Canon EOS M5: full pictures and spec

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
27 minutes ago, EyeSoul said:

So the 1080p image of the m5 appears to be quite good or am I seeing things.

Yeah, it seems quite good. I hope the pricing rumor was true. 

BH has body only preorder price of $979. I need to hear more about the specs before I commit. Hopefully, it matches the 90mbps bitrate of the 80D. Am also hoping you get full access to the IBIS with EF lenses... And also manual lenses. If it's nearly as good as the 5-Axis on the XC10, then it will be amazing... Even with a crop. 

14 minutes ago, MattH said:

Lackluster HD when viewed on a HD monitor. In 2016.  Come on man. They've got dual pixel going for it, but for me its so close yet so far.

i was gonna make an ironic comment about how the video sucks but the music is great and then i was like Hmm some people might miss my sarcasm and... sure enough there it is second comment on the youtube page "Great video! What's the title of the music, thanks!"

4 minutes ago, Flynn said:

I think the video looks okay but if you want really nice looking Canon video you're gonna have to get one of their cinema cameras, which is a major bummer. At least it has DPAF. 

I don't think it looks ok. Look at the mountains edges at 1:24. Just horrible. Maybe turnig down the sharpening helps. Even the EOS CLOG may help. But the footage in this video is horrible IMHO.

1 hour ago, MattH said:

Lackluster HD when viewed on a HD monitor. In 2016.  Come on man. They've got dual pixel going for it, but for me its so close yet so far.

This isn't HD - it's like a pirated stream at 360p. 

That quality is absolutely terrible - my Canon XHA1 from 2008 shot better HD than this. 

To release this as a "launch movie" is crazy. 

Hopefully, like every camera launch movie, the person who made it hasn't done the camera justice.

4 hours ago, mercer said:

Yeah, it seems quite good. I hope the pricing rumor was true. 

BH has body only preorder price of $979. I need to hear more about the specs before I commit. Hopefully, it matches the 90mbps bitrate of the 80D. Am also hoping you get full access to the IBIS with EF lenses... And also manual lenses. If it's nearly as good as the 5-Axis on the XC10, then it will be amazing... Even with a crop. 

It records as mp4 files, so the bit rate will likely be lower. In the GX7MII these files are 35 mbps, and in the 80D they are 60 mbps.

1 hour ago, MattH said:

Simply stunning.....NOT! It looks even worse on a 1440p monitor.

From a video point of view this camera is not going to compete with any current model.

6 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Hopefully, like every camera launch movie, the person who made it hasn't done the camera justice.

The video is just horrible. They're capable of screwing it on purpose to move video shooters somewhere else. It's says beta and you may be right, the person doing it could be just oblivious to the video settings, but c'mon, that's the kind of camera we were asking from Canon. I hope they rectify somehow. 

13 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

That quality is absolutely terrible - my Canon XHA1 from 2008 shot better HD than this. 

Exactly. Thats the response to people who say 4k isnt everying. I actually agree with that, but its only true as long as the full HD is actually full HD quality.

13 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I think we both know that that isn't going to be the case. To be truthful I never expected this to have an increase in quality over other canon apsc stills cams anyway. I can see someone messing up sharpness and messing up the dynamic range. But I think the perceptive resolution pretty much is what it is.

• Super Members

Are we ever gonna learn not to use company promos on a highly compressed youtube stream as a measuring of camera performance? Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Sony, all of them look like absolute shit in the promos.
Wait for actual users.
We are going to have this same discussion when the GH5 and its first crap looking videos show up.

3 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Are we ever gonna learn not to use company promos on a highly compressed youtube stream as a measuring of camera performance? Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Sony, all of them look like absolute shit in the promos.
Wait for actual users.
We are going to have this same discussion when the GH5 and its first crap looking videos show up.

There's no chance that the GH5 promos will look like upscaled 720p.

50 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

"Maye"???
I rest my case. Don't use promos as measuring of new cameras.

Obviously you meant to quote 'maybe'.  Perhaps you didn't read my post before that when I admitted that sharpness and dynamic range were often messed up in promos.

I don't know what case you are resting.

What we are talking about here is the perceptive (aka actual) resolution.  You said that the GH4 promo looked like upscaled 720p.  Thats subjective, but everyone here can make their own opinion on that.  I would say that in terms of detail, the GH4, whether in the promo video or in general at least gives very detailed full hd when downscaled from 4k. The promo gave an accurate representation of the detail the camera delivers.  I would say that the canon promo video here in terms of detail gives not much more than 720p resolution. I see no reason to doubt that it too is giving an accurate representation of the detail the camera delivers

Expecting the output from the camera to magically increase in detail between now and release is in my opinion delusional.

All canon 1080p stills cams so far have not nearly aproached proper full HD detail, and there is no real reason to expect a change to that with this camera.

This video just seals the final side of the coffin with a row of 20 nail guns.