saw that them listed at that Italian retailer (for those kinda prices that's as well proper Zeiss CP.2, Canon CN-E and Schneider Xenon FF level, although those being very chunky lenses still of course and only the most expensive PrimeCircle is around that pricepoint, the others are still quite a bit cheaper (like the 50, I guess nifty too)). Currently I have the Veydra Mini Primes (at Kickstarter price), which serve me well and are at a pricepoint that kinda makes sense for the level I'm at (hence 'Filmrookie' below my nickname). But maybe in the future, doing more legit projects, when I need a set of lenses to cover bigger sensor cameras, but are still kinda cute in size... these definitly will fit the bill. Also. They have some great other stuff going on there with cages, matteboxes and other accessoires. All 'made in the Europe'! :grin: Nice.