Sony G 18-110mm f4.0 PZ

JurijTurnsek

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Far from perfect in my opinion... The range seems OK and has manual rings but I bet it is focus-by-wire and zoom-by-wire like the 28-135 F4, you know, the "better" kind of focus-by-wire, but still... and F4 is too slow. We'll have to see how it performs before casting judgement but I don't find it more appealing than a Canon 24-105L with Speedboster Ultra that becomes a 16-70 f2.8

Personally it would interest me if it were 16mm on the wide end. A 16-55/2.8 would have been much more useful with clear image zoom extending the long end. 

Given its still lame-o focus by wire, the current 18-105 sells for $500 used. Can't see much of a reason to buy the Cine lens over the PZ, a speedbooster and a zoom or even something like the Canon 17-55/2.8. 

Glad aps-c isn't completely dead in Sony land, but Meh. 

23 hours ago, Flynn said:

I wonder how much smaller it is than the full frame lens, which is enormous.

Oddly enough, I just saw a tourist use the 28-135mm as a walkabout lens for his visit to the old center of Ljubljana and it didn't look huge at all. The whole setup looked like your average FF DSLR with a general purpose zoom.

$3500, brutal. That's quite an arsenal of Sony glass or a speed booster and a slew of (insert your favorite lens here) lenses. I liked the 28-135, but there were so many two zoom options that were better optically and could be had for less - for example the Nikon Bourne zooms and a speedbooster - that it just didn't make sense for me. Its great that Sony is producing top quality lenses, but their pricing is really out of whack.

On 9/9/2016 at 0:29 PM, IronFilm said:

That is **VERY** strange!! 

As that makes it over a thousand dollars more expensive than the 28-135mm f4 lens! Which is itself is seen as overpriced (can very easily be picked up secondhand for a much cheaper price),

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1082051-REG/sony_selp28135g_e_pz_28_135mm_f_4.html

Well, I just heard a Sony rep at IBC via Newsshooter and Cinema 5D stating that the price will be 4000€, which is 4500$ (though I have the feeling it will be cheaper than that in the US). Overpriced? It is true that you can have a faster-aperture-similar-range Canikon SLR zoom with speedbooster (that would probably be my choice) but it's true they are not the same as a true ENG lens. This 18-110 seems to be very different from the 28-135 which in my opinion is a failed lens (wrong range, non-parfocal, and terrible by-wire ring controls). Everything is mechanic, both the zoom and the focus rings, and is follow focus compatible out of the box. It tries to compete in the league of the new Angenieux, Zeiss and Canon "affordable" S35 ENG zooms, and at 4000€ it really is much cheaper and compact than any of them...

I know I will probably rent it, but being f4 @ 4K, it really really has to be amazing to be worth buying over a Canon 24-105 or the Bourne zooms + speedbooster

21 minutes ago, pablogrollan said:

Well, I just heard a Sony rep at IBC via Newsshooter and Cinema 5D stating that the price will be 4000€, which is 4500$ (though I have the feeling it will be cheaper than that in the US). Overpriced? It is true that you can have a faster-aperture-similar-range Canikon SLR zoom with speedbooster (that would probably be my choice) but it's true they are not the same as a true ENG lens. This 18-110 seems to be very different from the 28-135 which in my opinion is a failed lens (wrong range, non-parfocal, and terrible by-wire ring controls). Everything is mechanic, both the zoom and the focus rings, and is follow focus compatible out of the box. It tries to compete in the league of the new Angenieux, Zeiss and Canon "affordable" S35 ENG zooms, and at 4000€ it really is much cheaper and compact than any of them...

I know I will probably rent it, but being f4 @ 4K, it really really has to be amazing to be worth buying over a Canon 24-105 or the Bourne zooms + speedbooster

This isn't a true parfocal lens either.