Canon EOS M5: full pictures and spec

wolf33d

45 minutes ago, Lintelfilm said:

No. I decided to go with the Sigma Art zooms and the Canon STM zooms as a complete lens kit. That way it's always a clear choice - image or pragmatism. If I had the 17-55 I'd always be conflicted. If I could only have one set of lenses it'd be the Canon 17-55 and 70-200 f/2.8

That makes sense. I decided to go with the 35mm f2 IS. I'm really looking for something to use along side the XC10 in 1080p, for close ups, so the fast prime made more sense and Canon USA is having a sale on their refurbished lenses. However, if I enjoy the DPAF, I will probably consider the 17-55mm, or the 24-70mm f4.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 hours ago, mercer said:

Yes as flexible as e mount, not as much as m4/3 obviously. 

Any lens that can be mounted on M4/3 can be mounted on E mount but not the other way around.     M4/3 lenses CAN be adapted to E mount though for most there is little point.

You do get vignetting issues with smaller mount lenses but even then you can overcome that using variable digitalzoom/clearzoom for video (or stills).    

With the FF E mount cameras at least you also get APSC and FF modes so I consider E mount to be much more flexible.

I find I actually prefer the M4/3 Oly 15mm Bodycap "lens" on my A7s than on my GX7.

50 minutes ago, mercer said:

That makes sense. I decided to go with the 35mm f2 IS. I'm really looking for something to use along side the XC10 in 1080p, for close ups, so the fast prime made more sense and Canon USA is having a sale on their refurbished lenses. However, if I enjoy the DPAF, I will probably consider the 17-55mm, or the 24-70mm f4.

There was a korean guy who sold modified speedbooster with the EF contacts.

17 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

RJ makes speed boosters for the eos-m but they are just dummy adapters. Unless the price of the M5 is astronomical, I am probably going to get one. I may pick up an RJ for Nikon. Do you have a link to the Korean? Or where you saw it listed? Oh yeah, where you been lately... Did you buy a rangefinder from ES?

5 minutes ago, mercer said:

RJ makes speed boosters for the eos-m but they are just dummy adapters. Unless the price of the M5 is astronomical, I am probably going to get one. I may pick up an RJ for Nikon. Do you have a link to the Korean? Or where you saw it listed? Oh yeah, where you been lately... Did you buy a rangefinder from ES?

I've been having some fun ;)

I don't know where I saw it, but I believe he took the contacts from the official adapter and put them either on one of the cheap turbos or he modded an official speedbooster (which you can do on your own because the eosm mount has the same flange distance as the emount). I believe it was the latter.

I can't find it right now, but he was selling them on ebay (but I found it on some forum first)

If this can deliver good very good 1080 (Better than the 80d which is better than normal but still looks blury compared to downscalled 4k) and it has the HDR mode that the 5D mk4 then it will have my interest.  If not then I don't see the point.   I like that there are some manual dials now.  As for looks. I think the body looks good, though the hump doesnt fit.  It should be more angular and sleeker like the top plate of the body.  Though the fact that it looks more like a DSLR will mean that it sells better in the west now I think.

Won't be too disappointed if we see moire and aliasing in the 1080p as with the 80D, sensor is likely to be the same and the Digic 7 which is also used in the G7XII has not resulted in an improvement in video quality.

I still find this a great improvement by Canon of its mirrorless line and a step in the right direction.

11 hours ago, Nikkor said:

You can buy them on Ebay still, the problem is that the quality of the glass is pretty crap, hence the reason why I'm going to make my own out of an E-mount LTii.

6 hours ago, LippyLee said:

Won't be too disappointed if we see moire and aliasing in the 1080p as with the 80D, sensor is likely to be the same and the Digic 7 which is also used in the G7XII has not resulted in an improvement in video quality.

I still find this a great improvement by Canon of its mirrorless line and a step in the right direction.

The HD encoder logic in the Digic 7 is probably the same as that in the Digic 6, so you would not expect to see a difference with HD. Using the G7XII video as a reference point will be misleading as a result.

Canon is the most reliable company out there. In terms of built, precision, ergonomics, color it beats most of the contenders. I think our frustration towards canon is that we all would like to see a xc10 kind of camera with a full frame sensor, reading 4k at 8ms maximum, with different codec flavours ( i really dont mind the MJPEG 62MB 8 bit 422 but 10 bit 422 h.265 would also be nice), no crop, DPAF, ibis,  c-log, and interchangeble mount or at least a fix constant aperture 2.8 zoom lens. Maybe in 2020.

Canon Rumors posted a possible price leak. It's a low level rumor, but if true, I'll be pre ordering a body.

Body - $899

With 15-45mm - $1098

With 18-150mm - $1198

The interesting part is the rumor that the body only and the kit with 15-45mm will get a $100 discount during preorder.

32 minutes ago, mercer said:

Canon Rumors posted a possible price leak. It's a low level rumor, but if true, I'll be pre ordering a body.

Body - $899

With 15-45mm - $1098

With 18-150mm - $1198

The interesting part is the rumor that the body only and the kit with 15-45mm will get a $100 discount during preorder.

If you follow the link in the rumor to the website you will find the original post. After google translate you get this:

"Just go back to sleep a sleep , dream saw EOS M5 empty body price is $ 899 magnesium , magnesium sale price is $ 799 . $ 199 with 15-45 lens plus magnesium , so pricing is $ 1098 magnesium , magnesium sale price is $ 998 . If the match is 18-150 lens, pricing and pre-sale price is $ 1198 magnesium.
Dreamed this price , I cried in a dream after a while decided to buy the A6300 ."

This rumor comes from nothing more than a dream, literally. 

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:19 PM, Tiago Rosa-Rosso said:

In terms of built, precision, ergonomics, color it beats most of the contenders..

I would dispute that. Not saying they are bad, but they are not ahead of others in those departments either.

3 hours ago, iamoui said:

If you follow the link in the rumor to the website you will find the original post. After google translate you get this:

"Just go back to sleep a sleep , dream saw EOS M5 empty body price is $ 899 magnesium , magnesium sale price is $ 799 . $ 199 with 15-45 lens plus magnesium , so pricing is $ 1098 magnesium , magnesium sale price is $ 998 . If the match is 18-150 lens, pricing and pre-sale price is $ 1198 magnesium.
Dreamed this price , I cried in a dream after a while decided to buy the A6300 ."

This rumor comes from nothing more than a dream, literally. 

What? Is that not good enough for a rumor?

54 minutes ago, gatopardo said:

Sensor: Effective pixels 24.2 million pixel APS-C CMOS (total number of pixels 25.8 million pixels)

Those extra pixels are used for the electronic stabilization process?

It's normal that a sensor has more actual pixel than effectively used, you'll find that with most if not all DSLR and MILC.

1 hour ago, ivanku said:

This does look really interesting, but the wording of "electronic 5 axis stabilization" is  not a good sign. Maybe it's nothing, but sounds like it may be a software gimmick rather than a true suspended sensor

Check the results from the XC10, looks pretty good to me. And it's silent, unlike the constant hum you get from a suspended sensor.