Canon EOS M5: full pictures and spec

wolf33d

EOS-M5 video quality suck so bad

The original EOS-M with ML is still better.. so sad for Canon

Btw we use Canon C cameras at work, but I use Sony personally, was thinking getting EOS-M5 as additional cam for work but no thanks, even XC10's video quality is much better, guess will be still sticking with EOS-M + eoshd clog for c cam for work

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sony please take note of the touchscreen on this camera - high resolution, touch to move focus point - even when shooting through the EVF (so you don't have to push a button and then fiddle with a dial), touch to magnify and check focus (so you don't have to push a button and fiddle with a dial), touch to move around the magnified frame (so you don't have to push a button and fiddle with a dial), touch to pull focus while shooting video with a AF lens (so you don't have to push a button and hope the focus box stays on your subject - though it does that remarkably well) and so on. Please pull your heads out of your collective asses, steal this concept, and add it to all future E-mount cameras. The a7rII and a6300 are my last E-mount cameras without a fully functioning touchscreen.

Video on the M5 obviously aimed at what the promo videos talk about - people looking to upgrade from a phone - so it no longer interests me. But that damn touchscreen, love it. Hopefully Canon putting touchscreens on its flagship cameras will finally prompt Sony to add them as well. If you want people to use a shitty focus by wire system to shoot video with E-mount lenses, moving the focus point needs to be easier. Its my favorite feature of the a5100, but I can't get it on a higher end body, grrrrr....

Edit: And its not just Sony. Panasonic, please stop trying to sell that crappy DFD system as a competent AF in 2016, the capabilities of a decent PADF array make your offerings look laughably bad in comparison. The GH5 needs to move into the PADF realm if you want to try and convince stills heavy hybrid shooters to buy a G/GX/GH camera over the competition.

2 hours ago, ntblowz said:

EOS-M5 video quality suck so bad

The original EOS-M with ML is still better.. so sad for Canon

Btw we use Canon C cameras at work, but I use Sony personally, was thinking getting EOS-M5 as additional cam for work but no thanks, even XC10's video quality is much better, guess will be still sticking with EOS-M + eoshd clog for c cam for work

You use the Cinema cams as your A & B cams and the original eos-m as your C cam?

2 hours ago, Phil A said:

I'm baffled by the tilt screen... apparently it tilts 180° downwards. So, it tilts behind your tripod/stabilizer. What genius had that idea?

I think the idea is you (or the intended consumer) won't need a tripod due to the 5-Axis. 

19 minutes ago, mercer said:

I think the idea is you (or the intended consumer) won't need a tripod due to the 5-Axis. 

The people who need a selfie screen for video are typically people who do a VLOG, so they have the camera on a tripod, stabilizer or handhold the camera on a gorillapod. For these uses the flippedy screen is unusable, so you can only utilize it to photograph yourself while holding the camera in your hand (where by now most people I know would still use a selfie-stick or gorillapod to get a better perspective).
I stand by what I said, I think it's a design flaw, might as well have stopped at 90° tilt.

Really curious about the electronic digital stabilization though and if it has the wobbles like WarpStabilizer or the DIS of NX1.

6 hours ago, MattH said:

Lackluster HD when viewed on a HD monitor. In 2016.  Come on man. They've got dual pixel going for it, but for me its so close yet so far.

The lack of detail on this is stunning, looks abysmal.

Im also surprised how can they find the worst filmakers out there to do their presentation videos...way to go!

1 hour ago, Phil A said:

The people who need a selfie screen for video are typically people who do a VLOG, so they have the camera on a tripod, stabilizer or handhold the camera on a gorillapod. For these uses the flippedy screen is unusable, so you can only utilize it to photograph yourself while holding the camera in your hand (where by now most people I know would still use a selfie-stick or gorillapod to get a better perspective).
I stand by what I said, I think it's a design flaw, might as well have stopped at 90° tilt.

Really curious about the electronic digital stabilization though and if it has the wobbles like WarpStabilizer or the DIS of NX1.

I don't know. I think Canon designs their cameras for specific consumers and they market the features for those consumers.. The uploaded video alone makes me believe Canon sees this camera as being a second stills camera for the consumer/enthusiast still photographer that also shoots videos of their family while on vacation. With the 5-Axis IS, there's no need for a selfie stick.

If the 5-Axis on the XC10 is any indicator, it should be pretty good. I just threw together a couple clips that shows my first outing with the XC10's 5-Axis. With the XC10 it uses the lens' OIS for two of the axis' and 3-Axis electronic IBIS. If I remember correctly I was attempting to walk lightly...

4 hours ago, mercer said:

You use the Cinema cams as your A & B cams and the original eos-m as your C cam?

probably means c100, c300 etc

This camera ticks alot of boxes - 60p, stabilization, better screen, speedboosters, Canon colours, DPAF. Lets hope some efm mount active speedboosters start appearing. Cons for me - 8 bit, low bitrate, no 4k..

You would think it has the 80d image quality - we will see.

8 hours ago, Phil A said:

I'm baffled by the tilt screen... apparently it tilts 180° downwards. So, it tilts behind your tripod/stabilizer. What genius had that idea?

Exactly what I thought. Great for Vlogging! If you do all your vlogging handheld holding your camera above your head!

• Super Members
50 minutes ago, Lintelfilm said:

Exactly what I thought. Great for Vlogging! If you do all your vlogging handheld holding your camera above your head!

Never heard of selfies? :)

Dont forget, this is a stills camera for the average joe.

9 minutes ago, tugela said:

The screen tilting downwards is probably clearance related.

Using the touchscreen to move focus while looking through the EVF.....does that mean your cheek selects focus points for you? I think that feature is not going to be all that practical.

People that use it on other cameras today like it. Thats probably why its added.

52 minutes ago, Lintelfilm said:

Barmy!  What exaclty is supposed to be the disadvantage of side articulating screens anyway? You'd think once they'd figured it out for one camera they'd just have it for all cameras and have done with it.

14 minutes ago, tugela said:

The screen tilting downwards is probably clearance related.

Using the touchscreen to move focus while looking through the EVF.....does that mean your cheek selects focus points for you? I think that feature is not going to be all that practical.

I believe when you use the evf, the left side of the touchscreen is disabled. 

2 minutes ago, MattH said:

Barmy!  What exaclty is supposed to be the disadvantage of side articulating screens anyway? You'd think once they'd figured it out for one camera they'd just have it for all cameras and have done with it.

I actually like tilt screens better than side articulating screens. The camera feels unbalanced when the screen is out to the side. 

2 hours ago, Michael Coffee said:

probably means c100, c300 etc

This camera ticks alot of boxes - 60p, stabilization, better screen, speedboosters, Canon colours, DPAF. Lets hope some efm mount active speedboosters start appearing. Cons for me - 8 bit, low bitrate, no 4k..

You would think it has the 80d image quality - we will see.

Just unsure why an eos-m would be a C cam if you're A&B cams are high cinema cameras. But whatever. Yeah, I like the M5's potential. I am reserving the right to wait and see when more videos arise as this one is not a good indicator of its quality, or potential quality. 

crappy shit. overpriced and shitty video spec. Same thing with good 4K and CLOG would have been a monster.

Maybe with the FF version coming soon we will have better luck. Oh wait... it will have 5DIV sensor and same video specs AKA no CLOG and awful crop. Thanks but no.

Let's see now Sony A9 and nikon mirrorless... 2017 here we come